Can my pregnant wife to the range?

msdamato

NES Member
My wife is currently 8 weeks pregnant and really bummed out that I told her she could not come to the range for nine months. My immediate thought was the lead exposure but from my google search I gather that the noise is also a concern. I could not find any difinative answer on the topic, probably because testing on expecting mothers would be frowned upon.
Anyone have any experience on the subject?

Some research in this area has used intra-womb sound transducers in sheep - and the results were not encouraging for those looking for confirmation it's OK to bring a pregnant woman shooting. I'll ask the acoustic expert who mentioned this to me if he can give a reference to the specific paper.

Could just be me, but I would not chance it. If she is really bummed out you should make the sacrifice as well and do other things with her until your child is born. You made the decision to have a child, now is the time to make the sacrifice (get used to it).

Just my opinion, and congrats.

My wife is currently 8 weeks pregnant and really bummed out that I told her she could not come to the range for nine months. My immediate thought was the lead exposure but from my google search I gather that the noise is also a concern. I could not find any difinative answer on the topic, probably because testing on expecting mothers would be frowned upon.

I think a Doctor would recommend against it. I wouldn't risk anything this far along.

No experiance, but it's not worth the risk anyway.

Time to break out the air rifle and set up a target shoot in the back yard.

For you, get a special set of closes (shoes, shirt and pants) for the range. Take off your shoes before you come in the door, then change as soon as possible and wash the clothes immediately. Lead dust from your clothes and shoes will get on the floor, and the baby will crawl on the floor and put their hands in their mouth.

Kids are too valuable to take chances with, and at that age, a tiny amount of lead is a huge concentration in their blood.

06LemansC6, your killing me! I better not let my wife read this. And I agree, I won't chance it, but she's pushy "I don't think you should go" is not a good enough aswer for her. And I haven't been since we found out five weeks ago. It's KILLING me!

If lead is a concern, maybe just go to the outdoor range. If the noise is a concern, maybe she should have a couple stiff drinks prior to shooting to calm the little guy/gal down...[wink]

I wouldn't ask a doctor. Most are not shooters and don't have any idea how loud a firearm can be. You probably don't have a suppressor but I've read that there are OSHA approved suppressors. You could contact them and ask how they arrived at those standards.

I wouldn't risk it. There will be plenty of times for her to go in the future. A few minutes/hours at the range, can cause damage of a life time. But I'm not doctor.

IMHO, absolutely NOT!! Especially if their ears are developed. The intensity of the sound can damage the ears of a newborn. I would also say that if the range was indoors that had poor ventilation could lead to her breathing in lead.

Try sending a PM to either Mrs Magnum or SiameseRat. Both ladies were pregnant within the last few years and both of them refrained from going to the range, much as it bothered them to do so, for the reasons mentioned above - noise and exposure to lead. Here's another one for you - she may have to refrain from going to the range for as long as she's breastfeeding your young one - you don't want the munchkin to get exposed to lead through his/her mother's breast milk!

06LemansC6, your killing me! I better not let my wife read this. And I agree, I won't chance it, but she's pushy "I don't think you should go" is not a good enough aswer for her. And I haven't been since we found out five weeks ago. It's KILLING me!

Point out to her that shooting skills are perishable, and if you're to keep her safe, you must continue to practice.

Seriously, be darned careful to make sure that you're not bringing any lead dust, etc, home - kids are a blessing and you don't want to hurt yours inadvertently.

Oh, one other thing - MAZEL TOV! on becoming a parent!!

People don't play soothing music to their unborns because they want them to like classical music.

I'd be VERY concerned about the repercussions of noises loud enough to cause mom and dad to wear hearing protection. I wouldn't bring a pregnant woman to a steel foundry or similar locale for the same reasons. Who knows what the hearing and phisiological reactions to extreme noise might be? It's not a risk I'd take.

Lead exposure would be lower on my list of concerns.

My mother had 11 brothers and sisters and each family had at least 2 children. The women all smoke and drank while they were pregnant and all the children turned out fine. I doubt going to the range will make any difference unless your wife likes to pick up and eat lead!

Why take the chance? You and your wife have a responsibility to do everything possible for a healthy child. This includes everything from a good diet, plenty of rest, keeping stress low, avoiding cigarettes and alcohol and so on. Do the right thing.

Chris

Why go and chance it? The range will still be there when things get to be the "new normal". To ignore potential exposure to lead and extreme concussive effects is selfish.

Would you go to the range without hearing protection? Also, as stated above, you need to keep your skills sharp, especially now, when your wife's skills may dip a bit.

watch Mythbusters, the Ginger on the show was in the episode shooting with a basketball sized tumor on her abdomen. on top of that, they were doing a myth on curving bullets. so not only was she preggers, but she was pulling the trigger and not knowing exactly where her target was. YMMV

The lead exposure strikes me as a more likely danger. Somebody in a free state with a swimming pool try going underwater while a friend nearby lights some fireworks, and tell us how loud it is. I *thought* I read somewhere the womb insulates from loud noises more than it ampliphies...

Congrats on the new guy/gal on the way. Maybe a good time to learn archery? Quiet, no lead threat, and some good arm-toning exercise.

I have had 5 children and have been to the range with every pregnancy. I tried to stand back when the guys would shoot the louder weapons as I got towards the end of my pregnancies. I usually would wear thin gloves or have my husband load the firearms for me. So far all of my children are healthy. I tried to find out information from doctors and nurses and everyone says something different.I had a few doctors look at me like I had 10 heads when I asked how if I was shooting firearms does it hurt the baby. I don't know if that helps or not. I was fortunate enough that I was carrying the later parts in the winter so I had on heavier clothing.

I think most of the advice you're being given is good. It's relatively new/unknown turf as far as information goes, regarding long term effects, but we know that

1. lead exposure to a fetus or a baby is very toxic
2. a fetus in utero can hear, and can be startled by loud noises (stress)

AFAIK our police agencies generally frown upon female officers who have become pregnant, from practicing at the range. I believe some expressly prohibit it in their personnel policies. Its just common sense.

Back
Top Bottom