CANCELLED!!!! Woburn Action Shooters October 15th USPSA Style Match

Just for closure here there was a very productive and remarkably civil meeting last night with the WSA Board of Directors, the Chairman of the black powder range that brought up the complaints, and many of the IDPA members. It seems to me a lot of it was based on lack of communication and some assumptions that were easily disproven thanks to ddraper who did some valuable research and documentation of the range conditions. The immediate results were that scheduled matches will continue for now and will be allowed to use the black powder range if needed. Valid safety concerns will be addressed by a special committee to be formed. The board continued to express support for IDPA/USPSA and recognized that new disciplines that bring in members need to be supported. It seems likely, based on how this meeting went, that the various disciplines that want to use that particular range will be able to continue to share it in the future once the committee does it's work and all parties can come to agreement on particulars. In the meantime, the last scheduled club match of the season (Nov 5) will continue as planned.

Just for closure here there was a very productive and remarkably civil meeting last night with the WSA Board of Directors, the Chairman of the black powder range that brought up the complaints, and many of the IDPA members. It seems to me a lot of it was based on lack of communication and some assumptions that were easily disproven thanks to ddraper who did some valuable research and documentation of the range conditions. The immediate results were that scheduled matches will continue for now and will be allowed to use the black powder range if needed. Valid safety concerns will be addressed by a special committee to be formed. The board continued to express support for IDPA/USPSA and recognized that new disciplines that bring in members need to be supported. It seems likely, based on how this meeting went, that the various disciplines that want to use that particular range will be able to continue to share it in the future once the committee does it's work and all parties can come to agreement on particulars. In the meantime, the last scheduled club match of the season (Nov 5) will continue as planned.

That's fantastic news! Now more than ever, gun owners need to employ a 'big tent' approach to the particular interests of other gun owners.

Congrats, I look forward to making it to some of your future matches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the kind words. All I did was go to the range and spend a few hours documenting, measuring and photographing all the errant bullet holes. I picked a few slugs out also just to see what kind and size they were. Other work was basically documenting damage on the range and then looking at some of the angles from shooting positions to the errant shots etc. and inspection of the berms and brush levels/height.

The bottom line was, as I said last night to the Chairman of the BP range, there is no way they went down and inspected the range before making the accusations of safety violations. If they had they would have discovered the same thing as I did. Most to all of the errant shots were too large a caliber, 50 or 60, to be pistol rounds and the slugs I picked out were not pistol rounds. This then makes the discussion about general safety for all activities on that range and not IDPA/USPSA alone.

I am looking forward to serving on the new committee for that range. I think there are several things we can do to improve over all safety and also there are a few maintenance projects that need to be done.

Last edited:
Fixed it for you.

Ha Ha! There was an old timer there at the meeting that was having a fit because he didn't want anyone on the range who wasn't shooting a "primitive" firearm.

Bottom line. Even with IDPA and Cowboy Action Shooting that range is underutilized. There are about 8 to 12 BP guys who use the range for BP and that is it. One sign in sheet covered a few months. They said it was because no one signs in. I said get your people to sign in or we will never know how much the range is used. Absolutely nothing against these guys and I absolutely want them to shoot however they need to share the range. They indicated that Sunday morning and Thursday afternoons is when they shoot. Good, make those times for BP only and then arrange a fair and equitable schedule for the rest of time so the range is used rather than sitting empty. Of course that is going to include first come, first use times when nothing specific is scheduled. I don't want to take over the range. I just want an agreement where we can share the range and after speaking with the Chairman of BP a few times in the last week I am absolutely convinced we can work together and get there. The lines of communication have been opened and now we can move forward to the benefit of everyone.

Fixed it for you.

HAHA, nice!

- - - Updated - - -

Ha Ha! There was an old timer there at the meeting that was having a fit because he didn't want anyone on the range who wasn't shooting a "primitive" firearm.

Bottom line. Even with IDPA and Cowboy Action Shooting that range is underutilized. There are about 8 to 12 BP guys who use the range for BP and that is it. One sign in sheet covered a few months. They said it was because no one signs in. I said get your people to sign in or we will never know how much the range is used. Absolutely nothing against these guys and I absolutely want them to shoot however they need to share the range. They indicated that Sunday morning and Thursday afternoons is when they shoot. Good, make those times for BP only and then arrange a fair and equitable schedule for the rest of time so the range is used rather than sitting empty. Of course that is going to include first come, first use times when nothing specific is scheduled. I don't want to take over the range. I just want an agreement where we can share the range and after speaking with the Chairman of BP a few times in the last week I am absolutely convinced we can work together and get there. The lines of communication have been opened and now we can move forward to the benefit of everyone.

Awesome Dave!

Back
Top Bottom