• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

California Ammunition Bill Signed into Law

Twigg

NES Member
Full story.

SACRAMENTO, CA - Before the midnight deadline, Gov. Schwarzenegger acted on 685 bills that were on his desk. He signed 456 and vetoed 229.

One of the bills that he signed was Assembly Bill 962. It requires handgun ammunition to be kept behind the counter where customers cannot access it without assistance. It also requires gun shop owners to thumbprint people who buy handgun ammunition, as well as record their identification and provide that information to police.

He signed 456 bills ? Ahnold must be able to write his name very fast.

If only we could get Congress to work that fast.

Oh, wait... [thinking]

CA Enacts Ammo Reg. & Mail Order Ban

Today, Arnold Schwarzenegger signed a bill that requires California state-wide ammo registration and bans mail order ammo sales. They will permanently store complete purchaser data, including biometrics, on every ammo purchase made. They will then continually perform background checks for all ammo purchases. It also requires a state license to sell ammo.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=230665

http://leftcoastconservative.blogspot.com/2009/03/ab-962-internet-ammunition-sales-to-be.html

AB 962 - Internet Ammunition Sales to be Made Illegal?

Will purchases of ammunition over the Internet become illegal in this state? It certainly seems so if Assembly Bill 962 becomes law.

What this law proposes is, after July 1 2010, to make sales of handgun ammunition regulated. They would have to occur in a face-to-face transaction, and certain information would have to be collected by the vendor, and records maintained by the vendor.

Vendors would also have to obtain a license to sell handgun ammunition.

Information to be collected are

(3) Commencing July 1, 2010, a vendor shall not sell or otherwise
transfer ownership of any handgun ammunition without at the time of
delivery legibly recording the following information on a form that
is in a format to be prescribed by the department:
(A) The date of the sale or other transaction.
(B) The purchaser's or transferee's driver's license or other
identification number and the state in which it was issued.
(C) The brand, type, and amount of ammunition sold or otherwise
transferred.
(D) The purchaser's or transferee's signature.
(E) The name of the salesperson who processed the sale or other
transaction.
(F) The right thumbprint of the purchaser or transferee on the
above form.
(G) The purchaser's or transferee's full residential address and
telephone number.
(H) The purchaser's or transferee's date of birth.

The bill also states that the transaction must be made face-to-face:

SEC. 6. Section 12318 is added to the Penal Code, to read:
12318. (a) Commencing July 1, 2010, the sale or other transfer of
ownership of handgun ammunition may only occur in a face-to-face
transaction with the seller or transferor being provided bona fide
evidence of identity from the purchaser or other transferee.

Whit if I lost my right thumb in a tragic boating accident while trying to find the guns that were lost in another tragic boating accident?

Coming soon to People's Republic near you.[thinking]

Now instead of just a drug problem, they will have a black market ammo problem.
And I'm sure the cops are just thrilled they have to baby sit another set of records.

Last edited:
I feel really bad for everyone who lives in CA. Sounds like a good time to get out.

Yeah, its really going down the sh*tter now. Not long ago, it was still better than Mass. But now the AWB is much worse and even the ammo situation is much worse (especially since the next state over is really far away). The handgun situation is even going to be worse soon w/ microstamping. Plus, forget about green LTC towns: almost the entire state is anti-CCW.

I foresee many, many gunshops opening up on the CA/AZ border... and doing a great business.

I also foresee SemiAutoSam's gasoline bill going up. All them trips to AZ.

I wonder how long it will take Uncle Deval to propose the same thing here in MA???

He'd love to stick it to us...

Everytime I see his picture a song from the Wizard of Oz comes to mind... everybody sing!

If I Only Had a Brain

I could while away the coffers, conferrin' with the powers
Consultin' with the lame.
And my ass I'd be scratchin' while
my lice were busy hatchin'
If I only had a brain.
I'd remove every freedom for any individ'le,
In Mass or in Spain.
With the punishment you'll be servin'
you could be another Kennedy
If you only had a brain.
Oh, I could tell you why The speeches are damn near empty.
I could think of taxes I never thunk before.
And then I'd fart, and think some more.
I would disgrace my family, life would be over for the elderly,
If I only had a brain.

Last edited by a moderator:
poster.jpg

Wow. Let's hope for all our sakes (regardless of what state you live in) that the 2A is incorporated. We've got a long road ahead even if it is... many lawsuits. Ugh.

The good news for many of us is that we can drive to numerous states from MA in rather short order. I can be in RI in half an hour, and just a bit more to NH. Maine is an hour away. There is also Vermont in a pinch.

Worst case I take a road trip to buy ammo in a reasonable state. I'd simply back up the truck and filler up with ammo on each trip.

All Deval would succeed in doing here in MA is putting small businesses at risk with stupid legislation. Our local neighborhood gun shops would be hurt badly I fear.

He'd drive the consumers to neighboring states, much like he has with the sales tax increase.

Back
Top Bottom