• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Can MA residents buy ammo out of state?

Hey guys, I did a search, both here and google, but got conflicting results. I am a MA resident on the NY/VT line, I travel to NY, CT, and NH about once a week for work, I need to know if I can buy ammo (.22 and 9mm only) out of state if I come across a good deal?

Thanks,
Mike

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk

As long as your duly licensed to own in home state for example ct is 18 for rifle ammo 21 pistol so you can buy there and return to Ma if thats where you live. Hope that makes sense.

I think the O.P. was moreso asking if he'll be given any trouble by the out of state store... my answer is that I've bought ammo in NH, VT and CT without them so much as asking for a driver's license.
(And in MA, for that matter, before I even moved back here.... but I'm sure MA is more strict now....that was in 2000.)

I live in NH, when I purchase at Walmart they ask to glance at my drivers license, I guess to show I am a resident. Otherwise I think if you produce a LTC from another state that would work.

When I purchase at NH gunshops they have only asked for the payment.

I was told that possession of ammo (even shells) was against the law in MA without an FID/LTC. I am not sure even empties are, but that's what I was told. I'd prefer to get it in NH - a nice small place with lots of toys is my preference rather than the big guys who get all the dough!

I go to Cabellas in CT and load up on ammo. Only thing they ask to see is a fist full of money.

This.

I went there a couple of weeks ago. Well-stocked shelves, for the most part. I picked up what I wanted, walked through the rest of the store, and to the cash register where I paid cash for my purchase. No ID, no recording of any numbers. It was almost surreal, how I was treated as an adult making a legal purchase.

I was headed up to Maine hunting and stopped in a NH Walmart for ammo and they wouldn't sell to me because I had just moved to MA from NH and changed my DL a couple days before but LTC wasn't in yet. They said it was law but admitted it was a policy after some debate. I told them I was not going back to MA with the ammo but it didn't matter.

I went there a couple of weeks ago. Well-stocked shelves, for the most part. I picked up what I wanted, walked through the rest of the store, and to the cash register where I paid cash for my purchase. No ID, no recording of any numbers. It was almost surreal, how I was treated as an adult making a legal purchase.

Haha, seriously great that. Did the Cabela's Black Friday thing for some crazy reason... nothing like 1k rounds of .223 at 6AM, no ID needed, cash and carry. It seemed so f'd up, trying to stop my self from pulling out my LTC and asking permission... I swear the full retard really does get so drilled into the brain here that it is easy to forget what freedom is like.... [hmmm]

Kittery Trading Post in ME never asked for anything except a credit card (which was what I was paying for the ammo with).

If the price is right, I buy ammo in CT and they usually ask for an ID.

I was down at Cabelas in Hartford and asked the rules about buying ammo, if your over 18 you can buy rifle and shot gun. If you are over 21 you could buy pistol ammo. She looked at me and said no question about your age and rang up all my ammo, didn't have to show any id.

I was told that possession of ammo (even shells) was against the law in MA without an FID/LTC. I am not sure even empties are, but that's what I was told. I'd prefer to get it in NH - a nice small place with lots of toys is my preference rather than the big guys who get all the dough!

Posession of ammunition in Mass. requires an FID or LTC; Ammo components are defined as ammunition, so, yes, technically, posession of an expended case without an FID or LTC is unlawful. Pepper spray is also "ammunition". We tell Scouts, and students in the LTC courses at our Club to check the soles of their shoes - some treads pick up .22 brass quite well, and were it to fall out at the wrong time, in the wrong place.....

As a follow up question, what shops in NH that are not too far from Chelmsford MA are a good choice for things like whole cases of 5.56, 7.62x39, and 9mm?

As a follow up question, what shops in NH that are not too far from Chelmsford MA are a good choice for things like whole cases of 5.56, 7.62x39, and 9mm?

Stateline in Plaistow is pretty good. They're on Route 125 North (exit 51B off 495, then go about eight minutes, then start paying attention. It's right next door to a big pet supply store).

Call ahead to see if they have what you want.

I need to find a good gun store in nh for cheap ammo I hate Wally World lol.
Can't wait acme to reopen they where wicked. Nice to me the one time I drove from Lowell to them for a bacon cook book.

A guy I work with has a out of state alp ltc class a and told me some shops wont sell to him.

What places online will ship mail order ammunition to MA? Would someone be so kind asto PM me who they use? I went to the GOAL website http://www.goal.org/masslawpages/ammoinfo.html and it currently says "12/4/12. At this time there is no law or regulation forbidding a duly licensed MA resident from receiving ammunition from an out of state entity" I assume they would just need your MA LTC info? (or not)

Back
Top Bottom