• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

CANCELLED!!!! Woburn Action Shooters October 15th USPSA Style Match

johniac7078

NES Member
I am really sad to have to make this announcement, but Saturday's match has been canceled. Please help me get the word out.

Furthermore, IDPA and USPSA style shooting is suspended indefinitely. Hopefully not for long, but at least for this month.

At last night's general membership meeting, members of the primitive firearms discipline brought up a motion to essentially prohibit IDPA and USPSA for using the black powder range citing bogus safety concerns. Unfortunately, I was not able to attend due to a work function (yes I have a job and supporting my family comes first).

Here is a little of what went down. My responses are in CAPS.

Chairman of Black Powder raised a motion to return the Black Powder range to use by primitive firearms only.

Reasons for change:

1. Safety - Live rounds left on range. Claims there are high shots on post up to 8 ft, high. (WE NOTED HIGH SHOTS BEFORE IDPA EVER SHTO THERE). Concerned about rounds leaving the range due to "action" style shooting.(WE HAVE SHOT 250,000 ROUNDS AT LEAST, NO ISSUES). Concerned that with the round telephone poles can cause ricochets in unknown directions. (BOGUS)

2. No one cleaned up all the brass (I WOULD BE HAPPY TO FIX THIS).

3. One of the telephone poles is "shot to hell" and needs to be replaced (SEE ABOVE).

During the course of the discussion it was also brought up that the original permissions to use the range never came in front of the membership and it was a board decision. They felt the original decision should have come in front of the board.

The members in attendance latched on the BOGUS safety aspect and voted in favor of the motion.

The head of Black Powder stated after the meeting "that no one asked him if we could use the range. You came in and "shot the hell out of the range", "let a mess" and left. "" Other stated that " drawing from a holster was unsafe and we should all go the Harvard and shoot it up and leave WSA alone the way it used to be."

Other also said, it was never voted on by membership. This is false. It was voted on and the entire basis for installation of the walls on the outdoor pistol range. We stated that we will use the black powder range from the very beginning.

So here we are. Without the use of that range, we do not have enough ranges to hold matches, or the MA State IDPA Championship. I am trying to fix this, but it will not happen by tomorrow. While this match was approved, I don't feel comfortable
holding a match at which a bunch of conflicts could arise, and I will not violate decisions based on votes.

I am really sorry about all this. I am sick over it. I have spent countless hours on this program. Along with others, we brought in the MA state IDPA championship and have increased membership. IDPA has paid back to the club every penny the provided and is now running in the black. Yet we killed by a handful of people that think they own a range.

Now it could all be over.

And we wonder why the politicians run all over gun owners.

Regretfully,

John Iacomini

Last edited:
Always good to hear about another USPSA club starting up. Probably can't make the match due to family responsibilities but hope things run well for you.

PS - USPSA has ROs rather than SOs....[wink]

what all do you mean by 'USPSA style match' I understand the club is not yet USPSA affiliated , but I wonder what the match will be like.

will you be following the current USPSA rule book?

what is 'tactical division' ? -this is an option on your practiscore registration page

couple q's:

newbies welcome?
do you have to be a member of the club?
which class to select if never participated?

i google the rest,

thanks!

couple q's:

newbies welcome?

i google the rest,

thanks!

Newbies are welcome and you don't have to be a member of the club. You're third question I can't answer as I'm new to USPSA also.

couple q's:

newbies welcome?

i google the rest,

thanks!

The division is more likely to be decided by what you're shooting.

10rd mags, unmodified, iron sights is typically production

There's also limited, open, revolver, and I'm sure one or two more. higher capacity magazines and/or optics will put you in one of those divisions.

Last edited:
The class is more likely to be decided by what you're shooting.

10rd mags, unmodified, iron sights is typically production

There's also limited, open, revolver, and I'm sure one or two more. higher capacity magazines and/or optics will put you in one of those classes.

You're confusing "division" with "class". Class is basically you're skill level while division is dictated by the gun you're using.

You're confusing "division" with "class". Class is basically you're skill level while division is dictated by the gun you're using.

In my defense, he confused it first and I didn't catch it :D

As for your class / ranking, it's based on your last four classifier results as a USPSA member. There's articles out there how they calculate it.

Newbies are welcome, but you have to be safe.

You DO NOT have to be a club member.

I think you mean division. Dont worry, bring what you have a 5 mags, we will help you out.

I'm SO glad that Hopkinton decided to do away with the bar many years ago and focus on being a GUNCLUB!

Now if we can just do something about that pesky town bylaw prohibiting full auto................

tommy-submachine-gun.gif

Last edited:
I could be wrong, but I don't think that WSA has a bar. So it is fudds fighting this, not the bar crowd (though that may be a distinction without a difference).

No bar, but we do have a Tilted Kilt nearby! This news stinks!
Fingers crossed for a quick and permanent fix!

No bar, but a favorite activity on some ranges is to shoot for 5 mnutes and then sit in an air conditioned shack and drink beer.

Looks like a "turf war" to me. Competing interests fighting over the available facilities. I hope a solution can be reached, the folks at WSA put on a great match.

I think an appropriate response would be to vote out Primitive firearms completely since they are significantly more dangerous than modern firearms, they legally aren't firearms at all, and the users of said firearms look stupid in period garb. If they want to play dress up, they should do it at home.

I didn't go looking for a perfect example of someone granting an imaginary liquor license to a shooting club in one rhetorical flourish, followed by a serious discussion of how that fact could then be used to debase those members whose judgement you don't agree with. It's a human thing I guess...

I've been to multiple idpa practices over there on Sunday's and there has been nothing but safe practice on that old and already beat up black powder range. The woburn action shooters are great guys and definitely know how to run a practice safely. If those dust bags wanna shoot their primitive weapons they should get back on the mayflower and get the hell out of here. Drawing from a holster is a fact of life if you want to be proficient with a fire arm and even more so when you carry concealed. Once again a few cry babies ruin real world safe shooting practices. Keep packing those wads WSA cuz the British are coming.

I've been to multiple idpa practices over there on Sunday's and there has been nothing but safe practice on that old and already beat up black powder range. The woburn action shooters are great guys and definitely know how to run a practice safely. If those dust bags wanna shoot their primitive weapons they should get back on the mayflower and get the hell out of here. Drawing from a holster is a fact of life if you want to be proficient with a fire arm and even more so when you carry concealed. Once again a few cry babies ruin real world safe shooting practices. Keep packing those wads WSA cuz the British are coming.

Thanks. There are a few of us who work hard to make the practices good and productive. It is nice to hear someone say good things.

Next practice 10/23 @4:00pm at the indoor range. Not sure what I am going to concentrate on but I am thinking some transitions left, right, left and maybe some low light work.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom