• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Buying a firearm online?

There's a firearm (specifically here) that I'd like to buy off another member.

Member has very few posts but I've been looking for this gun for a good price for a little while.

Being 2 hours away I've decided to have it sent to a FFL.

Any advice for a first timer on purchasing online? What to look for/stay away from?

He hasn't given instructions yet, but I'd hate to send the cash and get burned.

Hopefully I don't get flamed for this thread....

ask for a three day, non firing inspection period.

Beyond that, every type of gun has different things to look out for. Checking a 1911, versus a Glock, versus a revolver, versus an AR, mosin etc etc etc.

What type of gun are you looking at getting?

Unless someone can vouch for the seller, either someone you know or a respected member here, you have two choices. Don't buy the gun or, go the 2 hours and look it over in hand.

Generally, ask how old it is - how many owners - any modifications - was it carried. And the good old, why are you selling. You can gauge a good bit by how the seller answers and deals with these questions, right off the bat.

Once you get it, field strip it, look for damage, wear or other signs of tampering. Look at the barrel for bulges. Fire control parts for DIY work. Do a function check. Rack the slide, everything look, sound and feel right? Throw an empty mag in there, rack slide - does it lock back? Slide stop work? Pull trigger, how does it feel - do you like it.

Buying things sight unseen is always a gamble. Try to get a no strings inspection period. Beyond that, there is only so much you can do.

Back
Top Bottom