can i take a friend hunting if he does not have an fid?

Hi all,

I am trying to get a friend into hunting. as of now he does not have an fid or ltc. i will be taking him to basic hunting classes in sep. but he would not be able to get his fid/ltc before hunting season starts.

iirc he can shoot with me lending him my shotgun, correct? we have been doing this at a club shooting trap, but i dont know if its only allowed because its at club.

he will be getting his hunting lic. after the classes so that will be covered. would he be able to borrow my shotgun and hunt with me?

I am leaning to the answer being yes because i know parents take their kids hunting, however i want to be sure.

i need to step out for awhile and will do some searches and research when i get back if needed. just thought this would be quicker for me at this time with things going on around here.

thanks for your help

Last edited:
Whenever I have bought a MA hunting license, they wrote down my LTC information on the hunting license. I'd be surprised if you can get a resident hunting license without an LTC or FID.

He can go with you as long as he is not engaging in the act of hunting like calling, holding the gun, driving deer. If he is under 15 years old he can hunt with you, but you can only have one weapon between the two of you.

No, he can't use your gun unless you are hunting out of this assassin state.

He can however go hunt in a FREE state like NH, VT, or ME as long as he has his hunter safety cert. They all require that or a old, any state hunting lic. and if you have that in hand it means you took a hunter safety course.

I had to do this my first year here because the GD police dept in my OLD town decided that the 90 days for a FID issuance was not good enough and wanted to let it SIT of the LT's desk for at LEAST that long. (Tewksbury)

Anyways, I went to VT that year, had a great time, and they love taking your money up there and treat you like a hunter, still a flat-lander, but a hunter none the less.

thanks for the replies, looks like i was wrong. glad i asked.

he is in his 30's

the reason for his not being able to get an fid before the season is because he wants to get his class cert before applying and the class won't be over till mid/late Sep. by the time he gets the cert and actually gets the fid we will be into the season.

that's OK, I'm sure he will have it sometime during the season and we can go then. i had just wanted to bring him on opening day. NBD thanks everyone

Whenever I have bought a MA hunting license, they wrote down my LTC information on the hunting license. I'd be surprised if you can get a resident hunting license without an LTC or FID.
You dont need a gun to hunt so an FID or LTC is not required to get a hunting license.

He can go hunting with you he just can't touch a gun. Every time i have been asked for a license they ask for my LTC / FID.
That is because you are carrying a gun.

I always thought if you only brought one gun between the two of you and you carry it in and out and he is under your direct supervision (like at the range) that would be legal. I would check with the Enviromental police to be sure.

I was practising my crossbow today with this same friend and that very thing dawned on us, its not a firearm. So just a little while ago i looked it up in the abstracts and found this "No Firearms Identification (FID) card needed if 2 - 4 years of age, or for bow hunting." so while he might not be able to go during shotgun season (unless he gets the fid by then) he can go bow hunting with me. yes he is also eligible for crossbow usage.

arlow if he doesn't get his fid by shotgun season we will contact the ep. thanks

that's true except i believe he can't get the powder or the cap (?) without an fid.

then there's the fact neither of us has a muzzle loader. [sad2]

so it will have to be the crossbow until he gets his fid/ltc

I am not positive but I am pretty sure that you can't hunt with a crossbow in Ma. unless you are handicapped. A regular bow is okay as long as he has his hunting license.

I am not positive but I am pretty sure that you can't hunt with a crossbow in Ma. unless you are handicapped. A regular bow is okay as long as he has his hunting license.

you are correct. you need to be permanently handicapped/disabled and cannot use a compound bow for some reason. your doctor needs to fill out some paperwork as well describing your disability and why you can't use a reg. compound bow. I already have my crossbow permit as well as another friend of mine, and the person i have been talking about is getting his as well. we are all a mess [sad]

Last edited:
you are correct. you need to be permanently handicapped/disabled and cannot use a compound bow for some reason. your doctor needs to fill out some paperwork as well describing your disability and why you can't use a reg. compound bow. I already have my crossbow permit as well as another friend of mine, and the person i have been talking about is getting his as well. we are all a mess [sad]

I don't mean to be rude but what kind of disability prevents you from using a compound bow, but allows you to use a crossbow to hunt. The only thing I can think of is a shoulder injury or something along those lines.

Just to be clear this was not an insult, I am curios by nature and was wondering.

I don't mean to be rude but what kind of disability prevents you from using a compound bow, but allows you to use a crossbow to hunt. The only thing I can think of is a shoulder injury or something along those lines.

Just to be clear this was not an insult, I am curios by nature and was wondering.

I have a friend I work with that has a shoulder issue (blew it out) and cant draw a compound bow so she qualified.

i don't like to go into detail about my health issues. but i will tell you for me it has to do with drawing and holding the string waiting for the deer to get into the exact position needed to fire. with a crossbow, it is more like a gun with one in the chamber IE the string is locked in the ready position and all you need do is switch the safety and fire. I also have a cocking devise for the crossbow where i don't have to pull the string on that either.

If your friend is over the age of fifteen he needs a hunting license to hold, shoot, carry your gun, call deer. He is only allowed to come to the woods with you while you hunt.

A law was passed in 2006 that requires you to take hunter safty to get a license. If you are walking in the woods together he needs to be close to you, because they can say that he was driving deer. The only time a unlicensed hunter can hunt with you is if he is between the age of 12 and 15.

If your friend takes the online NH hunter education course, he would be able to get a license and would then be able to shoot the crossbow.

I was practising my crossbow today with this same friend and that very thing dawned on us, its not a firearm. So just a little while ago i looked it up in the abstracts and found this "No Firearms Identification (FID) card needed if 2 - 4 years of age, or for bow hunting." so while he might not be able to go during shotgun season (unless he gets the fid by then) he can go bow hunting with me. yes he is also eligible for crossbow usage.

arlow if he doesn't get his fid by shotgun season we will contact the ep. thanks

you have to be handicapped to use a crossbow!

If your friend is over the age of fifteen he needs a hunting license to hold, shoot, carry your gun, call deer. He is only allowed to come to the woods with you while you hunt.

A law was passed in 2006 that requires you to take hunter safty to get a license. If you are walking in the woods together he needs to be close to you, because they can say that he was driving deer. The only time a unlicensed hunter can hunt with you is if he is between the age of 12 and 15.

If your friend takes the online NH hunter education course, he would be able to get a license and would then be able to shoot the crossbow.

yep knew that about the class and he is already set for the sep. classes. thanks for the rest of the info.

FYI, for people with Xbow questions,

After 30+ years of bowhunting with recurve and compound, my father had to get the crossbow to continue to hunt successfully because of his shoulder injuries and wear. You need the permit and it's a simple form to fill out with a doctor's note. I believe you can download the permit off MassWildlife.

To get a crossbow permit for CT, he had to go to an interview with the DEP, but also said that was an easy and very positive process.

He's already taken 2 deer with the crossbow in CT last year, I've shot it and its a hoot.....

Anyone that hunts deer with one should be well versed in recovering deer with archery equipment, it's not a gun and shot placement and tracking can be somewhat different than hunting with firearms.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom