Buying multiple handguns in same week, some ffl some efa10.

How many can I buy in what time period to not get "flagged"? I'm making a ftf sale on efa 10 and buying a few through a local ffl and possibly another personal sale on efa 10. How long between purchases so I don't get visit or call.

# of transactions is not particularly relevant.

what matters is multi sales, which is defined as 2 or more handguns. AFAIK long guns and receivers/frames don't count. so basically if you make 5 purchases with each having 2 pistols, that's 5 multi purchases and will raise an eyebrow or two...and yes it will.

hopefully LenS can chime in on this topic.

My friend in NH bought like 5 in a week and his FFL got a call by the ATF and wanted more info on him.

if interested in a specific purchaser they will often just go to that specific person.

- - - Updated - - -

You made 5 purchases? Or a combo of sales and purchases?
Space bar not working!!!lol

^along these lines, 6 separate purchases of 6 handguns looks quite different than 3 purchases of 2 handguns each. the former does not create a single multi-sale, whereas the latter creates 3.

hopefully LenS can chime in on this topic.

if interested in a specific purchaser they will often just go to that specific person.

- - - Updated - - -

^along these lines, 6 separate purchases of 6 handguns looks quite different than 3 purchases of 2 handguns each. the former does not create a single multi-sale, whereas the latter creates 3.

So should I wait 5 business days between purchases to not be flagged?

# of transactions is not particularly relevant.

what matters is multi sales, which is defined as 2 or more handguns. AFAIK long guns and receivers/frames don't count. so basically if you make 5 purchases with each having 2 pistols, that's 5 multi purchases and will raise an eyebrow or two...and yes it will.
Just to clarify - receivers for handguns do count; it's long gun receivers that don't. I once transferred 5 1911 frames in one purchase. The dealer filled out the multiple handgun form, but I never heard anything further. The ATF agent reviewing it might have got the idea when he saw serial numbers like 45, 45ACP, 1911, etc.

So should I wait 5 business days between purchases to not be flagged?

AFAIK this applies to purchases from same FFL, as they would be required to submit a multi if purchasing 2 or more handguns. if different FFL's then wouldn't apply. again i'm not a lawyer or an FFL so please don't quote me here as gospel.

The BATFE added the "receive" check box to the 4473 a few years ago, presumably to make sure that AR lowers no longer fall under the provision allowing out of state purchase of long guns.

I believe that stripped handgun receivers still require the multiple purchase form (I know it did before they added that new checkbox). I am less than 100% certain such is still the case, and would welcome any authorative clarification.

The BATFE added the "receive" check box to the 4473 a few years ago, presumably to make sure that AR lowers no longer fall under the provision allowing out of state purchase of long guns.

I believe that stripped handgun receivers still require the multiple purchase form (I know it did before they added that new checkbox). I am less than 100% certain such is still the case, and would welcome any authorative clarification.

I think you mean the "other" checkbox.

I think it has been answered correctly above. >2 from same FFL within 5 business days requires the notification. Whether or not BATFE will contact you or not is a question that seems to have a variable answer. My Wife purchased 2 guns the same day from Four Seasons, one revolver and one semi . . . never heard a peep. I purchased two semis from FS within ~1 week (don't recall if it was within 5 days) and no issues/no queries. Personally I don't wear tinfoil, so I don't worry about it. YMMV

I think it has been answered correctly above. >2 from same FFL within 5 business days requires the notification. Whether or not BATFE will contact you or not is a question that seems to have a variable answer. My Wife purchased 2 guns the same day from Four Seasons, one revolver and one semi . . . never heard a peep. I purchased two semis from FS within ~1 week (don't recall if it was within 5 days) and no issues/no queries. Personally I don't wear tinfoil, so I don't worry about it. YMMV
The requirement also falls on the FFL to submit the multiple purchase form, not the buyer.

