Buying ammo in nh (MA res)

Hey everyone.
Friend of mine is comming up from Ma and was wondering what the stipulations are for purchasing ammo in NH if he is a Mass resident? He is 18 years old. He does not have any firearm license. Will he be ok to buy it at any WalMart, etc? I couldn't find any mention of laws on this when browsing NH statutes or searching on here.

Thanks for your input.

Some places near the border may ask for your MA FID/LTC. But as hollewud7 says, there's no legal issue with his purchasing ammo in NH without a MA license. Just not going to be able to buy handgun ammo until he's 21, and of course he doesn't want to bring the ammo back to MA.

tell him not to bother there is no ammo to be had.

Seriously

Most places will sell you ammo no questions asked, if you look underaged they might ask for ID and not sell you handgun ammo, so just tell them it for your AR that is set up to shoot 9mm

But there is not enough ammo around here to bother even bother trying.

I have not bought ammo at a WalMart since December... just none to be had, and when it comes in it is POOF gone, same with my local FFL, it is gone as soon as it hits the floor

Last store bought ammo I bought... 135 bucks for 250 rounds of 9mm JHP OUCH

Last edited:
The Walmarts near the MA/NH line tend to ask for a MA firearms license if you don't have a NH ID, but it totally depends on who rings you up. If it's a sporting goods clerk, forget it. However, if no one is there and you grab someone from the next department over, they may or may not know to ask for ID.

The handgun question is programmed into the checkout process though regardless of who rings you up.

Most places will sell you ammo no questions asked, if you look underaged they might ask for ID and not sell you handgun ammo, so just tell them it for your AR that is set up to shoot 9mm

Bad advice, that's a violation of Federal law.

Thanks for the replys. Oddly enough he tried and was denied for some shotgun shells. He was told that he needs a Mass firearms license for it. So I guess it depends on the stores policy.[angry]

I am from MA and fairly regularly buy ammo in NH because I am up there alot. My experiences have depended on the clerk. When I buy pistol ammo I am sometimes asked if it is for pistol or rifle? From what I can tell it is the computer system that prompts the question. I asked why it mattered and was told you had to be over 18 to purchase pistol ammo. I have also purchased several hundreds rounds of pistol ammo without being asked for anything.

The last time I went (last weekend) was the most interesting. I grabbed a few boxes of 00 buckshot. Typically I make the purchase right at the Sporting Goods counter but there was not a clerk there and I needed to pick a few more items (non-ammo). I have purchased shotgun ammo in the passed and have never been asked for any info. This time though I walked around the store and picked up a few more items and checked out at the front. When the girl saw the ammo she said "Uhhhhhh" them hit abut 22 buttons on the register and followed with another "Uhhhhh, do you have an ID?" I then provided her my MA drivers license assuming she only needed age verification. She then said "I need to ask someone what to do". I decided relaying to her my past experiences was useless and said "OK". She went and convened with another cashier, then a head cashier joined the debate, then another, and another. Finally after 10 minutes! she came back and said "sorry I can't sell this to you" I asked why and she said that they "decided" I needed a license to carry if I was from MA. So I then produced my Class A MA LTC "Oh ok" she said and sold me the ammo.

So the point of this long drawn out story is it all depends who rings you up. I have had better luck at the sporting goods counter but I have found no consistency between stores or within the same store.

I asked why it mattered and was told you had to be over 18 to purchase pistol ammo.

Sort of. Per federal law (18 USC 44 § 922(b)(1)) no FFL can knowingly sell ammunition to anybody under 18, or ammunition for anything other than a shotgun or rifle to anybody under 21.

Every WM in NH I have gone to (Amherst, Derry and Hudson) have all asked to see ID or FID (that was exactly what they said, drivers license or FID). This is a walmart policy, from what I understand it's just to keep them from getting hassled by PD I guess.

I work part time in the electronics dept. in the epping ,n.h. walmart and cover the sporting goods dept. alot, if someone is buying ammo I ask to see I D from anyone buying ammo.If you are from mass. you will need a f.i.d. to buy rifle ammo and ltc to buy handgun ammo. Although you are right about it depending on the clerk,because some don't that mass. is unlike n.h. and they need permits.
Bill

Last edited:
as the others above have stated, many of the border walmarts will ask for MA LTC/FID if you produce a mass license. My friend was able to purchase ammo in NH with just a CT license to prove age.

Back
Top Bottom