Buying out of State to avoid MA trigger?

Does that work? I know you can buy out of state but if you bought a gun out of state that was on the approved roster, would the trigger hold it up when it got the to MA FFL? I'm already planning on 1 or 2 new Glocks before I move back since I'm not buying some ancient overpriced POS but figured that would help how and what I buy before I move back.

Well if your a VA resident, then you can buy guns in VA[STRIKE] and then when you move back to MA send in the FA-10[/STRIKE]. Just because its on the Ma roster doesn't mean it has a Ma trigger. Case in point, my M&P has a Ma trigger because it was purchased in MA. If I lived in NH, and purchased the same gun, it would have a lighter trigger pull. But because I live in Ma, I can not go to NH and buy the gun with a free state trigger, and have it transfered to a Ma FFL, because they can not sell it to me.

Last edited:
My M&P40 is on there...5.5# trigger.(to be exact it's like 5.8) Didn't buy in MA but still. Per M&P armorers manual they come thru stock with 6.5#. I'm sure being lower than that is luck. But still not MA heavy.

Well if your a VA resident, then you can buy guns in VA and then when you move back to MA send in the FA-10. Just because its on the Ma roster doesn't mean it has a Ma trigger. Case in point, my M&P has a Ma trigger because it was purchased in MA. If I lived in NH, and purchased the same gun, it would have a lighter trigger pull. But because I live in Ma, I can not go to NH and buy the gun with a free state trigger, and have it transfered to a Ma FFL, because they can not sell it to me.

Then I guess the original plan stays, Complete my arsenal before I move back. So once I'm a MA resident again I can't buy at out of state shows or online shops?

My M&P40 is on there...5.5# trigger.(to be exact it's like 5.8) Didn't buy in MA but still. Per M&P armorers manual they come thru stock with 6.5#. I'm sure being lower than that is luck. But still not MA heavy.

Stock M&P at 6.5 can be had in other states. Did you buy it in Va? The Ma compliant model has heavier springs (one of which is larger than than the model sold in other states) that bring the trigger up to 10#'s. Thats why there are many people here that say their Ma triggers suck

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/127887-I-hate-my-trigger!

There is a physical difference between the guns sold in "free states" and the ones sold in Ma. If you bought it elsewhere, it is the non-mass complaint model.

Then I guess the original plan stays, Complete my arsenal before I move back. So once I'm a MA resident again I can't buy at out of state shows or online shops?

Thats the way to go, but with long guns make sure you don't run afoul of the Ma. AWB.

Handguns have to go through FFL from out of state if you purchase them once you move back. What you bring with you should be just fine. Online/Out of state is ok IF its a Ma compliant model OR it can be proven that it was registered in the state prior to the AG's regulations being put in place. In those cases a FFL can transfer it. Long guns are different.

Also, any mag with a capacity over 10 rounds has be be made prior to 1994. Handgun or long gun. So if you buy a M&P full size, you'll have to ditch the hi-cap's and get Ma cripple mags.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Mass gun laws. Its like a legal Disney World from Hell.

Last edited:
Well if your a VA resident, then you can buy guns in VA and then when you move back to MA send in the FA-10.

Don't know who told you that, but they are ignorant of MGLs.

IFF you move in with guns (at the same time) you do NOT have to file any FA-10s. Only if you bring them in AFTER you move to MA. Same applies if he's "moving back" to MA after an extended time out of state (I'm assuming MIL, stationed in VA here . . . but it's a good example in any case).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom