can we revisit ptsd again, please

greencobra

NES Member
i have a friend from class, an army vet with a tour in afghanistan. we have become friendly and we talk guns. she lives in a not too understanding gun town and was denied her ltc because she related on her application she was being treated for ptsd. i certainly don't know about such things, but i remember another post not too long ago where someone with ptsd had their ltc revoked because of it. of course me being stupid, first question out of my mouth was why did you tell. so now she wants to move to new hampshire for obvious reasons. my question is, and i think i know the answer, is this mental health issue a massachusetts thing or federal? will she be faced with the same problems up there? any options for her?

It'a "a thing" wherever the state is allowed to deny an applicant without needing to provide a reason. In NH you don't even need a license to buy, own, shoot, and open carry a firearm--only conceal carry requires a license.

Did she actually apply and get denied--or did they tell her she would be denied and then she decided not to apply? There's a huge difference because the "a cop told me" advise is often a misinterpretation of a misinterpretation.

Best thing for her to do is contact GOAL.ORG. or COMM2A.ORG

Under HIPPA that is NOT disclosed to the State or the Feds. She is also under no obligation to disclose that on any application be it for a firearms permit or job application. I wish she had inquired here before applying. There is no reason that this should have happened. Now the genie can't be put back in the bottle.

ETA: My blood pressure is through the roof right now. This shit pisses me off! Our .gov takes our young kids and throws them into a meat grinder over and over and when they finally get home and try to get their feet back on the ground those son of a bitches treat them like ****ing criminals. How dare them deny her right to own and carry a firearm. AAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGG!

Last edited:
Under HIPPA that is NOT disclosed to the State or the Feds. She is also under no obligation to disclose that on any application be it for a firearms permit or job application. I wish she had inquired here before applying. There is no reason that this should have happened.

This, 100%

How is your friend handling her PTSD? Just flashbacks and isolation? or anger and irritability. Is she easy to set off? road rage? no patience? never sleeps? It can take awhile to rejoin society. Best treatment is with a group of fellow vets who have been there. Shrinks are pill pushers and pills won't fix PTSD. I don't think anything does.

Medical info is confidential, protected by HIPAA regs, and does NOT have to be disclosed to anyone. LTC app only asks if you have been committed to a hospital for mental illness. Mental illness as defined by DMH: "mental illness is defined as a substantialdisorder of thought, mood, perception, orientation, or memory which grossly impairs judgment,behavior, capacity to recognize reality or ability to meet the ordinary demands of life, but shallnot include alcoholism or substance abuse"

Therefore being hospitalized as a result of a psychotic disorder such as schizophrenia would require an answer of yes but being hospitalized due to an anxiety disorder such as PTSD might require an answer of no to the LTC question.

Now that the pooch has been screwed she has to deal with the question has any license been denied and I can't help with that one beyond what was previously posted.

Who could go through that and NOT have trouble with it? I'd be more worried about the ones that come back and appear completely unaffected.

I hope your friend overcomes her issues and on the basis of the little posted here, she'll be happier in NH.

yes, this is my understanding after we discussed it.

eta...i guess it doesn't matter if i relate the city....lowell

you might want to double check with her because a lot of police dept's in Mass will try to talk you out of applying--"we won't issue it"--and people recount that as being "denied." If she was really denied after applying then that haunts you every time you apply for a permit somewhere, since they usually ask if you were denied previously.

my advice, which sounds too late for your friend, is listen to the PD blowhards politely but say NOTHING. Anything you say, can and WILL be used against you!

There is an appeals process though for those that get rejected. Again, contact goal, comm2A and/or a lawyer before proceeding with an appeal.

not surprised it's Lowell.

PTSD, like all disorders, has many forms and degrees of severity. I'm sure many police officers have suffered from it and still carry guns regularly. It's a condition that's not an automatic disqualifier by any known standard.

deleted post cause i didn't feel comfortable with it.

if someone from comm2a reads this thread I'd like to know if anything can be done. is she fried as far as getting a ltc in massachusetts now? is there anyone there she can contact? that is if i can get her to even call.

