• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Buying a 10/22 at Dick's at 8:15PM

So I'm racing to Dick's after coaching Little League, trying to get there at least an hour before closing at 9pm - just to be safe. I really wanted to pick up a Ruger 10/22 I had on hold so I could bring it up to Vermont this weekend and shoot it in the woods (you can literally go on a trail in Vermont and start shooting in the woods - how crazy is that?!)

I rush to the back and just happen to arrive at the "Lodge" counter as the saleman does. I asked him about the Ruger I had called about earlier and had put on hold. I said I was here to buy it.

The guy looks down at his cell phone as says, "What time is it, oh, man 8:20. We need at least an hour to do the paperwork" What1? I was pretty shocked (1 hour!!) but I figured this is Dick's, what do you expect with a big box store? They probably have twenty different papers for me to sign and it sucks majorly when you buy a gun from there. But the Rugers they had were $30 less than a local shop (sorry!) and $30 is a tank of gas to VT.

I didn't really put up a fight with the guy and just figured I'd come back tomorrow. I grabbed a box of ammo and headed up to the register, pretty bummed that I'd have to go back tomorrow.

I get up to the cashier and she asked me if I found everything I wanted today. "Well, kinda-sorta," I tell her. Showing her the box of ammo I said, "I found this, but I really wanted to purchase the gun I had on hold but I guess it takes Dick's an hour to do the paperwork or something."

Then the woman I was talking to instantly turns into super awesome lady, gets on the phone and dials up the Lodge. "Did you just tell a gentlemen that we can't sell guns after a certain hour? Uh huh. Right. Okay, he's coming back there right now."

So here's this wanker pulling a fast one on me and this personable, friendly manager-type saving me a trip back to Dick's. The dude who tried to make me leave kinda felt like an ass, it took us 25 minutes to do the paperwork, super-awesome lady (who scolded the salesman for trying to pass on a decent sale) saved the day, and I have a new gun to add to my collection and shoot the crap out of in Vermont.

The day couldn't have ended any better....unless, of course, I bought two guns [smile]

Nice job! I work at Dicks and would absolutely sell you a gun anytime before closing. To hell with that shit. Would I like it if you showed up at 8:55? Hell no, but you'd never know it. I might have some thought bubbles going, or talk to myself about what an asshat you are while I'm looking for your box in the gun locker, but I'd still treat you right. My customer service is open as long as the store is. Plus, I love selling guns...[wink] Showing up at 8:20 is no big deal - shit, I'd offer you coffee and the reaction of the FEC was spot on. Glad you got your 10/22 and hope the Lodge Associate locked his keys in the gun room...[grin]

Sounds like somebody didn't want to do their job. What fool refuses a sale nowadays?

"Hi, I'd like to give you money for that item."
"No, sorry, I don't have the time."

Did our currency collapse already? [wink]

Nice job! I work at Dicks and would absolutely sell you a gun anytime before closing. To hell with that shit. Would I like it if you showed up at 8:55? Hell no, but you'd never know it. I might have some thought bubbles going, or talk to myself about what an asshat you are while I'm looking for your box in the gun locker, but I'd still treat you right. My customer service is open as long as the store is. Plus, I love selling guns...[wink] Showing up at 8:20 is no big deal - shit, I'd offer you coffee and the reaction of the FEC was spot on. Glad you got your 10/22 and hope the Lodge Associate locked his keys in the gun room...[grin]

You offer coffee? What Dicks are you at again? [grin]

Haha I was trying to get their as quick as I could so I wouldn't be that guy! I understand him wanting to go (we've all been there) but it was only 8:20. I would figure by the time I'm done with this here sale I'm finished for the night! Instead he prolonged it [laugh].

But I was very happy with the woman who helped me out. She wasn't letting me leave without it.

FYI - this was the Millbury Dick's. I've been there a bunch for ammo and never had a hold up.

Note to self- If I'm ever going to buy a gun at Dicks, I'll make sure to drive to the Pittsfield oe when MassMark is on duty. [laugh]

-Mike

Pittsfield...And yes, if anyone buying a gun wanted a coffee, I'd absolutely grab you one - either from the break room, or I have a Panera gift card with a balance...[wink]

Now your talking.

It would be great: here's you rifle and your coffee.

Look, the way I see it - the paperwork is a bitch - especially since tou have to do it twice: Once for the feds once for the nanny state. The MIRCS was supposed to make things quicker, but it hasn't. I could fill out an FA-10 in my sleep, but that damned MIRCS freezes up, won't recognize fingerprints and beyond. Then, you have the double layer of having your paperwork checked at the door, which can be a hassle if the store is busy. I try everything I can to get people out as quickly as possible and if a cup of Joe will make things easier, it's worth my time or my dime. In the end I could care less whether or not DSG sells a gun - what I care about is the person buying it goes away with some sense of satisfaction...

Question why does it take 25+ minutes to do a gun transfer, I use 100 % electronic paper work E-FORM E-CHECK MIRCS and it takes me about 5 - 10 min and thats with customers talking to me and answering the phone. what does dicks do different than other dealers.

