• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Buying a longarm out of state

COOLER

NES Member
If a MA resident with an LTC-A buys a longarm out of state from a FFL dealer and passes the NICS but fails to inform MA. buy submitting an FA-10 in seven days is there a penalty?

I believe the 7 days is from the time the firearm enters the state, not the time the transaction was conducted.

Assuming you did not already bring the firearm into this state, you should be ok. File as a reg-only [gritting teeth] using the efa-10 or serialized paper fa-10 form.

I believe the 7 days is from the time the firearm enters the state, not the time the transaction was conducted.

Assuming you did not already bring the firearm into this state, you should be ok. File as a reg-only [gritting teeth] using the efa-10 or serialized paper fa-10 form.

this.

been covered many, many times here. the date on the FA10 is the "date of registration" for your situation, which in my opinion is the date you fill out the form

Thanks for all the input.
Looking at the FA-10 for purposes of registration it asks for the sellers info.
In particular the FFL and State Dealer License Number.
Since the buyer does not receive a copy of the NICS and the receipt does not contain this info what have you filled in when registering an out of state purchase?

Thanks for all the input.
Looking at the FA-10 for purposes of registration it asks for the sellers info.
In particular the FFL and State Dealer License Number.
Since the buyer does not receive a copy of the NICS and the receipt does not contain this info what have you filled in when registering an out of state purchase?

NEVER fill out the seller info on a registration. Ever. Just the gun's info and your info, that's it. The rest is left BLANK.

-Mike

Out of curiosity, how does MA. know if the long arm, sold out of state, was sold by its legal owner?
Say it's a private sale, the buyer is taking the word of the seller that it's his gun.
Does MA. do a serial number search?
Whenever I sell a gun to an individual I always show the buyer my copy of the FA-10 I have either from a dealer or a private person.

Out of curiosity, how does MA. know if the long arm, sold out of state, was sold by its legal owner?
Say it's a private sale, the buyer is taking the word of the seller that it's his gun.
Whenever I sell a gun to an individual I always show the buyer my copy of the FA-10 I have either from a dealer or a private person.

The same way you know the hydraulic log splitter you bought in New Hampshire was owned by the person that sold it to you?

You can't buy long arms private party across state lines without an FFL, can you? The FFL will do whatever diligence is required to make sure the transfer is legal.

In a free state, it doesn't matter.

Last edited:

This whole nostrum is a non starter in any state. FFLs cannot check for stolen guns and the like, it is what it is, whether it is a private or a dealer sale. You have to take the seller on good faith. A previous FA-10 does not prove ownership, either, so don't bother showing it. (it just shows that someone transferred a gun, doesn't mean that the seller owned it legit to begin with).

-Mike

I spoke to the Firearms Record Bureau this morning and was told that the date on the FA-10 for registration purposes has to be the date of purchase, not the date the long arm is brought into MA.
The FA-10 has to be submitted within seven days of the date of purchase.
I explained that I will be in Maine for several weeks and was told that I can either take an FA-10 with me or use a computer to electronically submit the form.
In the event that a person does not have a mobile computer, I was informed that library's have computers.

So In essence if one buys a long gun in vt keeps it at his camp in vt. Never brings it across lines it still has to be registered in ma???[rolleyes][rolleyes][rolleyes]

Last edited:
I spoke to the Firearms Record Bureau this morning and was told that the date on the FA-10 for registration purposes has to be the date of purchase, not the date the long arm is brought into MA.
I explained that I will be in Maine for several weeks and was told that I can either take an FA-10 with me or use a computer to electronically submit the form.
In the event that a person does not have a mobile computer, I was informed that library's have computers.

The FRB is FOS, but it's up to you to decide who is right. The common convention (for years) has been that you need not FA-10 it until it crosses the border into the state. The FRB also advises people who move in to register all their guns, and that isn't required under MGL, either!

-Mike

So In essence if one buys a long gun in vt keeps it at his camp in vt. Never brings it across lines it still has to be registered in ma???

That's what FRB thinks. The people with at least one functioning brain cell believe otherwise- EG, that MA has no ability to regulate an activity which occurs outside its borders.

-Mike

Just passing on what the FRB confirmed to me.
I'm not sure how the FRB could know if the date on the FA-10 for registration is the date of sale or date of entry into MA.
Do they check with the Feds using your license number and serial number of the long arm?

You give them your name?

To be precise, I'm not thinking of breaking any laws.
I'm trying to understand all aspects of the FA-10 pertaining to the registration of a long arm purchased out of state.
There are two definite options as to which date is filled in when submitting to the FRB; the FRB and everyone who replied to this Thread.
As you stated in your reply, the FRB are the people who can have you arrested, so I'm trying to find out the exact definition of the grey area in the law.
However, in answer to your question, no I never give my name and they never asked.

Don't bother, your head will explode. There are times where over-analyzing the law will get you nothing but a headache. This is one of them. BTW for those of us who have read the laws, there is no "gray area" on this one.

-Mike

There's the Law, then there's FRB regulations (authority granted to the FRB by law), then there's FRB written guidance (what actions the FRB will generally accept as compliant), and then there's what some FRB dude told you on the phone (hearsay).

If you read the law it clearly states, "within seven days after receiving such firearm", which may or may not be the "sale date".

http://www.malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section128B

As for what date you put on the form, it states "Date of Sale/Loss/Theft/Registration/Transfer", which for a Registration it seems clear to me that they are asking for the "Date of Registration".

YMMV

Whoever at FRB told you that is patently FOS. If their distortion of the law were true, then anyone who ever owned a firearm in another state and moved to MA more than a week after having received it would be guilty of not reporting it in a timely manner (unless they had the foresight to register it before they ever decided to move to MA). As to an FA10 covering your ass on a sale to an out-of-state party, I've got to wonder just what sort of flags it would raise if you were to leave the recipient section of the form blank or enter the recipient's information with an out-of-state address and no FID or LTC. Get a bill of sale and forget about it.

Ken

Back
Top Bottom