Sent from my 5054N using Tapatalk

Just to clarify - receivers for handguns do count; it's long gun receivers that don't. I once transferred 5 1911 frames in one purchase. The dealer filled out the multiple handgun form, but I never heard anything further. The ATF agent reviewing it might have got the idea when he saw serial numbers like 45, 45ACP, 1911, etc.

Despite what ATF used to instruct FFLs to do (process long gun receivers and long guns and handgun receivers as handguns) receivers are simply a firearm, not a handgun and is marked other on the 4473.

Despite what ATF used to instruct FFLs to do (process long gun receivers and long guns and handgun receivers as handguns) receivers are simply a firearm, not a handgun and is marked other on the 4473.

Correct. Receivers are just that, Others. Not a handgun, not a rifle. Should not be using a multiple handgun form at a FFL for them. Remember. In most free states an AR receiver can be originally built into a pistol.

I've done five transactions over a weekend...no one said sh!t

Any time a customer buys more than 1 HG in the same day we file the form with the ATF. We never mention anything about it to the customer. If someone comes back within 5 days of buying a HG and buys another we file the form. Again not mentioning anything to the customer. So just because you weren't told anything doesn't mean it wasn't filed.

Remember. In most free states an AR receiver can be originally built into a pistol.

That's why you have to be 21+ to have an AR receiver transferred to you in our store.

Last edited:
Any time a customer buys more than 1 HG in the same day we file the form with the ATF. We never mention anything about it to the customer. If someone comes back within 5 days of buying a HG and buys another we file the form. Again not mentioning anything to the customer. So just because you weren't told anything doesn't mean it wasn't filed.

That's why you have to be 21+ to have an AR receiver transferred to you in our store.

You don't warn your customers that this may trigger a visit/call from the BATFE agents? While it's unlikely, it has and could happen.

The rumor mill is turning around that the 3310 processing is lagging behind just like every other BATFE form processing at this time.

AFAIK this applies to purchases from same FFL, as they would be required to submit a multi if purchasing 2 or more handguns. if different FFL's then wouldn't apply. again i'm not a lawyer or an FFL so please don't quote me here as gospel.

You are correct. The licensee (FFL only) has to report if a person buys 2 or more pistols or revolvers in a 5 day period.

Nobody says anything to you. They complete the ATF Form 3310 and send it in. Its nothing you know about.

Also, remember there is nothing illegal about any of this. You aren't under the radar when you buy a gun (legally) in MA anyway, since you have to do an eFA10.

I guess, that if the ATF is allowed to enter this data into a database (in contrast to 4473s which must remain in paper form and are not sent to the ATF) or are able to retain these indefinitely, you would be more visible for longer than it takes the ATF to call the licensee.

I would be interested to know the record retention policy of form 3310s.

Don

p.s. here is the form.

https://www.atf.gov/file/61426/download

- - - Updated - - -

It gets faxed to the ATF on the same day....

It can be faxed, emailed, or snail mailed.

Also, a copy has to be sent to the CLEO in the buyer's town.

Finally, the licensee needs to retain a copy with the form 4473.

And if you are contacted, the conversation can be as short as. "I am not going to discuss this with you. Have a pleasant afternoon".

Last edited:
I was once warned by a shop that they would have to "3310 me" on a handgun purchase I was considering because we had discussed the fact that I had bought a different handgun from a different dealer one town over just 3 or 4 business days prior. WTF??? [thinking]

According to the dealers I've talked with, they are required to send the form to their local CLEO, not the buyer's CLEO. The form itself is pretty vague on that point, but if you look closely, it does talk about "your CLEO" (speaking to the person/shop doing the filing).

This can be an important difference if you happen to live in a town with an actively "anti-2A" CLEO or if you just feel a need to fly under the radar for whatever personal or family reason you might have.

You don't warn your customers that this may trigger a visit/call from the BATFE agents? While it's unlikely, it has and could happen.

The rumor mill is turning around that the 3310 processing is lagging behind just like every other BATFE form processing at this time.