They have two separate forms for internal use including one that has to be signed by the sales associate, the manager, and the cashier.

I once suggested he (the associate) could process the paperwork and I'd be back in an hour, but he did not go along with it. I was NOT offered coffee. [angry] grrrrrr

I've bought one gun there; gun is fine, process was a hassle.

Also some ammo, thanks to one of the associates that posts here (nickortizzle?) reminding me Dick's carries ammo! [laugh] (needed for the appleseed). That purchase was quick and painless. Actually, NEARLY as painless as in NH.

i actually got the same treatment one night when i was trying to buy a gun around 7:00 i think. it wasn't that the store was closing, it was that it was "late" and "they" like to give people "trouble" for buying guns "at night".

i was like "ooooooooooooookay..." and i went back when that person wasn't working and bought my gun. the funny part is that i was also trying to buy a 10/22! because of the delay i ended up with the wood one and not the synthetic stock that i wanted. life goes on i guess--either way i got my gun.

Look, the way I see it - the paperwork is a bitch - especially since tou have to do it twice: Once for the feds once for the nanny state. The MIRCS was supposed to make things quicker, but it hasn't. I could fill out an FA-10 in my sleep, but that damned MIRCS freezes up, won't recognize fingerprints and beyond. Then, you have the double layer of having your paperwork checked at the door, which can be a hassle if the store is busy. I try everything I can to get people out as quickly as possible and if a cup of Joe will make things easier, it's worth my time or my dime. In the end I could care less whether or not DSG sells a gun - what I care about is the person buying it goes away with some sense of satisfaction...

You're the man! I wish you helped me out right away Mark.

Question why does it take 25+ minutes to do a gun transfer, I use 100 % electronic paper work E-FORM E-CHECK MIRCS and it takes me about 5 - 10 min and thats with customers talking to me and answering the phone. what does dicks do different than other dealers.

The guy at the counter was sorta slow, but factor in the other manager guy that kept hovering around and signing all these papers and double checking the salesman's work, it adds up [laugh]

Why can't every gun store have a MassMark? Every time I walk into a shop I am treated like a leper, because I'm under 50 years old and not on a first name basis with the owner.

Congrats on the new gun 10/22's are tons of fun.

I bought one at dick's last night. The gentleman was very nice. He handled the sale in a very timely fashion and made sure I had everything I wanted before he referred me to the front counter. This was at the Dartmouth, Ma location. I guess it just depends on who you get. [smile]

There's extra paperwork, (not a lot - just a trigger lock acknowledgment and a paperwork tracking form) and the entire package, (MIRCS and 4473) have to be reviewed by a manager before it leaves the store. I have made it my mission to get folks out as quickly as possible (15-minutes is my record), but if there's a line, there's a line....

I've found Dicks might be a pretty good place to buy a few guns.....

went in a month ago to buy a remington 700 in .308 On sale for $499 had cash to buy it but saw the Dicks reward/credit card thing Got the card, got $10 off my purchase that day plus a $10 same as cash coupon later so got a Rem 700 w/scope for $489 with another $10 back for ammo later. Got the $10 coupon a while back as well as a Score Card coupon for $15 off $50 dollar purchase So, I went in bought 3 boxes of .38 special 1 box of .38 special in hollow points and a box of .308 for $65 ( the girl let me use both coupon, which I dont think is supposed to happen ) Today I got my "dicks rewards" coupon for the puchase of the Rem 700 $40! going to pick up a 10/22 myself!

so I getting a Rem 700 in .308, a Ruger 10/22, 3 boxes of .38 special ( remington stuff ) 1 box of Fed .38 sps hollow points and a box of .308 ( winchester stuff ) for just over $700

I bought my 10/22 at Dicks with a $10 off coupon for a total of $189. Then I had it made into a Liberty Training rifle with

tech sights
swing swivels and sling
extended mag release
windage knob

and I couldn't resist a trigger job

Lets just say I came close to doubling the price but this thing is sweet and I can't wait for the May 31 Appleseed.

If you're in the Pittsfield DSG, ask MassMark to show you the special order book.

[grin]

It's impressive what they can get you. Dicks does require the $$ up front to do the order. I got a lefty Savage in about 10 days from paying to walking out the door.

Do you guys work on commission?
If so, when we go to visit family in upstate NY we could stop in...since we keep "having" to buy stuff [wink]

I wish - we're all hourly. Actually, I'm kind of glad we don't work on commission. It keeps folks interested in customer service - rather than pushing someone into buying a gun, or kayak, or boat and making a buck...For a part-timer, I'm paid pretty well....

I bought my 10/22 at Dicks with a $10 off coupon for a total of $189. Then I had it made into a Liberty Training rifle with

tech sights
swing swivels and sling
extended mag release
windage knob

and I couldn't resist a trigger job

Lets just say I came close to doubling the price but this thing is sweet and I can't wait for the May 31 Appleseed.

That's exactly what I plan to do with mine. I'll tuck a little cash away next paycheck and hook it up!

Actually, I think I got a newer model Ruger because it has the extended mag release. So much easier.

Back
Top Bottom