Cabela's is coming to Mass.

This morning's Attleboro paper has a story that Cabela's plans an outdoor superstore in Plainville, Mass. at the intersection of 495 and Route 1. (This is the town just south of Foxboro where Bass Pro Shops is supposed to be building a giant store.)

They will have 225 full-time jobs and 300 part-time jobs. Get your resumes ready, boys. [lol]

Hmm, sounds like a plan!! [lol]

This is MUCH MORE LIKELY to actually happen than Bass Pro moving into Bob Kraft's property at the Gillette Stadium! [I think this is DOA, see my post in that thread on Bass Pro for reasons why.]

Cabella's

Cabellas is a pretty sure bet. This is a great location. at the intersection of Rtes. 495 and 1, about 6 miles south of Gillette stadium, where the Bass is intended on Rte 1.

The Lorusso asphalt plant was closed. Jerry Lorusso is a sharp developer who has been integral to the development of the entire 495/1 intersection, bringing in a Target, a Lowe's, and now a Cabellas. Hopefully, the Bass deal with Bob Kraft will come through as well.

Now you might think that this would be worrisome to existing gun dealers in the area. It should not be. As big as they are, these new outfits will have lots of overhead, and their primary focus is the sale of equipment. They will attract sporting people to the area.

We all know that the problem in Massachusetts is that the "establishment" has treated gun owners as part of a lunatic fringe. Companies like Bass and Cabellas are embraced by the rest of the country. Let's hope that they succeed in Massachusetts, and that that they help our citizens and legislators to get a better perspective on the sport and the industry.

GLC
(American Firearms School)

OH man, I have to get a part time job there...

And that section is blowing up...I live right down from that area. And that Target was great to have. I hate having to drive past the mall to get to one.

So, this could be a good thing for the area.

Do they have a date when they thing that it might be open?

Paladin said:
This morning's Attleboro paper has a story that Cabela's plans an outdoor superstore in Plainville, Mass. at the intersection of 495 and Route 1. (This is the town just south of Foxboro where Bass Pro Shops is supposed to be building a giant store.)

They will have 225 full-time jobs and 300 part-time jobs. Get your resumes ready, boys. [lol]

Was this in the Sun??

Found this..

Cabela's sets sights on Plainville

PLAINVILLE -- Cabela's -- the selfproclaimed `` World's Foremost Outfitter'' of hunting, fishing and outdoor gear -- is eyeing Plainville as the location of its next retail outpost, selectmen learned Monday night.

The project, a 180,000-square-foot store billed as a tourist destination center with restaurant and hotel proposed for a lot near the junction of Route 1 and Interstate 495, is the second giant outdoor-themed store proposed for the area.
Last month, Bass Pro Shops Outdoor World, announced plans to open its first store in New England in a former New England Patriots parking lot near Gillette Stadium in Foxboro.

Paladin said:

I don't even live close, but would consider a few hours a week, strictly for the potential discounts.

Been a few stories about them building one up here in South portland too. They won't confirm building plans just that they did have reps discuss it with city officials.

dreppucci007 said:
Paladin said:

I don't even live close, but would consider a few hours a week, strictly for the potential discounts.

Yea, when I told my wife that I could bring in some extra money working part time...

She said that she knew better, that I just wanted to work there for the employee discounts.

She knows me so well.

C-pher,

It is too true, I'd expect that most of us would spend our checks on the deals at the store or by picking up those trade-ins for dirt.

I watched that happen with people I know who worked in Colman's back in the 1970s-80s, after the sucker who sold the gun to the store for $35-50 walked out (and the guns were worth $100-200 back then).

john77 said:
It appears the Kraft's recruited Bass Pro to come to Foxboro. Here is an article that was on Boston.com today about Bass Pro and Cabela's.

http://www.boston.com/business/articles/2006/01/25/new_role_for_krafts_developers/?p1=MEWell_Pos1

Wait until Bob Kraft finds out that they sell evil guns and ammo! I won't be surprised if he puts some serious restrictions on what they can sell in any lease agreement. A commercial Realtor friend told me that she has serious doubts about Bass Pro coming to Kraft's properties. I tend to agree with her . . . when I approached Gillette Stadium about potential rental for a gun show, nobody ever returned my phone call . . . I think that there was a message there.

Yeah, but I figure with those DEEEEEEP pockets they have, they should be able to get the system to move in their direction.

Adam

Scrivener said:
Note also that the local police chief decides if a gun/ammo sales license will issue.............

And I've heard mixed reports on my friend Ed!

I used to see him wander the gun shows when they were in Foxboro, although one of his officers told me recently that he's not really a gun person, just wanted to know what's going on in his back yard.

I used to know someone who had a hard time with Ed on getting his Fed paperwork signed for the smgs that he owned/wanted to buy. Seems that he accused Ed of "losing" some of the Fed paperwork. Only heard one side of this story, so no idea what really happened and that guy was last in CA as I was told.

Be interesting to see how this all works out. And in the end could very well be that one of the shops may go under. My guess would probably be the one that doesn't cater to the shooting community as well. (I mean, if you fish AND hunt where are you most likely to shop, 2 cents says the one that caters to both first.)

