Cant buy used guns out of state at kittery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was at kittery trading post today looking at used revolvers...was about to make my purchase with a FFL transfer and than the dealer hits me with the "Oh you're from MA"...
Because used guns could be modified (trigger pull for revolvers) they aren't able to sell used guns and about 95% of their new inventory isn't MA compliant as well which left me with like 1 or two revolvers... Shooting guns is a nice hobby while living in MA.

Interstate sales of handguns is a nono federally.
Not a state issue. And if it’s not on the roster, you’re limited on ways to get it in MA.

this, you’d need To have them ship to a mass ffl anyway, no? Who needs that headache?

Yeah, a mass ffl is super common & easy to do, not a headache. You go look at what you want, you buy it, they ship it, you register & pick it up.
If it's on the firearm roster than you're good to go. I was just surprised you can't buy used revolvers due to trigger pull modification. Makes sense just figured with revolvers it was worth a shot anyways.

Makes no sense at all actually. I'm not aware of any revolvers that have different triggers for different states - do they??

Apparently ruger does, and therefore the only one or two MA compliant revolvers they carried were ruger. They were carry revolvers which I don't have a need for as I already have an EDC.

My main goal was to find something cheaper (under $500) for the range (not a 22) and I know they have such a great used selection, which oh boy did they have some nice used revolvers in that price range.

Unfortunately, because I live in a state such as Massachusetts, I can't BUY any of them from that store and have them transferred.

Most the stores near me don't have that nice of a used selection for revolvers. I might check out the collectors gallery in stoneham, any other recommendations?

another case of a big retailer deciding doing business in or with Massachusetts is not worth the aggravation.

I would not put it past the MA AG's office to send a minion to Kittery to purchase a handgun, have a gun sent to a MA FFL, have the minion do the transfer, then have the gun inspected by a MSP Armorer looking for some perceived violation of a CMR, Law or made up rule not only to hang Kittery but the FFL in the process.

Yeah, a mass ffl is super common & easy to do, not a headache. You go look at what you want, you buy it, they ship it, you register & pick it up.
If it's on the firearm roster than you're good to go. I was just surprised you can't buy used revolvers due to trigger pull modification. Makes sense just figured with revolvers it was worth a shot anyways.
Not for you lol. For the seller. Guns are selling themselves. Not surprised Nh and Maine aren’t catering to mass residents

I would not put it past the MA AG's office to send a minion to Kittery to purchase a handgun, have a gun sent to a MA FFL, have the minion do the transfer, then have the gun inspected by a MSP Armorer looking for some perceived violation of a CMR, Law or made up rule not only to hang Kittery but the FFL in the process.

And absolutely none of that would land at Kittery’s feet.

They just don’t want the hassle of a MA FFL sending it back to Kittery because it can’t be transferred

Was at kittery trading post today looking at used revolvers...was about to make my purchase with a FFL transfer and than the dealer hits me with the "Oh you're from MA"...
Because used guns could be modified (trigger pull for revolvers) they aren't able to sell used guns and about 95% of their new inventory isn't MA compliant as well which left me with like 1 or two revolvers... Shooting guns is a nice hobby while living in MA.
Sometimes you get a moron at KTP. I had a guy ask for my LTC when purchasing a musket. A MUSKET! ... AN 1850 original muzleloader.

It is simple, if a MA FFL is willing to do the transfer, Kittery should ship ot to the FFL. Kittery is not breaking any laws by shipping from FFL to FFL.

Good luck finding someone to do the transfer.

And the modified use gun BS WTF is that all about? LOL. Every gun can be modified. Looks like someone there lost some brain cells during COVID.

They just don’t want the hassle of a MA FFL sending it back to Kittery because it can’t be transferred

it would still cost them the time and effort of telling Maura to EABOD

another case of a big retailer deciding doing business in or with Massachusetts is not worth the aggravation.

That would not affect KTP at all. KTP is not breaking any laws in your example.

Sometimes you get a moron at KTP. I had a guy ask for my LTC when purchasing a musket. A MUSKET! ... AN 1850 original muzleloader.

It is simple, if a MA FFL is willing to do the transfer, Kittery should ship ot to the FFL. Kittery is not breaking any laws by shipping from FFL to FFL.

Good luck finding someone to do the transfer.

And the modified use gun BS WTF is that all about? LOL. Every gun can be modified. Looks like someone there lost some brain cells during COVID.

