canadian candle

Hope to see some pictures and reports from people that try it this weekend, especially if anyone goes the smaller branches route.
IN
I just have to decied if I'm going to axe split they bailing wire a log back together, or cut slits with a chain saw. Seems by sawing the slits the log should stay together a long time.

FAIL

I couldn't get it to light. It's oak (or maple?) that's been in my covered wood pile for over year. The twigs were nice and dry but it seemed like there wasn't enough draft inside for the twigs to get going. I did everything short of pouring a few ounces of gas down the grooves.

I think I'll split it and wire it back together. That will give more room for kindling and air. But, I'm thinking this won't work well with a hard wood like oak.

SAM_0337_zpsa6f405a5.jpg

FAIL

I couldn't get it to light. It's oak (or maple?) that's been in my covered wood pile for over year. The twigs were nice and dry but it seemed like there wasn't enough draft inside for the twigs to get going. I did everything short of pouring a few ounces of gas down the grooves.

I think I'll split it and wire it back together. That will give more room for kindling and air. But, I'm thinking this won't work well with a hard wood like oak.

SAM_0337_zpsa6f405a5.jpg
Yeah doesn't look like enough room for kindling or airflow.

Squatch, did you cut/split it all the way through and tie it tighter on the bottom and looser on the top, to open it up? At least pull the top and sides open to get some air flow.

2013-11-21 16.27.22.jpg
2013-11-21 16.28.37.jpg 2013-11-21 14.33.36.jpg

I tried it today... I did it with a smaller log and it worked great! Just leaves and twigs. I got a cup of water to boil in less than 4 minutes... Very impressed!
The first one I did I started with my home made fire starter, bacon grease and egg carton (with newspaper), man that lit up really fast! Even though the logs I used were small they burned for over 2.5 hours, and put out a good amount of heat, definitely need to try this on a camping trip!

Back
Top Bottom