Can I buy and ship magazine from europe?

pavlin

NES Member
I'm looking to buy SVT-40 10 round mag from overseas. Was wondering if it's ok to ship it here in the US. Is there any specific law prohibiting shipping mag into the country? If not then I'll ask the seller to disassemble it and ship it as parts just in case. What you people think. Any advice appreciated. Thanks

the biggest obstacle are dumb customs agents who may not know the law. As far as law goes, I'm not sure. I believe that it may be a controlled item, but it really comes down to if customs want to rape you or not. They don't need a law if they do.

Keep in mind that a lot of Euro-demills have mags that have one of the top lips cut off so it may not hold rounds. Keep that in mind.

SVT mags can be found in US, so a lot of time the savings may not be worth the risk.

Yeah I'm looking for one but can't find one yet. I would say hi cap mags or drums will definitely bring trouble and will be seized by customs. But this is a 10 rounder...

In my communications with the president of Sphinx in Switzerland I learned that mags are considered "munitions" by many/most/all European gov'ts and it is illegal to export them to the US without special permits.

So my best guess is that whoever would ship it to you would possibly face prison time in their country. No idea what the US might do to the person (you) who imported it . . . claim no expertise in those laws.

I'm looking to buy SVT-40 10 round mag from overseas. Was wondering if it's ok to ship it here in the US. Is there any specific law prohibiting shipping mag into the country? If not then I'll ask the seller to disassemble it and ship it as parts just in case. What you people think. Any advice appreciated. Thanks

Legally, you cannot. It is shorter for me to give you a link than explain it. It requires an importer/exporter permit

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?c=ecfr;rgn=div5;view=text;node=27%3A3.0.1.2.2;idno=27;sid=f4e4c0fd4d94e9106565233ee81c773a;cc=ecfr#se27.3.447_121

In my communications with the president of Sphinx in Switzerland I learned that mags are considered "munitions" by many/most/all European gov'ts and it is illegal to export them to the US without special permits.

Not true at least for Germany and IIRC for any other EU country. Mags are not a controlled item over here,
available to anyone over the age of 18. They'd pulled me off the line for sure the last time I've travelled to
the PRM, having 22 pistol mags in checked baggage. Way different story within the PRM as an alien w/o an LTC....

now that you mentioned it there are two listings on GB for SVT mags: one from Germany and one from Bulgaria. I guess they are meant for US sale if they are posted there....

Not true at least for Germany and IIRC for any other EU country. Mags are not a controlled item over here,
available to anyone over the age of 18. They'd pulled me off the line for sure the last time I've travelled to
the PRM, having 22 pistol mags in checked baggage. Way different story within the PRM as an alien w/o an LTC....

Juergen,

Manuel Wipf, president of Sphinx Systems told me that the Swiss gov't tightly controls export of mags as "munitions". That is all that I know and have no reason to disbelieve him. I was asking him if I could pre-pay and purchase some mags for my Sphinx, have him bring them to a SHOT show that he was exhibiting in and hand them to a friend who was attending the show. He said "no can do" and later I found out that the gun used CZ75B mags that I ordered from either Brownells or Midway with no aggravation.

Export issues are usually very different than ownership/purchasing in that country.

Well again, honestly I don't care much about what European laws say regarding mag export. This burden is on seller. My main concern is if there will be any problems with US customs or BATF once it reaches American soil. Also what if they disassemble it and ship it as misc parts, go figure it's a mag. I don't know...
Juergen,

Manuel Wipf, president of Sphinx Systems told me that the Swiss gov't tightly controls export of mags as "munitions". That is all that I know and have no reason to disbelieve him. I was asking him if I could pre-pay and purchase some mags for my Sphinx, have him bring them to a SHOT show that he was exhibiting in and hand them to a friend who was attending the show. He said "no can do" and later I found out that the gun used CZ75B mags that I ordered from either Brownells or Midway with no aggravation.

Export issues are usually very different than ownership/purchasing in that country.

Len, I was referencing to
mags are considered "munitions" by many/most/all European gov'ts
I don't know about Switzerland, but they definitely aren't in Germany and any other EU country I know.
Maybe the Swiss tightened some regulations, as they did with SJ and HP bullets for handguns. Those are illegal
in Switzerland for some years now. Back in the day it was the other way around; HP's were illegal in Germany
and available like candy in Switzerland. Since 4/1/2003 HP's are legal here.

Where exactly it says that mags cannot be imported? Didn't find anything there unless I missed it. Can you please specify?
Also there's no referral of magazines as munition...

(a) Nonautomatic and semiautomatic firearms, to caliber .50 inclusive, combat shotguns, and shotguns with barrels less than 18 inches in length, and all components and parts for such firearms.

There have also been additions to this which, since I am really not interested, I will leave up to you to find but this was in the very first section.

Back
Top Bottom