C&R collection and Massachusetts laws

I have a rhetorical question....

Quite a few years ago...maybe 6 or 8 years ago, I was thinking of moving to Mass. I have had a C&R FFL license for a while, and wondered if I would have to register the firearms in my collection with the State. It didn't make sense to me, because I doubt other FFL holders, such as class 01 FFL: dealers, register with the state every transaction into and out of their Federal Bound book registration, so why should a class 03 FFL have to register with the State.

I contacted GOAL, and asked if C&R items in the bound book have to be registered with the State....GOAL advized me that NO, Curio and Relic firearms registered in your bound book are already federally registered, and do NOT have to be registered with the State.

I'm curious....

1) Has this advice and policy from GOAL changed ?

2) .do C&R collectors in Mass. register the firearms they acquire with the State via the fa-10,

3) and if registered and then they sell their C&R firearm to an out of state resident, does that out of State residents information go into the State of MAssachusetts records ?

YOu can email me with your answers if you don't want to post,

Thanks,

[email protected]

Please do a SEARCH on this forum. You will find all the answers there, at least 4 or 5 times. Also posted was info on the uselessness of the state's database . . . no gun transactions are EVER removed from their precious database.

To save you the search, there is absolutely no requirement to register any firearms that you bring into Massachusetts when you first move here. Some police departments will claim otherwise, but it's absolutely false. Once you are here, you need to file an FA-10 for any firearm that you bring into the state (either part of your collection that you're finally getting around to moving here or a new trade/purchase from out-of-state). The only exception is for purchases from licensed Massachusetts dealers, who do the paperwork to register the transaction.

Ken

KMaurer said:
. Once you are here, you need to file an FA-10 for any firearm that you bring into the state (either part of your collection that you're finally getting around to moving here or a new trade/purchase from out-of-state).
Ken
I heard this was suppose to be done within a certain amount of time of filing for residence and there was some stiff fines for non-compliance. Is this true? Thanks

You have 60 days to get a license after moving here, but there is no need to 'register' the guns you move in with.

In fact, you could move away from MA, buy a truckload of guns and then move back a year later and never tell the state what's in that second moving van.

If you haven't figured it out, the laws certainly don't have to make any sense.

When Hubby moved down here from Maine, I went to my local police department and asked about his guns - they said they weren't interested in them at all! [shock] I do live in a gun-friendly town, but I thought that was strange - turns out it's true. We're both licensed for all lawful purposes.

Ann raises a very good point. Anybody considering moving to Massachusetts should look carefully at the licensing policies of towns under consideration before making the decision. You might find yourself in a town where the chief will only issue a restricted handgun license after more paperwork and running around than it took me to get my first TS+ security clearance, while your neighbor a couple of hundred yards down the road can bet both a completely unrestricted license and a machine gun license with absolutely no hassle. Forget any silly ideas you might have had about "equal protection" or "due process"; you're just another gun owner here, which puts you one rung below child rapers and televangelists.

Ken

hikerlt said:
It didn't make sense to me, because I doubt other FFL holders, such as class 01 FFL: dealers, register with the state every transaction into and out of their Federal Bound book registration, so why should a class 03 FFL have to register with the State.

The only reason that class 01 FFL holders wouldn't ahve to register all those transactions with FA10's is because 99.9% of them are licensed as firearms delaers by the state. It that 0.1% is still around (I used to know one of them), he or she would be required to register those transactions just the same as you or I, and be limited to no more than 4 sales per year in state.

Ken

SO do your C&R sales count as your four a year?

IF, and I don't see me ever doing it, but if I were to get rid of one of my C&Rs to someone out of state, do I still need to do a FA-10 letting the state know that it's gone??? And that would count?

Do I need to worry about an FA-10 if I were to sell a C&R to another MA resident? I mean, can't I just send him the C&R to his house and let him deal with just "Registering" it on his end with an C&R. I don't see how I could do a FA-10 if we never meet face to face.

C-pher, you better read some of the past replies about C&Rs here!!

If you sell a C&R privately, yes you do the FA-10 and it does count against the 4/year.

If you sell a C&R to a dealer or sell it (ship) to an FFL out of state, NO FA-10 is done!

As I have stated probably a dozen times before, NOBODY can "UNREGISTER" a gun in MA. It will forever be on the books (with you as owner) even if resold dozens of times later. That is what makes the database useless!

Personally I would NOT ship any guns to another MA C&R FFL, I would insist on a face to face transaction to comply with MGLs. I know of at least one person who has stated publicly many times that he has a C&R FFL, but his chief REFUSES to issue him a LTC (as an unsuitable person)! So the C&R FFL is no guarantee that the person actually has a LTC any you could be jammed up if you don't actually see it.

Remember 3 things:

- A LTC is NOT a prerequisite to get a C&R FFL!
- If a LTC is revoked, suspended or a RO results in confiscation, your C&R FFL most likely will NOT be confiscated or revoked!
- MA does NOT recognize the C&R FFL in any way, shape of form. Thus it does not exempt you from any transaction requirements.

You also want to be careful about how many of your C&R purchases you sell and how close to the purchase of said piece you sell it. A C&R is for collecting, not buying and selling for more money shortly thereafter.

Just a gentle reminder from Mom. :D

Back
Top Bottom