Can I pin my own stock

I have a telescoping stock on my AR15 and it has to be pinned. Can I do it myself?
Has anyone any advice on how to do it?
Thanks for any advice.
Bluenose

Yes you can. If this is a standard AR15 collapsible stock you are talking about, just drill a couple holes through the lever and stock and put a couple roll-pins through it. Now the lever can be compressed to adjust the stock.

Does anyone know if there is a definition of what level of perminance a stock pinning requires?

Are stocks that allow for adjustable length of pull concerned "collaspable" stocks?
If they require tools to adjust?
If they require a thumb screw adjustment?

I know this is moot on a bolt-action weapon, but a number of precision semi-automatic rifles also offer high-end stocks with adjustable length of pull and was wondering if those precision stocks are defined as "collaspable"

The pin must simply not be able to be removed with just your hands. It needs to be done in a way that requires the help of a tool to remove it. I just recently did it myself on a 6 position bushmaster collapsible stock [crying]

Edit: The way I did it was to drill a small hole through the adjustment lever and the stock. Then I stuck a small nail through the hole and using a pair of needle nose pliers I bent the nail so that it could not be pushed through. Then to clean up the pointy end, I snipped it off with the cutters on the pliers and used a file to smooth off the rough surface so it was almost flush with the stock.

Last edited:
I am SO very glad that I live in New Hampshire and can have adjustable length of pull stocks on my rifles without having to worry.

You can re-pin the stock yourself if you have the tools. I tried to do it and I gave up.

The problem is the holes for the pins did not go all the way through the stock, only far enough to tap a roll pin in the hole; a very small roll pin at that.

I took a larger drill bit and drill for literally 30 minutes and I could not get the pin to collapse so I could pull it out. The pins were so small I could not pinch them with something and pull them out. I only have a hand drill. With a bench drill it will take seconds, just get a slightly larger drill bit, drill right through the stock pin, set the new lenght, make new holes in the sliding tube the stock rides on then re-insert new pins. To make it extra pretty use a dab of black silicone to cover the holes.

be careful though, shorter stocks look cool but the lenght it comes at from the factory is the most comfortable. I will def be buying another factory stock that will be set to full lenght and over time I will decide where I want the stock to be set. For now I am going with the "cool" look.

The proper length for a collapsable stock is measured by grabbing the rifle by the pistol grip in your dominant hand. Hold your upper arm out in front of your body. While holding the rifle by the pistol grip, bring your forarm to a 90 degree angle. At this point the rifle should be parrallel in front of your body. The proper adjustment is when the stock will touch your bicep in this position.

Hay guys I pin stocks for $15.00 plus $3.50 in hardware. Why mess around $18.50 is cheap to have it done the right way. I have pinned stocks for a lot of you guys on NES. Just ask around.
Contact me at Remsport Mfg.
413 579 1994
Thank you
John

Hay guys I pin stocks for $15.00 plus $3.50 in hardware. Why mess around $18.50 is cheap to have it done the right way. I have pinned stocks for a lot of you guys on NES. Just ask around.
Contact me at Remsport Mfg.
413 579 1994
Thank you
John

John pinned my DPMS's stock, worked great.

I am SO very glad that I live in New Hampshire and can have adjustable length of pull stocks on my rifles without having to worry.

But are you really free if you can't travel south for an hour without fear of being jailed? Our problems are your problems, just a little less immediate.
(sorry for the thread drift)

Back
Top Bottom