"Building" an AR in .308

Decision made. I chose a Griffin Armament Flash Comp 762. From all I've seen and read, it has a good combination of recoil / flash suppression without being obnoxiously loud as some other brakes are.

aimsurplus.com had it in-stock (OOS / no back orders elsewhere(s)) for $94.95 with no tax and free shipping.

So now I wait for the last parts to trickle in... upper receiver and gas block are backordered at Brownells. I wonder how long? Would you cancel and re-order from someone who has them in-stock? Or wait?

AIM has NiB 308 BCGs - for slab slide uppers, no forward assist.
http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XAIMBCG308NIBBDG

Cooley comp is highly regarded.

That Cooley comp really does look great. But everything I've read about it, the Miculek brake and others like it, are that they're LOUD.

Yeah, I know a gun range is no place to complain about noise, but to me the noise is more jarring than any felt recoil. Since my wife is new, and I'd like to bring others to the range, I'd rather not have them leave with bleeding eardrums. Most all accounts I've read say some of these other compensators (battlecomp, etc.) have a good blend of performance across multiple areas (muzzle rise, flash suppression, noise concussion). A threaded muzzle protector would be quieter, but I wanted "something" on this threaded barrel.

That Cooley comp really does look great. But everything I've read about it, the Miculek brake and others like it, are that they're LOUD.

Yeah, I know a gun range is no place to complain about noise, but to me the noise is more jarring than any felt recoil. Since my wife is new, and I'd like to bring others to the range, I'd rather not have them leave with bleeding eardrums. Most all accounts I've read say some of these other compensators (battlecomp, etc.) have a good blend of performance across multiple areas (muzzle rise, flash suppression, noise concussion). A threaded muzzle protector would be quieter, but I wanted "something" on this threaded barrel.

Effective comps are loud and concussive. Effective 308 comps are REALLY load and concussive.

I hear you, and I sympathize. My HK91 is ****ing LOUD at the range. Louder than mosins or garands, IMO. But any good comp will be loud and depending on what comp and where your friends are standing, they may get a compression thump in the chest/head that can be unpleasant.

Just some unsolicited advice, so take it for whats it worth, you sure you want to start your wife out putting her behind or near an AR10? You may end up in the exact opposite place you hope to.

Effective comps are loud and concussive. Effective 308 comps are REALLY load and concussive.

Annoying the people on either side of you (at the range) is just 'bonus points' for owning an effective comp on a firearm. I'm going to get the loudest, most effective, comp for my AR10 when I get to that point... [smile]

Just some unsolicited advice, so take it for whats it worth, you sure you want to start your wife out putting her behind or near an AR10? You may end up in the exact opposite place you hope to.

Pistols first. She likes her .380 Sig P238. The only rifle she's shot thus far is a 10/22. I'll introduce her to my AR-15 (no muzzle device) before she sees/hears/tries the .308. She was with me when there was a guy shooting his M&P10 last week, and flinched every time he touched it off.

Our range has indoor shoot houses, shooting at outdoor targets. He may just not have had his muzzle all the way out the window.

Mail just arrived with BCG, and armorer's wrench (Wow is this thing well-made!).

Really just waiting on the assembled upper so I can start putting things together.

Any of you guys with with "natural" finish on your lower? maybe just a clear coat of something, instead of getting it anodized black?

Last edited:
Check out this...

Know of any rattlecan options? If I need to buy a low-pressure air compressor to complete the build, my wife will shove it up my butt and turn me into a balloon. (I have a 'garage' tank compressor, but don't have regulators, paint guns, etc.)

In a perfect world, I'd have the lower, upper, and handguard (minus all the rails and the 'inside' of the tube which I'd leave black) and scope mount all ceracoated Magpul FDE.

Oh, yeah, now I need an FDE Ergo grip... Have a black one on my AR15 and really like it vs this hard plastic thing that came in the .308 lpk

Last edited:
Does this look properly staked to you?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1396638766455.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1396638766455.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 44
  • uploadfromtaptalk1396638784751.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1396638784751.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 48
Does this look properly staked to you?

Hard to tell at an angle like that, but I'd lean more to the "not quite" side. All you need is to deform the metal to where the bolt won't back out -- it doesn't have to look like Lizzie Borden went off on it with a hatchet. I think we are used to seeing "over-staked" BCGs often so we expect to see huge deformations in the metal and bolt. If the metal is deformed in the gas key enough to contact the bolts when looking straight down, you're OK..

Touching? Yes. Barely...

I just used a sharp metal object (ok, wife's kitchen scissors) to 'score' the heads of the screws and the gas key. If either screw starts to 'back out' I'll know, as the score marks won't line up.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1396642348913.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1396642348913.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Yeah, brownell's shows the receiver and gas block in-stock, but I haven't seen a shipping notice. I emailed them for an eta. Hoping to have everything within the week.

looking to order headspace gauges today. i have a 308 mega barrel. is itbetter to get 308 gauge vs 762nato gauge? is there really a big diff?

looking to order headspace gauges today. i have a 308 mega barrel. is itbetter to get 308 gauge vs 762nato gauge? is there really a big diff?

What's the barrel chambered in? If it's chambered in .308 Winchester, get those gauges. You can shoot 7.62 Nato in a .308 Winchester barrel, but not .308 Winchester in a 7.62 Nato barrel (opposite of the AR15).

I'll be looking to get a .308 Winchester chambered barrel when it comes time.

What's the barrel chambered in? If it's chambered in .308 Winchester, get those gauges. You can shoot 7.62 Nato in a .308 Winchester barrel, but not .308 Winchester in a 7.62 Nato barrel (opposite of the AR15).

I'll be looking to get a .308 Winchester chambered barrel when it comes time.

It's chambered in 308. Google search had results saying either would be fine. I'll order the 308 gauges

Was just about to order these then saw the bolt was marked 7.62x51. Does this make any difference? Stick with 308 gauges?

Was just about to order these then saw the bolt was marked 7.62x51. Does this make any difference? Stick with 308 gauges?

Where's the bolt from? Link?

I would imagine it's fine - it's really the barrel that's the big decider here. I can't imagine the bolt face on the NATO bolt would be different from the 308, but don't take my word for it.

Subscribed.... Just started my first .308 build so I'm curious to see what other people end up doing. What I've ordered so far:

Rainier Arms Receiver Set
Brownells branded 20" 1x10 rifle length barrel
Fulton Armory BCG (NiB)
DPMS LPK (on its way)
RRA 2 stage NM trigger (on its way)

IMG_0597_zps6606c222.jpg

IMG_0598_zpsf9f025ef.jpg

Subscribed.... Just started my first .308 build so I'm curious to see what other people end up doing. What I've ordered so far:

Rainier Arms Receiver Set
Brownells branded 20" 1x10 rifle length barrel
Fulton Armory BCG (NiB)
DPMS LPK (on its way)
RRA 2 stage NM trigger (on its way)

IMG_0597_zps6606c222.jpg

IMG_0598_zpsf9f025ef.jpg

done yet? put any thought into handguards yet?

Back
Top Bottom