• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Can you still buy the SKS rifle in MA?

not too long ago I was seeing Yugo's for 200. Now it seems the going rate is closer to 300-350. Hoffman's in Connecticut usually has decent prices, might be worth a call.

Made where; would you say are the better ones?

Thanks for all the replies!

Milsurps4Me is the resident SKS expert. No kidding he has a huge collection. He has so much knowledge that sometimes I think he can tell you not only who machined a particular part on a specific gun, but the guy's kids names as well. [smile]

Seriously, if he tells you something about an SKS, take it to the bank.

Milsurps4Me is the resident SKS expert. No kidding he has a huge collection. He has so much knowledge that sometimes I think he can tell you not only who machined a particular part on a specific gun, but the guy's kids names as well. [smile]

OK, I will take your word on that then. [wink]

Great, cause I do want something reliable, but maybe all are good I am not sure. All I know is in the case of say the AK47 brands, some makers are not as good as others; so I am just curious if the same situation hold true for the SKS rifle??

I will 2nd that.

The best deal today on an SKS rifle is an all matching numbers Chinese made SKS.

By all matching I mean bolt carrier, receiver cover, receiver, trigger guard, and stock. This often means the rifle hasn't been tinkered with.

So many backwoods bubbas that can't afford an AK47 or AR15 type will often buy an SKS and modify to "assault rifle" configuration simply because they see an add for a plastic POS duckbill magazine and bolt on scope set up. End result is often a cobbled together tacti-cool rifle that sucks and is no where near the ideal weapon the designer Sergei Gavrilovich Simonov intended it to be.

Next to the AK47, the SKS is the most used rifle still to this day all over the world.

As far as quality, Russian models were always considered top notch and still fetch a premium regarding value because they were only made from 1949 - 1956 with the Tula arsenal being the majority and the Izhevsk arsenal only producing the rifle for 2 years. The Chinese began production in the mid 50s and continued for many years after with no real production records kept so no one really knows the extent of their production. Then there are Romanian models which are well made rifles, Albanian which are often poorly made but have a limited production rate and odd design that makes them collectable. East German and Korean are the holy grails of any SKS collection and since they were never legally imported here in the US, people will pay around $1500 for one easily.

Then you have the Yugos. Yugoslavia made one of the worst cars in the history of auto manufacturing but also made some of the best military guns including the model 59/66 SKS rifle. Its design featured a grenade launcher and gas shut off valve for using it.
At one time Yugo SKS rifles were $129 in new condition, now they get around $300 to $400 for all matching and brand new because of fear that folks won't be able to buy them as a result of a new AWB.
These rifles were made well into the mid to late 80s though so when you buy a new advertised Yugo SKS, you could very well be buying a "new" rifle!
The problem with Yugoslavian SKS rifles is that the soldiers used corrosive ammo which often resulted in corroded gas tubes and valves and eventually led to a bunch of Yugo SKS buyers getting rifles that wouldn't cycle because of gas pressure loss.

Bottom line is if you really want an SKS for a shooter and you're new to the rifle's design and function, buy an all matching common code Chinese and don't pay more than $300 for one because anything priced higher is a rip off unless its a rare variant!
These are available at gun shows and shops all over for $250 to $300 all the time.

One site that will help with ID'ing Chinese codes and various models is Yooper John's site: http://www.yooperj.com

Yes Milsurp4me is by FAR the expert on SKS rifles. We are both on the hunt for an East German[wink]

I do know where there is a Romanian for sale. I do not think it is matching however. Also I just picked up a Yugoslavian model 59 for under $300 and it was all matching. I think the dealer still has a few.There out there.....just not as many as before[sad]

I love my Yugo. Had a few problems at the very beginning, only to find out that I just wasn't putting enough lube on it. Haven't had a hitch since.

When I was last at Manchester Firing Line, they had a few crates full of SKS rifles. It might be worth the drive if you can't find anything here in Mass to suit your tastes. IIRC, they were all matching Yugos.

Last edited:
Thanks for the great info! [cheers]

Go green and become an NES member. Then find the thread in the member's section for the Mansfield club's NES members shoot being held at the end of November. Sign up and show up. I'll have a handful of my SKS collection on display.[wink]

Back
Top Bottom