California Ammunition Bill Signed into Law

Not sure if it's been raised, but I always wondered why I could walk into Bass Pro and pickup my own ammunition... in Massachusetts. [wink]

Only a matter of time here fellas. Only a matter of time.

What is "Handgun Ammunition"?

Is .44 Mag to be used in a Marlin Lever gun (rifle)?
Is .308 to be used in a T/C Encore (Pistol)?

Spoke to a guy who was heavily involved in the political / union scene in California for many, many years. He had been dealing with Governors since the late sixites, went to the white house to meet Reagan after he was elected etc. The one thing that struck me about what he said was that ALL of the governors that he spoke with all kept their promises, no matter what it was, to him. All that is, except Arnold...

Typical turncoat "Republican" turned liberal.. wanted to look tough getting into office and now just spends and babysits the "little people" so they wont hurt themselves.

Kalifornica

The 1st State to feel the crackdown.

[frown]

What do you expect though? [thinking][hmmm]
I read today that there is a compromise floating around DC to offer "opt-in" to states on the "public option" for health care...

This among many issues (such as guns post incorporation *fingers crossed) are creating the pretext for the next civil war and I am on the wrong side of the battle lines [sad2].

I read today that there is a compromise floating around DC to offer "opt-in" to states on the "public option" for health care...

This among many issues (such as guns post incorporation *fingers crossed) are creating the pretext for the next civil war and I am on the wrong side of the battle lines [sad2].

You're not on the wrong side...

It's doubtful that there'd be such clear lines as North/South or East/West anyway. A Civil War / Revolution Mk. II would probably be very, very ugly. [thinking]

Whit if I lost my right thumb in a tragic boating accident while trying to find the guns that were lost in another tragic boating accident?[thinking]

THIS WAS NO BOATING ACCIDENT!!!

Arnold turned out to be a complete ass.

Yup, he shoulda stuck to making all those shoot 'em up action movies...guns & ammo were his friend when he was making millions off the glorification of their use...[thinking]

California ammo buyers have lost the opportunity to competitively shop for out-of-state ammo purchases just like MA. Since all that record keeping is required, I'm confident that AIM and all those other ammo suppliers will just immediately cease doing business with California residents, period, end of discussion. Too bad for them. If this becomes a trend, the surplus/discount ammo business will be a thing of the past for more and more citizens.

Rome

I foresee many, many gunshops opening up on the CA/AZ border... and doing a great business.

I also foresee SemiAutoSam's gasoline bill going up. All them trips to AZ.
People will be buying by the case instead of the box. Why not combine an out-of-state road trip with a bulk ammo purchase? Especially if the border state has no sales tax or a sales tax less than CA.

Adding insult to injury, Schwarzenegger held a press conference with the Bradys in attendance to praise the legislation...

Governor Schwarzenegger Joins Brady Chapter Leaders To Celebrate Signing Of Ammo Bill

Oct 15, 2009

Los Angeles, CA – Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger joined California Campaign Brady Chapter leaders at a dispatch center of the Los Angeles Police Department this morning to celebrate the passage, and his signing, of AB 962 that will help law enforcement track down and apprehend armed criminals and other prohibited persons.

Officials of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence will now urge leaders in other states to consider adopting California’s innovative new law which will help law enforcement determine when dangerous people are in possession of illegal handgun ammunition and illegal guns. This bill was the California Brady Campaign Chapters' top priority in this year’s state legislative session.

AB 962, authored by Assembly Member Kevin DeLeon (D-Los Angeles), had the support of law enforcement officials from across the state and was modeled after successful city ordinances in Sacramento and Los Angeles. The law requires maintenance of purchaser records by handgun ammunition vendors. Local law enforcement can use these records to track down and disarm prohibited persons in possession of illegal ammunition and illegal guns.

“Once again, California has set an example for the rest of the country by adopting common sense measures to give law enforcement powerful tools to disarm felons and gang members in possession of illegal guns and bullets,” said Paul Helmke, President of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence. “Other states should note what California has done here, and consider similar measures.”

“We are grateful for Assembly Member DeLeon’s leadership on this issue, and grateful to Governor Schwarzenegger for signing this bill into law,” said Mary Leigh Blek, President Emeritus of the Million Mom March, lifetime Republican and a longtime leader in the California Brady Campaign Chapters. “Gun violence has no party affiliation and Governor Schwarzenegger understands this. Gun violence is everyone’s problem and this bill will go a long way in helping to prevent the needless loss of life.”

“On behalf of the many victims of gun violence in California and our California Brady Campaign Chapters throughout the state, we are grateful to Governor Schwarzenegger for signing this important legislation and standing with gun violence victims as he signs AB 962 into law,” said Kay Holmen, Past President of the California Brady Campaign Chapters.

Attending the press conference to celebrate the bill were Suzanne Verge, President, Los Angeles Brady Campaign Chapter; Jeff Peak, member, Los Angeles Brady Campaign Chapter; Mary Leigh Blek, Co-President, Orange County Brady Campaign Chapter and President Emeritus of the Million Mom March; Charlie Blek, Co-President, Orange County Brady Campaign Chapter (and husband of Mary Leigh); Kay Holmen, Past President, California Brady Campaign Chapters (member San Fernando Valley Brady Campaign Chapter); Donna Finkelstein, President of the San Fernando Valley Brady Campaign Chapter; Loren Lieb, Vice President, California Brady Campaign Chapters (member San Fernando Valley Brady Campaign Chapter); Josh Stepakoff, a shooting victim of the North Valley Jewish Community Center shooting 10 years ago, and San Fernando Valley Brady Campaign Chapter member; and Sarah Londer, San Fernando Valley Brady Campaign Chapter member.

A 2006 study by the Rand Corporation on Los Angeles’ city ordinance showed 10,050 rounds of ammunition were purchased by prohibited persons in a period of just two months. The study concluded “…monitoring ammunition transactions may help reduce the supply of ammunition to criminals and the frequency of injuries from felonious gun assaults. Such a record can also provide information for generating leads on illegal firearm possession.”

In Sacramento, from January 16, 2008 to August 31, 2009, 229 prohibited people, including gang members, purchased ammunition; 173 had previous felony convictions. From the matching of ammunition purchase records to the California prohibited persons file, the Sacramento DA was able to charge 181 of the purchasers with felonies. In addition, 160 illegal firearms were seized from the prohibited persons, as well as cash, drugs, and explosive devices.

http://www.bradycampaign.org/media/press/view/1186

Video link...

"Deadly ammunishuns" [rolleyes]

http://www.youtube.com/v/LVKUBR0rsCk

Yup, he shoulda stuck to making all those shoot 'em up action movies...guns & ammo were his friend when he was making millions off the glorification of their use...[thinking]

How sad, how true. It's OK to "play" with guns, just dont use them for defense. GD liberal scum. No wonder why CA is circling the bowl.

Just when you think that the anti-gunners have gone overboard, they do something like this. We've been screaming our lungs out that bad guys DON'T buy guns legally. So, the corollary is: why would they buy "legal" ammunition! Duh!!

And, if any of you Californians who have stashes of ammo weren't under enough pressure, imagine what targets you'll become when the badguys figure out where a lot of ammo is already stored! Think they'll knock politely on your door and ask to buy a box? My goodness. This is going to become a real mess. I can see the headlines now: " Californian Home Invasion Nets Thieves 5000 rounds of UNREGISTERED handgun Ammunition!"

Rome

Back
Top Bottom