• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Can you pick up bolt action rifle at USPS

CAESAR

NES Member
I am C&R and the seller from other state is too. He shipped old bolt action via usps priority and declared there that he is shipping a rifle (what a moron). The rifle is at USPS here in MA. Can I pick it up at USPS? Wouldnt it violate the law where you cannot have a gun on usps property?

I’ve done it with revolvers, but I don’t think my sellers were as dumb as yours; I don’t believe they were declared.

Don’t open the box in the USPO. Until you do, you aren’t carrying a gun; you’re carrying a package. But they don’t know when you’re going to show up and pickup the package. So how would they know to have the cops there to jam you up during the 45 seconds the package will be in your possession as you walk out the lobby and then drive away?

Have done this more than once, although it was never declared. Dont they specifically tell you not to declare its a firearm or have anything indicating its a firearm? Surprised usps even allowed it.

as far as i understand he didnt put it on the box. he just declared to usps.... also, cops dont have to be there. There are cameras which prove i took it

Dont know what to say other than its legal to ship via usps, youre legal to possess in MA, they know that a good amount of firearms are picked up at po's due to a signature being needed (mostly?), and I dont recall ever hearing of anyone being jammed up for it. I searched for a thread where I asked the same question not too long ago but wasnt able to find it. Consensus was it would not be a problem and it wasnt.

as far as i understand he didnt put it on the box. he just declared to usps.... also, cops dont have to be there. There are cameras which prove i took it

You took what? A sealed box addressed to you? With contents you’re fully licensed to have?

Please. Go pick your rifle up and enjoy it. Just don’t unwrap it in the USPO.

Heck, if you want to get silly about it, every postal worker who’s handled this package since its contents were declared is as guilty as you would be.

You took what? A sealed box addressed to you? With contents you’re fully licensed to have?

Please. Go pick your rifle up and enjoy it. Just don’t unwrap it in the USPO.

Heck, if you want to get silly about it, every postal worker who’s handled this package since its contents were declared is as guilty as you would be.
Shit, you are right lol. Thanks guys

its legal for long guns to transit usps for chrissakes. a rifle in a box is not like carrying a handgun.

Next time tell the seller to ship C&R’s directly to your house....or your office if you don’t want your better 1/2 getting upset that you bought another gun!
Not OP, but Ive had to pick up multiple C&R toys at the usps simply because a signature was required for delivery and I was at work.

I've had to pick up handguns at USPS. The ladies at the counter always ask what kind of gun it is.. no big deal.

There is so much bullshit in this thread that it is ridiculous. Thankfully there are a few that have a clue about the laws.

MGL 140-129C(d) exempts common carriers.

Also being Federal workers, MGL does NOT apply to them in the performance of their jobs, period!! Not 100% but don't think USPO workers are considered "common carriers".

Well it is perfectly legal to ship a long gun via USPS. Go get your gun sign for it and don't open it on USPS property.

It is REQUIRED to be declared a firearm. See form 1508 of USPS.

It is a felony for anyone to ship a handgun to a C&R declared or not unless the C&R is also a dealer/manufacturer of such and it is DECLARED. It happens all the time but there will be hell to pay if the box every opens in transit and someone who give a sh--t is present.

By the way about half and hour on the USPS website will reveal all this and much more. Like yes a stripped handgun frame is considered a firearm.

People violate this stuff routinely and some of them have been doing it in large numbers but they just haven't been caught.

It is like driving 98 mph up Rt24 to Boston for work........

All the above is correct. He's a former student of my Mass Gun Law Seminar who actually paid attention to the material.

BTW, legally local/state police have no legal authority in a USPO enforcing Federal laws, period!

I got an antique receivered M39 through the USPS once. No problem at all, but this is rural NH. The clerk at the time was a gun guy and he was excited for me when I told him what I got.

Along the same lines, the USPS code specifically states that Postmasters do not have the authority to over rule these regulations. So when someone at the PO says it is okay you can still go to jail. I have already come across Postal employees who will tell you no problem they don't care.

Well they don't care. It is you who will pay the price if caught. Several very high profile C&R websites routinely USPS handguns illegally and have told me they have been doing so for years with the blessing of the local Postmaster. I know of LGS who recommend customers mail their handguns. Ignorance is bliss till you are doing laundry for some thug in the slammer.

Len's course should be required for everyone. If you want to avoid jail in this state over firearms, don't believe what the guys at the range preach, don 't believe what the LGS teach, and don't listen to the vast majority of attorneys as there are very few attorneys in Massachusetts who practice in this area enough to understand the bowl of noodles approach to guns laws we have. Fortunately many of the expert attorneys are mentioned here in NES frequently.

Take Len's course. It doesn't only cover the law but will give you clear perspective of its origins and application. The big takeaway is in Massachusetts what law enforcement and prosecutors want will be delivered by the courts most of the time if they have to invent law or ignore it to cover.

My variance in this is I'm an 07FFL... We as manufacturer/dealer are allowed to ship handguns using USPS.

I shipped a handgun once to an FFL01 who was also a gunsmith (to have smithing done)... He told me to never ship USPS, as they were not common carriers. He told me to next day or two-day it UPS or FEDEX only with a signature.
I have worked for both the PO and UPS, and I can tell you I have little trust in the PO getting my stuff anywhere, on time, undamaged.
When I mail something important that has to go first class, I always make sure I have a copy of what I am sending and I pay the extra 3 bucks to have it certified so I can track it and have proof that I mailed it.
UPS is marginally better, and at least their tracking works.

There is so much bullshit in this thread that it is ridiculous. Thankfully there are a few that have a clue about the laws.

Also being Federal workers, MGL does NOT apply to them in the performance of their jobs, period!! Not 100% but don't think USPO workers are considered "common carriers".

USPS is a common carrier as well as UPS, Fedex, etc. These companies and their employees are ALL exempt under federal law for touching boxes containing
firearms, that kind of thing, given a bunch of constraints obviously. This was done a long time ago to prevent state level lunacy from occurring... otherwise nobody
would be able to ship or move anything.

-Mike

All the above is correct. He's a former student of my Mass Gun Law Seminar who actually paid attention to the material.

BTW, legally local/state police have no legal authority in a USPO enforcing Federal laws, period!
this ^

When I worked for the national guard full time as the installation transportation officer I shipped and received rifles (big f***ing rifles.....like ar10 and 50 cal barrets) via usps all the time. Barret exclusively used usps for shipping repaired rifles with usps back to the maintenance facilities. In fact.....when shipping 1-5 rifles the transportation regulation states usps......take down to field stripped level.....box it....ship it......signature required is all you need. Crew served weapons were a different story.....always had to go bonded carrier sat track. Every weapon system in the army has a "CIIC" code that is referenced to tell the trans guys the "services" needed to ship it securely. small arms and handguns were always USPS for 5 and under in one shipment.

if shipment was 6 or more rifles it needed to go bonded carrier.....sat tracked. had a few come to Jesus meetings with BN and BD supply NCO's when I told them to take their rifle to the post office to ship out........they insisted they needed to go bonded and sat tracked until I quoted the USTRANSCOM regulation to them. Had a few argue that they didn't care and wanted it sat tracked.........sorry sarge........its my budget and I'm not spending $2,000 to ship one rifle......take it to the f***ing post office and charge it with your government card.......if you don't like my answer have your colonel call my colonel mmmkay?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom