C&R local PD involvement

I remember their being a C&R thread a while back but I can't seem to locate it now.

I was looking for an answer as to the local PD's involvement in the C&R process. I had sent my paperwork into the ATF a little while back and then the local PD rep said that the chief doesn't often give these out. Give these out? I was under the thought that the local PD had no involvement at all, you just needed to give them their copy because this was an FFL not a StateFL. He wanted to know why I wanted it, what I had, what I wanted. I thought he was confusing this with MG paper work and made it clear that I was interested in 'turn of the century bolt action rifles' and I avoided all those other questions and gave a general answer. Can anyone clarify this with me?

For Mass, did I need to do anything other than fill out the cleo copy without the billing information, put it in an envelope and drop it off at the local PD to the Chief attention?

Thanks.

For Mass, did I need to do anything other than fill out the cleo copy without the billing information, put it in an envelope and drop it off at the local PD to the Chief attention?

Nope, purely informational for the chief. He has no say so.

They must have been confusing it with a MG license.

One copy goes to BATFE, and one copy goes to local PD. It says right on the app, and the local copy is just a duplicate sans billing information. Put a yellow stickie on the copy that goes to local pd to say that this is just an FYI per BATFE rules, no action is required on your part.
Done.

C&R thread here:
http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=104

the chief has no involvement in the C+R process other then a signature. I think they were thinking a "green" card or a MG license.

The chief doesn't sign anything. It's only given to him because the ATF says to. He has no authority, nor does he permit or sign anything.

Let's not spread bad info here.

Thanks for the reply's all and thanks for the link Pilgrim.

Well I couldn't leave well enough alone which is how this came about. I was talking with the firearms officer and what I previously said happened. He said 'oh your into the automatics' at which time I made it clear that this wasn't a machine gun license app, just a C&R so that I could collect old guns and have them shipped. He then said he understood and that they didn't give many of these out.

So, he must be confused and I should have never pursued.

Thanks again for the input and I'll keep my mouth shut next time. I can't wait till I start work Monday and don't have this free time to get myself in trouble.

When I sent the form to the Boston PD, they signed it, stamped it received and mailed it back to me.

Well when I first met this guy he was great. He helped me out, came in on an off day, did my finger prints pic ect. When I talked to him today I felt interrogated, I spoke wisely and avoided what I could. Everyone has their off days, I still think that he was a nice guy.

When I sent my C&R application to the CLEO in my town I sent a note saying the following,

Enclosed please find, as per federal regulation, a copy of my ATF Form 7CR. You are not required to take any action with respect to the enclosed form. If I can be of any service, or if there are any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me at the address above.

I'm pretty sure that I got the wording either from the C&R thread here or from surplusrifles.com. In either case, I never heard a word from them.

They did indeed. They even called and asked if I wanted it mailed back to me or if I wanted to come in and pick it up.

Unnecessary on their part, but definitely a professional way to handle it.

Pilgrim said:
Nope, purely informational for the chief. He has no say so.

Well, it's not purely informational. The CLEO copy asks the chief to report to ATF if they have any reason to believe the applicant is not eligible to possess the license. But, basically, your eligible unless you're federally prohibited from owning firearms (and a few other simple requirements, like US residency), and there's nothing the local chief can do to stop the application if your eligible.

They did indeed. They even called and asked if I wanted it mailed back to me or if I wanted to come in and pick it up.

When I sent them mine, I never heard anything again. When I moved, I communicated with the new town's licensing officer about it only to see who it should be sent to. I'm sure it was circular filed.

Well, it's not purely informational. The CLEO copy asks the chief to report to ATF if they have any reason to believe the applicant is not eligible to possess the license. But, basically, your eligible unless you're federally prohibited from owning firearms (and a few other simple requirements, like US residency), and there's nothing the local chief can do to stop the application if your eligible.

Trust me on this . . . if the chief can articulate sufficient reason that it shouldn't be issued to BATFE, they may well reject the application in spite of no statutory DQ. The reason chiefs don't typically do this is strictly because BATFE isn't interested in "fuzzy unsuitability" criteria and it would embarrass the chief to make those type allegations.

Trust me on this . . . if the chief can articulate sufficient reason that it shouldn't be issued to BATFE, they may well reject the application in spite of no statutory DQ. The reason chiefs don't typically do this is strictly because BATFE isn't interested in "fuzzy unsuitability" criteria and it would embarrass the chief to make those type allegations.

If the Chief could articulate something like that, wouldn't he have a hard time explaining why he issued a LTC in the first place? I mean the whole "suitability" thing is pretty vague and easy for the chief, so if he's wiling to issue a LTC, even a restricted one, then the C&R applicant has to be pretty clean.

If the Chief could articulate something like that, wouldn't he have a hard time explaining why he issued a LTC in the first place? I mean the whole "suitability" thing is pretty vague and easy for the chief, so if he's wiling to issue a LTC, even a restricted one, then the C&R applicant has to be pretty clean.

You don't need a LTC or FID to obtain a C&R FFL, at least the Feds don't require it.

Don Swarz's screed is etched in my brain where he'd testify at the state house every year that he held a C&R FFL but his chief (Stoughton) refused to issue him a LTC. No idea if it was true or not, but I must have heard him say it 3 or 4 years in a row.

Every time I consider getting a C&R license, something comes up to remind me why I don't. Enough people know my business already. Why add one more uniformed goon?

Local LEO's may have little experience when it comes to the FFL 03. I sent a letter to the Chief which included the language in the application documents supplied by the BATF.
He sent me a signed copy for my records. Not required but nice to have to show that he received it. I know what is coming next....you need to send it registered, return receipt etc. etc. etc.

I guess I get along with the Chief so its not an issue.

read the C+R BATF material and follow the regs and all will be fine.

You don't need a LTC or FID to obtain a C&R FFL, at least the Feds don't require it.

Don Swarz's screed is etched in my brain where he'd testify at the state house every year that he held a C&R FFL but his chief (Stoughton) refused to issue him a LTC. No idea if it was true or not, but I must have heard him say it 3 or 4 years in a row.

Maybe you don't in legal terms, but you do in practical terms.

Every time I consider getting a C&R license, something comes up to remind me why I don't. Enough people know my business already. Why add one more uniformed goon?

I feel the same way, but the joy of having guns arrive at my door from UPS without the ridiculous 7 day waiting period (in RI), FFL transfer fee, background check, paperwork, etc. outweighed my fears of black helicopters. [wink]

I feel the same way, but the joy of having guns arrive at my door from UPS without the ridiculous 7 day waiting period (in RI), FFL transfer fee, background check, paperwork, etc. outweighed my fears of black helicopters. [wink]

It's not black helicopters that concern me here. Those are dispatched by the Feds to whom you apply. It's having the Chief in a jerkwater town know more about my shit than I care for him to know that irks me.

Uniformed goon!!!!!!!![shocked] Nice statement. Somehow I don't think of LEO's as goons. IMO

Think what you want. What I have within the walls of my home ought to be my business.

Perfectly reasonable. Let's not turn this into a fight, guys. Either you like the benefits a C&R gives you so you get one, or you don't like the intrusion into your privacy and you don't. Both choices are reasonable. Of course, the choice is more meaningful in a free state than it is here in MA.

Perfectly reasonable. Let's not turn this into a fight, guys. Either you like the benefits a C&R gives you so you get one, or you don't like the intrusion into your privacy and you don't. Both choices are reasonable. Of course, the choice is more meaningful in a free state than it is here in MA.

Agree, I was only commenting on calling an LEO a goon. Maybe it just hit a nerve.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom