• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Buying Military Surplus Handguns?

Hello there, I have been eyeballing some military surplus guns that are very inexpensive. Neither of the guns are C&R eligible and not reproduced/manufactured. I am confused as to whether or not a dealer can accept transfer for me? The dealer that holds the guns didn't seem to have an issue but he isn't from this shithole...guns in particular are police trade ins from European countries. FEG AP63 and Star BM,found some excellent prices and just trying to understand. So a transfer out of state if a new firearm has to comply with regs and law? Surplus guns are a-okay since they are not "manufactured for sale" just happen to be for resale?

If anyone knows a really good FFL that could be helpful PM me and I will owe you one. ;)

Last edited:
A MA FFL dealer cannot transfer a handgun not on the EOPS approved roster without potentially facing a penalty due to consumer product regulations mandating the "safety testing" of all handguns sold or transferred by commercial dealers in MA.

You cannot purchase a handgun outside your state of residence and immediately take possession without transferring through a dealer in your home state in accordance with the GCA of 1968.

Either obtain residency at least part time in another state or you are really out of luck.

The Star BM is C&R eligible, so if you have a C&R you can buy it directly. The FEG is not, so as Waher indicated a FFL in MA will not accept it for transfer. You'll need to do what most of us do. Keep an eye on classified sales and gun shows until you find one.

Star BMs may or may not be C&R eligible there are two different models. One is and the later isn't yet, but will be in the next few years.

Either obtain residency at least part time in another state or you are really out of luck.

You'll need to do what most of us do. Keep an eye on classified sales and gun shows until you find one.

There are other ways to get non-compliant pistols at normal prices. Just need to find the right dealer....

I'd do more research on the Star B pistols. I've heard mixed reviews on reliability/parts breaking etc...

I'd do more research on the Star B pistols. I've heard mixed reviews on reliability/parts breaking etc...

I have a number of Star handguns and I'd put reliability fairly high, though I'll preface that by saying spare parts are near unobtainable. Numrich, Sarco, etc' have some odd parts and every once in a while you'll find a part on ebay but overall if something breaks you'll need to have someone made a part for you.

One other thing to keep in mind is that 9mm Largo was a popular caliber in the Star B models. Confirm you're getting a Star B model in 9mm Luger and not Largo when buying.

It's the the later Super B which isn't C&R eligible yet.

I think in 2021 a C&R license will allow purchase of off list C&R pistols in MA from in state FFLs. Can't remember the effective date of the law change in 2014 specific to that.

I am getting my C&R FFL as we speak. I just filled out the paperwork and am getting ready to submit it. I just need to drop it off to my CLEO correct? He doesn't approve it? Thank you all for clarifying that with me, I was surely confused. Sadly we have to be confused because of where we live...yay... :)

I am getting my C&R FFL as we speak. I just filled out the paperwork and am getting ready to submit it. I just need to drop it off to my CLEO correct? He doesn't approve it? Thank you all for clarifying that with me, I was surely confused. Sadly we have to be confused because of where we live...yay... :)

See this thread: EVERY SHOOTER Should Get a C&R FFL!

Back
Top Bottom