Can't figure out my dominate eye!

Try to make 5 pistol or revolver shots using right eye and 5 shots using your left eye. If you shoot much better with one eye, use it!

I've been right handed in all things my whole life, except shooting a rifle. My dad kept switching my hands ( I was probably was about eight ) but he finally gave up. I shot BB guns, .22 & Shotguns this way until I was about twenty. I had about a twenty-five year firearm sabbatical. I started shooting again about three years ago. I had never really fired a handgun up to that point.

I started with my right hand and I didn't do very well as I was using my left eye, and bringing my right arm across my body and tilting my head. Then I tried using my right eye and I was even worse.

Next, I tried shooting with both eyes open, I have Double Vision (Binocular Diplopia) and shooting between the two guns that I was seeing. I did better.

Eventually I tried left handed & left eye. This is where I belong, but it took a little while to figure it out. I would say based on my expirence, shoot a handgun the same way you shoot a rifle.

That said, I have a guy who works for me and he's almost blind in his right eye, shoot handguns rightie and his AR leftie, and he's a much better shot than me with both, go figure[hmmm].

When I look at anything two feet away or closer I have to fight to keep my eyes from crossing. Open the picture I've attached and follow the instructions. If you can't make it work, move further back from the computer screen or save the picture and resize it smaller. The trick is when you get the third white dot, hold it, then look down. If you keep loosing it, substitute the lakes in the pictures for the white dots. You should be seeing a 3D image. I don't have to work at this, I just relax my eyes and I'm seeing a 3D image of this picture [thumbsup].

Yikes, I was searching someting and stumbled across this thread today. I just realized it was over two years old. I hope you've figured it out rufunky [grin] .

Attachments

• Binocular Diplopic Image.jpg
    Binocular Diplopic Image.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
you can also put scotch tape on your shooting glasses over dominate eye to get the brain use to using the weak eye

Team Bacon is right on here. 10% of men and near 50% of women has some sort of cross dominance issues. Using tape or a Vaseline smudge on your weak eye lens will insure that you use your dominate eye while getting some benefit of having both eyes open. I've also used a "pirate" eye patch with some students. You can get one at CVS for about $4

I'm right handed but left eye dominant. I shoot handguns right handed but long guns left handed. Here is another way to check. Same principle:

With both eves open hold a pencil upright and line it up with something (tree, pole,) now close one eye and see if the pencil and object are still aligned. If they are then the open eye is your dominant eye.

Back
Top Bottom