Its bad for buisness to notify sellers, and just the kind of thing im sure the atf would frown upon.
That said while i appreciate a heads up on almost anything... more than one dealer has advice me they have to notify the atf and the buyers local pd...I always tell the ffls that give me the heads up that i dont care.

One time I bought multiple handguns at once then went back 3 days later and made another mulitple purchase... the second purchase went further review, then denied.. only time ive ever been denied.rather than appeal it i just had the ffl resubmit it the next day and it went through and i left with my stuff.

I could see how what i was doing could look bad, going on a serveral month multpi purchase binder.
I never so much as received a phone call from the atf or police...and if they did i would just have said "yes i did buy all those guns and i have no other comment"

Now do i think the atf so much as though about investgating.. no i think not.
But i will tell since the denia i never contested I've never been approved the same day for a purchase, other than one time in the last 9 years.this is so inconvenient and pretty much rule out makeing a purchase at a gunshow unless its somthing i absolutely have to have.

This is why talk of the "Charleston loophole" really gets me pissed off. Most dealers especially one that personally know me tranfer the gun after 3 days... so technically i was never approved other than one time in the past 9 years.... they want an indefinite time frame. Thats bullshit, it will directly effect me. And even if it didnt its not somthing i agree with.

Ohh and i know more than one person who got a upin and the same thing still happens.

So if I buy a gun personally from a seller on EFA10, should I wait 5 business days to purchase a new handgun from a LGS. I don't want to throw up any flags or alarm the better half of my shopping spree.

You are correct. The licensee (FFL only) has to report if a person buys 2 or more pistols or revolvers in a 5 day period.

Nobody says anything to you. They complete the ATF Form 3310 and send it in. Its nothing you know about.

Also, remember there is nothing illegal about any of this. You aren't under the radar when you buy a gun (legally) in MA anyway, since you have to do an eFA10.

I guess, that if the ATF is allowed to enter this data into a database (in contrast to 4473s which must remain in paper form and are not sent to the ATF) or are able to retain these indefinitely, you would be more visible for longer than it takes the ATF to call the licensee.

I would be interested to know the record retention policy of form 3310s.

Don

p.s. here is the form.

https://www.atf.gov/file/61426/download

- - - Updated - - -

And if you are contacted, the conversation can be as short as. "I am not going to discuss this with you. Have a pleasant afternoon".
The data likely does get sent to the ATF eventually, when the business closes. I simply can't believe that they aren't digitizing it at some point in the process

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

So if I buy a gun personally from a seller on EFA10, should I wait 5 business days to purchase a new handgun from a LGS. I don't want to throw up any flags or alarm the better half of my shopping spree.
No need to wait, buy buy buy!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I was once warned by a shop that they would have to "3310 me" on a handgun purchase I was considering because we had discussed the fact that I had bought a different handgun from a different dealer one town over just 3 or 4 business days prior. WTF??? [thinking]

According to the dealers I've talked with, they are required to send the form to their local CLEO, not the buyer's CLEO. The form itself is pretty vague on that point, but if you look closely, it does talk about "your CLEO" (speaking to the person/shop doing the filing).

This can be an important difference if you happen to live in a town with an actively "anti-2A" CLEO or if you just feel a need to fly under the radar for whatever personal or family reason you might have.
They are stupid. I Wouldn't File a 3310 for a purchase at another shop simply because I don't know for fact the other purchase happened it could be joe smith just trying to seem cool. I'd unintentionally be proving batfe with false information.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

2 or more handguns in 5 business days = multiple handgun sales form. contains the same info as the 4473 basically. the dealer keeps one copy, one copy is sent to the local PD (of the ffl) and the top copy goes to the ATF within 7 business days.

have done bunches of these and no one has ever been contacted. It is quite common for people to buy multiple pistols.
I wouldn't worry about it. they prob get hundreds of them a day.

Back
Top Bottom