C&R help

NHDaveK, I find the referenced 478.91 under "Subpart F - Conduct of Business"

In my IANAL interpretation, this would apply only to a dealer, as C&R FFLs are expressly forbidden to "conduct business" with said license.

Also, C&R FFL inspections can be held at the BATFE office and only require a paperwork inspection (not an inspection of the guns themselves), so the applicability of that section would be very unlikely.

That said, many BATFE agents doing inspections of C&R FFLs do not seem to understand the distinction between dealers and collectors and have demanded things in excess of their authority during audits.

Hi Len.
I agree,its meant for dealers.My concern is it does not,like they do elsewhere, put just dealers,manufactures .. and not C&R.Like many things in that huge book they are not real specific or make the most sense.

I laugh when I look at it on the safe,my only "walk-ins" are my two labs, but figure if they do an audit,(would of course as you suggest, chose the office one if given as they do for most) they will see I am "over" careful about following the rules and not go looking for something I might have missed.

Its probably unnecessary,maybe not required but I am a better safe then sorry guy and as you say,who knows what some audit agent might come up with.I too have heard some wild stories.

Best,
Dave

SSN is optional, even according to their instructions.

I would never fill it in, nor would I leave it blank (looks like you forgot). I'd put "Refused" or some-such in that space and send it back.

Len,
you don't think they know it,or can get it already? I agree that I am not fan of giving it out,DL's for instance but I give the BATF what they ask for when I want something from them-my FFL.
Kinda like not sending food back in a restaurant "never piss off people alone with your food"[grin]

Sent my C&R app just nine days ago.

Looks like we'll have a good baseline for turnaround time (in this season, this year--who knows what all the variables could be?) once one of us gets it back...

Len,
you don't think they know it,or can get it already? I agree that I am not fan of giving it out,DL's for instance but I give the BATF what they ask for when I want something from them-my FFL.
Kinda like not sending food back in a restaurant "never piss off people alone with your food"[grin]

It says "Optional" on the application. I left it blank on mine and just received my C&R FFL a week or two ago.

It says "Optional" on the application. I left it blank on mine and just received my C&R FFL a week or two ago.

I left the title and SS# blank and the app got bounced back highlighted asking for them both. Im not a fan of giving out my SS# but I want the license so I gave it out

I left the title and SS# blank and the app got bounced back highlighted asking for them both. Im not a fan of giving out my SS# but I want the license so I gave it out

Smart move,we all know they can get the SSN and much more if they want,some states have it on the DL.
No big deal to give it to them and it helps make the process move along quicker.Leave it blank and they send it back if they feel like it.

look forward to hearing when you get you FFL,have you been shopping for the first acquisition entry ?

Smart move,we all know they can get the SSN and much more if they want,some states have it on the DL.
No big deal to give it to them and it helps make the process move along quicker.Leave it blank and they send it back if they feel like it.

look forward to hearing when you get you FFL,have you been shopping for the first acquisition entry ?

Ive been looking a little because if start really shopping the wait will get longer![grin]

You could call them to be sure they got the updated form,might help move you up to the front again.

Anybody know of a # to call? Thanks Tom

edit 1-866-662-2750 I just called and Im not in the system. My check was cashed 5 weeks ago and Im wondering if my app was lost in the mail when I submitted it the 2nd time due to lack of SS and "collector" in the title box. They transferred me to a Massachusetts office but I got a voice mail

Last edited:
I just sent another app in today, as, apparently, my first one which was sent two months ago was never received by them... I'll post up the wait time when I eventually get it. Good luck on yours.

Thats the number,its on the license in Atlanta,and the correct one to call.

Strange they show its not in the system,they must have given you a number from here.

http://www.atf.gov/contact/field/

Up side is at least your not waiting for it no to come as its not in the system.They should get to the bottom of it,I have called them 6 or so times over the years always been very polite,and helpful.Hope they get to the bottom of it soon for you.

I have a friend who "works" for homeland, he say's one call is good to make sure the application is in their hands. 2nd, try to pay by credit card. U can tell when they r processing your app by the charge on the cc. If u see a refund on the cc, it means u didn't get. The CLEO copy blanks out all payment info. Every week I checked my cc online an they charged $30, and got the C&R in 4 wks. Guess I'm lucky, but ordered an M1 and ammo from CMP!! Now to wait for that!!

Nice gun day:

Came back with prizes from my first ever visit to FS, and came home to find my C&R in the mail.

(Just under two months total time from application, including the double turnaround due to me omitting my SS# and the BATFE not...liking that.)

Nice gun day:

Came back with prizes from my first ever visit to FS, and came home to find my C&R in the mail.

(Just under two months total time from application, including the double turnaround due to me omitting my SS# and the BATFE not...liking that.)

I got the slap on the wrist too for no SS# and not putting collector in title added 2+ weeks to the process. Bought a cz52 and I am currently shopping online for a Mosin

To everybody: Is the fear of putting down your SSN the same as having to provide it on ANYTHING written that will leave your posession?

I will be filling out the paperwork soon, and would like as fast a turnaround as possible. I have always put my SSN when buying firearms at local stores, mainly because I haven't applied for the UPIN.

Back
Top Bottom