You’re pretty spot on. He didn’t seem like the sharpest tool in the shed. I asked him that, if the dealer is willing to do the FFL isn’t that on them and he gave me an unsure and hesitant “no”. Who the f*** is going to know if my revolver had a 4.9 lb trigger pull or a 5.1 trigger pull at the time I bought it.

AFAIK, Kittery stopped doing transfers to MA after the 1998 gun law was passed. I remember going there in the early 1990s (when I didn't have money for guns) and they had a list of MA FFLs that they had agreements with for transfers.

Since then, they have refused to sell handguns to MA residents. They will sell long guns, I've bought a few from them. Those don't require going through a MA FFL.

They can transfer any gun they'd like to a MA FFL. The MA FFL can not sell a non compliant handgun to a MA LTC holder. It would be the MA FFL that would get into crap, not Kittery. Maura has no magical powers to try and indict a ME FFL.

Note that I'm not talking about frame transfers since they aren't part of this thread.

At least not yet. ;)

It's not because your a mass resident .....it's because you are not a Maine resident and buying a handgun. An ffl has to receive the handgun in your home state and have the transfer done there. All you needed to do was call a mass ffl and see if they would accept the transfer. But....ktp has probably had many issues with mass ffl sending guns back they get scared of transferring so they just don't do handguns to mass ffl.

Long guns different story. I've probably purchased 10 Iong guns at ktp cash and carry and I'm a mass resident.

Last edited:
this, you’d need To have them ship to a mass ffl anyway, no? Who needs that headache?
Correct. Ship to mass ffl and pick it up there. I never even look at handuns at ktp too mu h of a hassle. I buy a shit ton of long guns at ktp though.

I've never heard of this trigger mod problem with used handguns. The clerk was probably full of shit. Did the clerk actually tell you that or are you "supposing" that's why? I've dealt with ktp for decades and their gun shop clerk's are pretty knowledgeable.

It's. It because your a mass resident .....it's because you are not a Maine resident and buying a handgun. An ffl has to receive the handgun in your home state and have the transfer dome there. All you needed to do was call a mass ffl and see if they would accept the transfer.

Long guns different story. I've probably purchased 10 Iong guns at ktp cash and carry and I'm a mass resident.

You can't honestly think that I'm missing that.

Reactions: AHM

Lol dude its a box store, just give it up, box stores are never going to send handguns into MA, that includes Kittery, SO, etc, so on and so forth.

This is most likely the case.

Fwiw used long guns at ktp are cash and carry even for a mass resident. I've bought many up there.

Oh I gave it up. Too bad, I guess I'll just buy handguns instate for now on.
Or shop around for an ffl in mass that will transfer in what you want and shop online. They are out there.

You’re pretty spot on. He didn’t seem like the sharpest tool in the shed. I asked him that, if the dealer is willing to do the FFL isn’t that on them and he gave me an unsure and hesitant “no”. Who the f*** is going to know if my revolver had a 4.9 lb trigger pull or a 5.1 trigger pull at the time I bought it.

This isn't even about liability, likely that policy is rooted off the debacle a bounced transfer is likely to cause.

Example. Some guy buys a handgun, lets say an M&P 2.0 9mm. They call an MA FFL, MA FFL says "oh yawah weeuh will transfer that"

Someone f***s up and forgets to ask all the right question. (Is this compliant, is this the right SKU with f***ed trigger, 10 round mags, etc)

Gun gets sent down. Anal retentive MA FFL opens box and finds out its not one of the f***ing broken MA guns and is a normal one and didnt have crippled mags to boot.

MA FFL throws a shit fit "BWEAH THIS ISNT COMPLYANT BWEAH!!!! ZOMG WERE ALL GONNA DIE!"

Or lets say it was a revolver. MA FFL opens box and goes "BWEAH THIS IS A 625-3 not the one on DA ROSTAH WERE ALL GONNA DIE!" (or something else
stupid like that, its very easy for someone to drop vital info.

Either way, Entire transfer is bounced and is a shitshow. MA dealer has to ship it back (incurs costs, which KTP will eat more than likely, etc). So at the end of the
whole thing KTP burns an hour of staff time plus all that shipping money. All set on fire. To try to make like, 50 bucks on a handgun. Not worth it.

That's why foreign box stores usually don't send handguns into MA. That only has to happen like two or three times to make them just say "f*** it, don't even bother".

Then they would have to train sales people on something that likely accounts for less than 2% of their firearm sales anyways. KTP isnt going to get within a mile of a southern NH shop or
other discounter in MA anyways on a used handgun.

The whole exercise is a waste of time for them.

Forget about the trigger. Is a lie he told you. He is ignorant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom