Can Pre-Ban mags fit in Gen4 Glocks?

Yes they will fit unless you switched the mag release to the right side of the gun for left handed use.

Regarding U notch: You may wish to update the follower to "9mm3" if you have feeding problems.

Square not FML Drop free (the expensive ones) will work fine.

Thanks for your thoughts! Had a buddy say that he bought a pre-ban mag through NES classifieds and it would not fit in his Gen4 when he got home....

Thanks for your thoughts! Had a buddy say that he bought a pre-ban mag through NES classifieds and it would not fit in his Gen4 when he got home....

Did he switch the mag release?

Was it a U notch?

Gen 4 with 4 prebans here. Two of them are really tight in the magwell and I really have to slap them in, other two fit in perfectly fine. All U-Notch. Very strange.

Gen 4 with 4 prebans here. Two of them are really tight in the magwell and I really have to slap them in, other two fit in perfectly fine. All U-Notch. Very strange.

The U-notch mags tend to swell/bulge because they are not metal lined. Some swell more than others, which leads to some difficulty with inserting or dropping free when the mag release is pressed.

The U-notch mags tend to swell/bulge because they are not metal lined. Some swell more than others, which leads to some difficulty with inserting or dropping free when the mag release is pressed.

Glock u-notch magazines were intentionally designed to swell so that they would not drop free when the mag release is pressed. I've had u-notch mags work on a Gen3 G19, but not on a Gen4 G19 until I changed the follower as noted by Reptile in post #2.

Actually the "U" notch mags are partially metal lined for the reason Glockster30 said. It was a military design thing. Don't wnt full mag to easily drop out but DO want empty or almost empty ones to drop.

BTW ArmorAll works great on Glock mags. [wink] Makes them slippery as hell.

Yes they will fit unless you switched the mag release to the right side of the gun for left handed use.

Regarding U notch: You may wish to update the follower to "9mm3" if you have feeding problems.

Square not FML Drop free (the expensive ones) will work fine.

IMO, even square notch should be updated to 9mm3. I had feeding issues with a few square notch with 9mm1 followers. Went away with 9mm3. Also, replace the springs. Passing the test (2+ coils sticking out) is not good enough with springs of unknown age. I had a few that passed and were compressed to crap just a few weeks later.

Much thanks above. I can find the 9mm3 followers but could use some advice on the springs. On Glockmeister.com I see "standard power" and "extra power" versions, then I only see a listing for a 10-round spring, is there a difference between a 10-round and 15-round spring? Thanks again...

They will but some of the shit/trash mags like U notches and so on may or may not work properly without a follower upgrade.

-Mike

Much thanks above. I can find the 9mm3 followers but could use some advice on the springs. On Glockmeister.com I see "standard power" and "extra power" versions, then I only see a listing for a 10-round spring, is there a difference between a 10-round and 15-round spring? Thanks again...

Yes, there is a difference between the various springs. Follow the below rules for 9mm mags and you should be okay:

15 round (G19 mags): Spring #2429
17 round (G17 mag or G19 with +2 extension): Spring #448
19 round (G17 mag with +2 extension): Spring #2551

For 10-rounders, the numbers are different. Note: Don't confuse the number of rounds in the mag with the number of coils the spring has. The coil counts for the above springs are 9, 10, and 11 respectively. The 10-coil spring is not the 10-rnd spring, and the 17-coil spring is definitely not going to fit a 17-rnd mag :p The armorer's part list, and common recommendations, also have one pick springs based on whether or not they are running a light on the rail, but I'm 99% sure that this advice is aimed at .40 S&W Glocks.

A 10-round spring is for a 10-round magazine. A 15-round spring is for a 15-round magazine.

They will but some of the shit/trash mags like U notches and so on may or may not work properly without a follower upgrade.

-Mike
Is it advisable to upgrade the followers on the "u" notch even if your running a gen1? Will it cause a problem in a gen 1 is the better question?

Is it advisable to upgrade the followers on the "u" notch even if your running a gen1? Will it cause a problem in a gen 1 is the better question?

If you have a Gen1 gun, probably won't hurt anything but probably isn't necessary, either.

-Mike

I just picked up a gen4 26 today have to go and try the u notchs in the gen4. my 19 is a gen 3. The only issues I have had were with some of the junk glock followers like mention previously. My issue is the slide wont lock back on the last round. But that is only on some of my 10 round mags. pre bans have been flawless

Had no issues with 9mm3 and the compact springs in about 20 or so from GlockParts in my preban unotches. Only issue is swelling.

With my g19 gen 4, a fully charged u notch mag is right in the mag well and will not drop free. Drops free when empty or nearly empty.

Sent from the dark side.

Back
Top Bottom