C&R help

There was a great thread or sticky for getting a C&R. Im searching but not finding it for some reason. Does anybody know the thread or threads? Thanks Tom

with a C&R. How often BATF will drop in your home to inspect un-anounced?

Should be ZERO according to the BATFE Regs. HOWEVER, I know of at least one person who got an unannounced visit, wasn't home and they insisted that his Wife call him and DEMAND his return home immediately . . . all in violation of their own Regs. [shocked]

Some agents forget (or were never taught) the difference between an 01 FFL (Dealer) and 03 FFL (collector). They can do that to dealers but NOT to collectors.

Pushing back, calling a supervisor could have put that incident to bed immediately. I think that the guy bitched after the fact and got an apology. Unless you stand up for your rights (at the time), you really have no rights! [thinking]

Envelopes go out tomorrow! ATF asks for your #SS on any checks or money orders. I chose not to include my SS# on my business check and hope this doesnt cause a problem.

Envelopes go out tomorrow! ATF asks for your #SS on any checks or money orders. I chose not to include my SS# on my business check and hope this doesnt cause a problem.

NEVER, I don't do this on tax payments either! Gov't tells you to secure your SSN and then adds dumb-ass instructions to violate that. My name & address is on checks, that's all they need to associate your money with your form. The also explain in the instructions semi-properly that SSN is optional and nothing bad will happen if you don't give it to them. [Write your name on the business check so the ID is clear.]

Pay by credit card and that problem goes away IIRC.

NEVER, I don't do this on tax payments either! Gov't tells you to secure your SSN and then adds dumb-ass instructions to violate that. My name & address is on checks, that's all they need to associate your money with your form. The also explain in the instructions semi-properly that SSN is optional and nothing bad will happen if you don't give it to them. [Write your name on the business check so the ID is clear.]

Pay by credit card and that problem goes away IIRC.

Yes my name is on the check along with a memo for C&R. I dont usually put my SS# on anything so I was just checking

My first C&R FFL went with a check and I didn't put SSN on it.

Subsequent renewals offered cc option and that is the way I have gone since then.

I recieved my C&R license fairly quick 5 weeks from sent to return...The info and regulation package ahhh about 4 months ?

New member here, first post.
I have had a C&R FFL (03) for many years (over 12) and happy to help anyone on here with questions or help getting one.

The link was posted before but this is also a good site

http://parallaxscurioandrelicfirearmsforums.yuku.com/bparallaxscurioandrelicfirearmsforums

First thing you need to do is get or make a bound book (can be loose leaf binder),other first thing is when you get your license,before you sign it,go get 50 copies.

Hope that helps
Dave K

Sign it after you make the copies,that way the copies are unsigned until you do it when you use each copy,one at a time.You can sign the original-again after the copies are made,then put it in the frame-its "supposed" to be displayed (mine is on top of my safe ).

Last edited:
other first thing is when you get your license,before you sign it,go get 50 copies.

Hope that helps
Dave K

I would also recommend scanning it into your computer and keeping it filed. I wish I did this with my DD214 years ago...All my copies of that have a photocopied coffee stain on them

I have NEVER signed my original C&R FFL. I seem to remember instructions back 12 years ago saying NOT TO DO THAT.

I have never posted my C&R FFL. I don't believe that applies to a C&R COLLECTOR, only to dealers/mfrs.

I immediately scan in my C&R FFL upon receipt and print out copies from the scan (a lot cleaner than photocopying). I only sign them as I hand them over to make a purchase or send to a distributor.

I'll welcome any correction to the above if anyone can cite USC or CFR that requires signing or posting original.

I have NEVER signed my original C&R FFL. I seem to remember instructions back 12 years ago saying NOT TO DO THAT.

I have never posted my C&R FFL. I don't believe that applies to a C&R COLLECTOR, only to dealers/mfrs.

I immediately scan in my C&R FFL upon receipt and print out copies from the scan (a lot cleaner than photocopying). I only sign them as I hand them over to make a purchase or send to a distributor.

I'll welcome any correction to the above if anyone can cite USC or CFR that requires signing or posting original.

Mine didn't mention the requirement to post it. As for the signing, the exact wording on my letter said:

Note you have received only one original license. DO NOT SIGN THE ORIGINAL LICENSE prior to making copies, as the signature on each certified copy must be an original.

So, technically you can sign it, but you'd better not run out of copies if you do. That's why I scanned mine in, unsigned.

I'll welcome any correction to the above if anyone can cite USC or CFR that requires signing or posting original.[/QUOTE]

Here ya go;

http://www.atf.gov/publications/download/p/atf-p-5300-4.pdf

"§ 478.91 Posting of license.
Any license issued under this part shall
be kept posted and kept available for inspection
on the premises covered by the
license.

I doubt it makes much difference if its posted as long as no one sees it anyway,but if there is a inspection its best to follow the rule.

As to signing the original the license says right on it
"Do not sign Original prior to making copies"

Mine is signed and in a cheap frame above the safe,-better safe the sorry

As far as copies, I take mine to Staples, you can't tell the difference in the original to the copy except for the color of the original. I have mine scanned to but never trust my computer to have the only unsigned copy,just as easy to have it copied.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom