• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Buying a Gun in a Forgien Country

N.E. CHARTERS

Banned
Buying a Gun in a Forgien Country:

What is the Rules regarding buying a gun in a forgien country and bringing it back to the US of A?

Im thinking about a Big Game hunting trip (Kinda had an informal invitaion/work related) and wondering if it would be most profitable to bring a gun with me and sell it or give it away to the guide after the trip. Backsheeseh.

or to buy the proper guns at the destination and leave them there or bring them back.

Whats the suggested rules?

Wondering about having weapons dissapear as they go through customs or the airlines loosing them?

It costs $300 per weapon if you bring them into the country. Maybe I could buy something once I get there cheaper? I have seen all kinds of guns in varity stores in the country. "Beer, Cigs and a Sawed off shotgun please" Most of the "Locals" Carry something. The country has not law against taking a gun out of their country.

I was just checking some hunting Guides webs ites and a lot of the recommend bring 2 shotguns (1,000 shot days! WOW!) and at least one Big Game rifle big enough for water buffalo, wild pigs and cats and another for deer. A good backup pistol is recommended.

Shit thats $1,500 tax just to bring the guns across the boarder.

Typical Field Lunch: Bar B que, Beer and Wine and then back to more shooting. This almost sounds like TEXAS!

Last edited:
Why would you give your gun away and how would that be most profitable?

Everything depends on the country you are going to. As far as bringing one back, check the BATFE regs on importation.

B

IANAL, but you may need to go through a proper importer to bring it back. Have you considered renting something? Talk to the guide and see what other people usually do.

Not sure where you are going but I had a friend that went to Argentina on a trip that sounds similar to yours. He was allowed to bring either 2 or 3 firearms in. I think the fee was $100 per gun. He brought an .30-06 and his shotgun. He rented a second shotgun and bought all his shotgun ammo there.

As for bringing a firearms back I looked into doing that when I was in Spain and it was a major PITA. Ended up not doing it as it was such a hassle. Needed to find an importer, pay the fees, fill out the paperwork etc.

IANAL, but you may need to go through a proper importer to bring it back. Have you considered renting something? Talk to the guide and see what other people usually do.

I think BATFE has a customs form that easily lets you
bring your own guns in and out of the US.... it's bringing
stuff back that you did not already own which is the pain in the ass.

This is of course, ignoring any issues of the destination
country one is headed to. Responses on the other
end will range from minor to major hassles, or in some parts
of the third world, zero hassle, provided that a bribe of the
right amount is proffered to the appropriate person. [laugh]

-Mike

I think BATFE has a customs form that easily lets you
bring your own guns in and out of the US....
It is merely a US Customs & Border Protection form. BATFE has nothing to do with it. And it isn't just for guns, it is for establishing ownership of any valuable, dutieable object that you leave the country with to prevent having to pay duty on it on return to the country.

It is merely a US Customs & Border Protection form. BATFE has nothing to do with it. And it isn't just for guns, it is for establishing ownership of any valuable, dutieable object that you leave the country with to prevent having to pay duty on it on return to the country.

You are right- it's a US Customs 4457.

There is, however, a Form 6, and a Form6NIA, or something to
that effect, which is a BATFE form required to -import- guns into
the US, even if only for temporary use.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom