canadian candle

Tried out a new form of cooking in the woods last weekend. Its called a Canadian candle. Basically you split a three footish length of log into four pieces ties the bottom together with vines, cordage, zip ties whatever is in hand, pile some rocks around the base to make it sturdy. Stuff some small twigs in between the split pieces in an x pattern and light the twigs. Let the twigs burn off and the walls will be lit. Now you out your pot or pan on top and have a couple hours of cooking time. If you don't have the means of splitting larger wood a few length of 2-4" diameter branches can be substituted. This method is fairly low profile very little flame or smoke yet will boil a large pot of water quickly. Its self feeding and very efficient.IMG_20131102_132845_310.jpgIMG_20131102_135305_768.jpgIMG_20131102_135939_172.jpgIMG_20131102_140728_563.jpg

awsome, thanks for sharing. did you just let it smolder or did you keep feeding sticks into it?

Looks cool. I would suggest a small grate to grill whatever you want to grill. The only thing that concerns me is extinguishing the log.

Saw precut versions for sale at the supermarket on the NH/Vermont border a year ago.

I keep promising myself to make a dozen with a chainsaw at my camp .... Maybe next week ..

Great post. I have seen that type of fire used in Finland , they used it for not only heat but cooking. They would set up a few of them, one to cook, another to dry out their clothes after a wave of Russians tried to invade their country, and another for coffee. They actually used them in their dug outs and they must work, it was 30 below 0 at times during the winter war. Excellent post, thank you.

Back
Top Bottom