Last edited:
Be careful not to overstate the privacy protections of HIPAA, the most misunderstood law of all time. There are exceptions for law enforcement activities and many other things.

That said, im not one to deny someone the right to carry.. just hypothetically asking if you think she would be any risk at all to her self or others? Again none of my business, all about using your rights, but maybe if there is any doubt she should get treated first..not saying she shouldnt carry, just life is precious dont take my post as anti in anyway. I've had severe depression in the past is all I'm saying. That said if she sees a therapist or phsych monthly and has a letter written stating shes not a threat to her self or anyone something along those lines, I dont see ot a problem. I know the letter is enough to become a police officer if need be

That said, im not one to deny someone the right to carry.. just hypothetically asking if you think she would be any risk at all to her self or others? Again none of my business, all about using your rights, but maybe if there is any doubt she should get treated first..not saying she shouldnt carry, just life is precious dont take my post as anti in anyway. I've had severe depression in the past is all I'm saying. That said if she sees a therapist or phsych monthly and has a letter written stating shes not a threat to her self or anyone something along those lines, I dont see ot a problem. I know the letter is enough to become a police officer if need be

Why should she have to prove that she is fit to exercise her 2A rights? Does she have to also prove she is fit to exercise her 1A rights? And what does the .gov have to do with any of this to begin with? These rights aren't granted by the .gov. These are God given rights. NO ONE can take them away from her. No .gov has the authority. Stop buying into the .gov narrative that you need their permission. You don't. We don't need no stinkeen permission.

It's possible to get your LTC back after a documented suicided attempt a bit of PTSD should be a none issue. Unless it's serious and the shrink doesn't want to sign off...

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section131

(iii) is or has been (A) committed to a hospital or institution for mental illness, alcohol or substance abuse, except a commitment pursuant to sections 35 or 36C of chapter 123, unless after 5 years from the date of the confinement, the applicant submits with the application an affidavit of a licensed physician or clinical psychologist attesting that such physician or psychologist is familiar with the applicant's mental illness, alcohol or substance abuse and that in the physician's or psychologist's opinion, the applicant is not disabled by a mental illness, alcohol or substance abuse in a manner that shall prevent the applicant from possessing a firearm, rifle or shotgun; (B)

i have a friend from class, an army vet with a tour in afghanistan. we have become friendly and we talk guns. she lives in a not too understanding gun town and was denied her ltc because she related on her application she was being treated for ptsd. i certainly don't know about such things, but i remember another post not too long ago where someone with ptsd had their ltc revoked because of it. of course me being stupid, first question out of my mouth was why did you tell. so now she wants to move to new hampshire for obvious reasons. my question is, and i think i know the answer, is this mental health issue a massachusetts thing or federal? will she be faced with the same problems up there? any options for her?

Based upon your post, your friends not statutorily prohibited under federal or state law. We (Comm2A) would like to speak to her. Can you have her contact us directly: http://www.comm2a.org/contact-us/problem

Be careful not to overstate the privacy protections of HIPAA, the most misunderstood law of all time. There are exceptions for law enforcement activities and many other things.

You're correct but the threshold for notification is that the person is a threat to themselves or society or their is a direct inquiry by the authorities in respect to the person committing a felony. None of those apply in this case, to my knowledge. I highly doubt that the person has given WRITTEN permission that her medical records could be released to just anyone.

Based upon your post, your friends not statutorily prohibited under federal or state law. We (Comm2A) would like to speak to her. Can you have her contact us directly: http://www.comm2a.org/contact-us/problem

Thanks very much! I'll be seeing her tomorrow, monday, and i'll tell her. I am not going to push the issue to make contact, though, that of course will be her decision. again, my thanks, sounds like all is not lost here.

Back
Top Bottom