Yes Bass pro is moving there its on there website. Called and talked to them said the building should be done in 2007.

Cabela's there is no word I called and they don't have anything showing they will open a store in Mass but the woman said sometimes people in the area get the word before they do.

Cabela's coming to Maine

My friend, a Maine guide, said that Cabela's just bought an option on dozens of acres of land near Kennebunkport. Right in LL Bean's shadow.

henchmen77 said:
Yes Bass pro is moving there its on there website. Called and talked to them said the building should be done in 2007.

Cabela's there is no word I called and they don't have anything showing they will open a store in Mass but the woman said sometimes people in the area get the word before they do.
This also might have something about the tax breaks Cabela's wants to have given to them BEFORE they agree to build. They seem like they want to be tax exempt from the state. The jobs at both Bass Pro Shops and Cabela's jobs will pay pretty much equivalent to what Wal-Mart pays,$10 something an hour. At that payback into the economy it'll take decades before the taxpayers of Massachusetts see any of their investment back. Bass Pro Shops on the other hand isn't looking for any hand-outs and are willing to make their profit using a different strategy. They are going to do it the old fashion way......EARN IT. I realize tax breaks can alot of times be better for the local economy in the long run. If Cabela's does indeed build my spending will be done down the street. I don't have a very high opinion on welfare or free rides. Just my .02 worth.[pot]

Cabela's

They are building all over the country at a fairly rapid rate. One is under construction now right next to Giant's Stadium in NJ. I didn't hear anything about a tax break for that location. I didn't hear anything about a tax break for the one being negociated in Hookset, NH but that one is only in the pliminary planning stages. Even still, their prices are higher than Riley's for reloading components.

Last edited:
rscalzo said:
They are building all over the country at a fairly rapid rate. One is under construction now right next to Giant's Sadium in NJ. I didn't hear anything about a tax break for that location. I didn't hear anything about a tax break for the one being negociated in Hookset, NH but that one is only in the pliminary planning stages. Even still, their prices are higher than Riley's for reloading components.
It was in the Boston Globe last week. Sorry I don't have a link for it.

Here is a link to Cabela's tax break in most of the other state's it has built in. I can say that the Cabela's in PA is a tourist attection. Many of my friends have driven almost two hours to shop at the store. It has drawn a huge amount of people to the area. The one being built in NJ is billed more as a tourist attection in a newly built entertainment complex than a retail store.

http://www.journalstar.com/articles/2005/05/17/top_story/doc428945bc70321475251307.txt

rscalzo said:
Here is a link to Cabela's tax break in most of the other state's it has built in. I can say that the Cabela's in PA is a tourist attection. Many of my friends have driven almost two hours to shop at the store. It has drawn a huge amount of people to the area. The one being built in NJ is billed more as a tourist attection in a newly built entertainment complex than a retail store.

http://www.journalstar.com/articles/2005/05/17/top_story/doc428945bc70321475251307.txt
My wife and I almost stopped there on our way back from Tennessee a few weeks ago. Unfortunately it was during that bad storm we had so we had to bypass it. It was about 35 miles out of our way off Rt. 81. We did get to the Bass Pro Shops in TN. It was alot bigger than the Kittery Trading Post for sure. Both chains try to bill themselves as destinations rather than chain stores because they are both massive in size. I do like both of them but don't like the fact that one of them wants a hand out and the other doesn't. Both stores will bring into the area the same amount of business because of similar prices,products, and store size. If either of them opens in tax-free NH both my wife and I will make a haul from the store.[smile]

I was chairman of the town's Development and Industrial Commission (DIC) for 25 years. I was also actively involved with zoning issues for longer than that, so I'll offer some inside information.

Almost NO large "tax producing" (industrial or commercial) developments are sited without demands on both sides for major concessions.

- The huge industrial park in Mansfield used the clout of the town to force some landowners to sell out to the developer. No doubt, Rte. 140 was widened there as part of the deal to site the park. I believe that the town offered tax concessions for x years to get the park located there. [I no longer remember all the details as it was probably close to 20 years ago when I met with their DIC chairman and discussed this project.]

- I know of some industrial park developers who were forced to give the town a new fire station or new fire engines as part of the deal.

- The former RCA, former DEC facility (called MRO) alongside I-495 was purchased by another company after DEC folded. They forced the Feds/State/Marlboro to provide a fly-way exit ramp off/on-to I-495 directly from the industrial park as part of their deal to expand the park.

- There were some serious concessions made to keep the Patriots in Foxboro. Lots of highway improvements were made. Don't recall if the gov't paid for them but I suspect as much.

- The city of Mumbles offered some serious concessions to the Red Sox to keep the stadium wedged in where it is rather than see them move to a suburban location where they could build a huge stadium and have parking!

- I've sat thru Zoning Board of Appeals meetings where the ZBA demanded items/concessions from the developers that had absolutely nothing to do with their development. It was an "either do it or get denied your permits" issue! I call it extortion!

This is a commonly accepted practice in land development. And it happens everywhere not just in MA. Most of what goes on is only known to a handful of "insiders" that are involved and rarely makes the news.

Last edited:
you think the gov. extortion is bad in Mass??? you ain't seen nothing until you do business in RI....

Back
Top Bottom