Can you recommend a good book on Colts?

depicts

Army Veteran
NES Member
I'm looking for a book that is something like the Standard Catalog of Smith and Wesson, but for Colts.

Something that will give me a reference on date of manufacture, markings, variations, etc.

Does such a book exist?

I really don't care much about pricing, it's usually outdated by the time the book is printed.

I'd appreciate any info any of you can give me.

I bought my first Colt revolver today, and had no clue what I was doing?

Thanks

Bill

Does such a book exist?

To the best of my (admittedly limited) knowledge there is no single book for Colts that matches the Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson. I have seen a history of Colt but it was more of the company than the products. R. L. Wilson published a roughly passport-sized book ("Colt's Dates of Manufacture") that lists all of the serial numbers by model which could give you a good idea of the age of the gun, but that's about it. I think that you would have to have several books to do what the SCSW does so well.

Frosty,

doing a little research (I clicked on amazon.com) and did a search for Colt Firearms.

There is a listing of a soon to be released (Dec 5) book titled "Standard Catalog of Colt Firearms.

It will be 29.95 on Amazon, but if you order it before Dec 5th they sell it for 19.99. I think it's just what I'm looking for, check it out.

Standard Catalog of Colt Firearms (Book)
Sold by: Amazon.com

I checked it out and you may be on to something. We'll have to review it when it is released for sale.

PS: You now have at least one reputation point - [smile]

Bill, I wish I'd known you needed Colt info. I was just given "A History of the Colt Revolver and the Other Arms Made By Colt's Patent Fire Arms Manufacturing Company from 1836 to 1940."
Hardcover. The story of the invention and development of the Colt revolver. A. highly absorbing history as well as a complete record of the types and models of Colt firearms from 1836 to 1940. 163 halftone illustrations with pertaining data of C olt arms. 711 pages. Attractive, contemporary sportsman style bookplate on front past-down endpaper.

Give me a call tonight or call my cell any time today and I'm sure we could arange a loan.

Last edited:
Thanks Pete, maybe I can find that at one of the on-line used book vendors.

Thanks for the info, but you know how I hate to borrow things.

Bill

Back
Top Bottom