Can I have a rifle shipped to an out of state FFL and have it modified made MA comp?

I'm sorry if this has been covered before, I've tried searching but it's not working out too well on mobile. I'm in MA and am looking to purchase a rifle online but it has a folding/telescoping stock, hi cap mag and flash hider. I spoke to a local shop here and they didn't seem too interested in doing the work because of the legality of them receiving in a non compliment rifle on the books and selling it to a resident. Would I legally be able to have it sent to a shop in NH that I would discuss this with ahead of time and have either them or an outside gunsmith pin the stock in place, install a compensator and either throw away or they can keep the magazine? Thanks.

Thank you, I spoke to a shop a few minutes ago and it sounds like they hear this a lot. I'll be calling them back Monday to talk with the gunsmith to get an idea on price.

I'm sorry if this has been covered before, I've tried searching but it's not working out too well on mobile. I'm in MA and am looking to purchase a rifle online but it has a folding/telescoping stock, hi cap mag and flash hider. I spoke to a local shop here and they didn't seem too interested in doing the work because of the legality of them receiving in a non compliment rifle on the books and selling it to a resident. Would I legally be able to have it sent to a shop in NH that I would discuss this with ahead of time and have either them or an outside gunsmith pin the stock in place, install a compensator and either throw away or they can keep the magazine? Thanks.

an FFL/gunsmith can accept a non-MA compliant rifle, "massify" it and then transfer it to MA resident. I've used 1776 in walpole for such work. they are excellent. other smiths can do similar stuff for you.

an FFL/gunsmith can accept a non-MA compliant rifle, "massify" it and then transfer it to MA resident. I've used 1776 in walpole for such work. they are excellent. other smiths can do similar stuff for you.

Northeast Arms in Peabody will do this also. Pullman Arms also.

Wasn't there another thread like this earlier today?

If a mass shop is telling you this... They are wrong. Mass ffl can recieve the gun and if they have onsite or offsite gunsmith they use, they will make it legal and charge you. As previous poster said -1776 gunsmithing in wAlpole will do everything and a great job at that

Right - no need to involve a second FFL in this. Find a better local shop in MA that will receive it and have it modified for you. Otherwise you are paying 2x shipping and 2x transfer fees because whatever shop you talked to is lazy.

I may be wrong on this but I believe in order to make the gun compliant the shop doing it must have an 07FFL (Manufacturers license). Again I could be wrong but that is what I was told when I inquired with a local shop about Massifying particular rifle. YMMV

I may be wrong on this but I believe in order to make the gun compliant the shop doing it must have an 07FFL (Manufacturers license). Again I could be wrong but that is what I was told when I inquired with a local shop about Massifying particular rifle. YMMV

That is creative. Wrong, but creative.

Back
Top Bottom