"Building" an AR in .308

JCV

NES Member
Gonna be using a QD .308 lower. It' compatible with DPMS style upper receivers, Pmags, DPMS style mags and SR-25 mags. (no idea what any of those are except the pmags.) I'm a newb to this .308 AR stuff and not sure on the different variations yet.

I do know I have read mixed reviews on DPMS branded parts. Are they a mfg I should avoid?
Time to start looking into what I need and collecting everything. Bring on the fun!

Barrels are the main thing I'd not use from then.I've heard mix reviews on the barrels from them. Don't know about there bcg. The rest of there ar parts are like most other company's in the price range.

I think Al's mini ar used there lpk. Trigger wasn't bad , better then my rra .

I think I want an 18" barrel, maybe 20". I am pretty sure I want a mid length gas system. I know I can have this on an 18" bbl, not sure about a 20".

I'll look at your build thread China.

I can use an AR15 rifle stock and buffer assembly?

Yes, just keep in mind that the charging handle will come back a bit further so if you have a cheek riser or something like that you may need to mess with it. That's why Magpul makes a .308 specific PRS stock - the cheek riser is like half an inch further back than the .223 version, other than that they're identical.

I can use an AR15 rifle stock and buffer assembly?

From what dropride told us (ninemilshooter, and I) it's a different buffer and spring that will go into your standard mil-spec buffer tube.

One of the stocks I'm getting via the MagPul group buy will be destined for my AR10. Which one doesn't matter much right now. Especially since I'll be able to swap them out until I decide. Bonus item due to not having to pin the bastards. [laugh]

I got a rainier 16" barrel for mine. the first one they sent me was a mess. The replacement was in much better shape.
Going with a AP Custom carbon fiber handguard. Still haven't decided on a bolt. I was thinking of getting a JP, but that is a lot of money just for a light weight bcg. Might just have mine milled down

I got a rainier 16" barrel for mine. the first one they sent me was a mess. The replacement was in much better shape.
Going with a AP Custom carbon fiber handguard. Still haven't decided on a bolt. I was thinking of getting a JP, but that is a lot of money just for a light weight bcg. Might just have mine milled down

Yeah I'm not sure I would spend what they're asking for their bcg either.
Post up what you decide on though.
Sounds like you're going for a real lightweight build though. Have you decided on a stock or optics?

Why would you want to make the BCG lighter??

I'm probably just going to go with a tube handguard on mine, with a bipod mount on it. Not sure how many months this rifle will be in the making though. I would like to have it done this year. Or before next fall arrives.

Yeah I'm not sure I would spend what they're asking for their bcg either.
Post up what you decide on though.
Sounds like you're going for a real lightweight build though. Have you decided on a stock or optics?

Using a Ace stock. not sure what optic I will use, probably a aimpoint micro and swap that back and forth with a Vortex razr 1-6

Why would you want to make the BCG lighter??

Faster follow up shot due to reduced reciprocating mass

I'm probably just going to go with a tube handguard on mine, with a bipod mount on it. Not sure how many months this rifle will be in the making though. I would like to have it done this year. Or before next fall arrives.

Same here , on all counts.
If I don't go with a tube hand guard it will be a Midwest Industries SS series for the .308

Same here , on all counts.
If I don't go with a tube hand guard it will be a Midwest Industries SS series for the .308

Oh HELL YEAH!! lol

I got to fondle their 12" version on Sunday at SO (though the packaging so not much of a fondle)... Sealed the deal for me to get one for my 300 Blk rifle. Now I'm going to have to look at their AR10 version. Or is it the same as the AR15 version??

Supermoto said:
Faster follow up shot due to reduced reciprocating mass

I'll probably try the rifle out first. Then, IF I need to either get a lighter BCG, or alter the one I have, I'll do that. Not anticipating rapid fire with the AR10 at range (over 300 yards).

Why not just use a slightly lighter buffer?
That makes more sense, IMO...

I haven't seen one. On my ar15, I use a lightweight carrier and a tiny little plastic buffer

Crack it open and remove or swap out some of the weights, or use a buffer from a .223 maybe? I have no idea if either option would work in practice, but if it did it would be a lot cheaper.

Oh HELL YEAH!! lol

I got to fondle their 12" version on Sunday at SO (though the packaging so not much of a fondle)... Sealed the deal for me to get one for my 300 Blk rifle. Now I'm going to have to look at their AR10 version. Or is it the same as the AR15 version??

Looks to be the same to me.
I don't think it can be ordered until an upper is in hand or decided on though because of the "tang"......

I was looking into this and I saw that several people recommended against using the expensive flat ground springs. Anyone have any first hand info on this. I used the HeavyBuffer Co spring in my 15 and it stopped the cheese grater noise. I was happy. Was looking to use it in the 308 version.

Back
Top Bottom