Building a Gun Range on your own property

Church o' Broccoli, I think there's a very good reason why all of the clubs that I've belonged to have their outdoor ranges closed during hunting season... I think that the hunting regulations overshadow the rules during the season.

wow, you should find a new club. Hunting season is almost 8 months out of the year (including all seasons) i never heard of any gun club closing. But i only hang out around south shore clubs. Maybe someone else where they ahve long range clubs might be different.

by the way, that post i wrote earlier was a joke.

Church o' Broccoli, I think there's a very good reason why all of the clubs that I've belonged to have their outdoor ranges closed during hunting season... I think that the hunting regulations overshadow the rules during the season.

Both the clubs I'm a member of have very specific "do not shoot any animals while on club property. Violation is grounds for expulsion." rules.

Our outdoor range does not close during hunting season. If someone violates hunting laws, they'll be in a world of legal hurt.

That's interesting... I've been members of 3 clubs near Springfield, and all 3 of them post signs saying that all outdoor ranges are closed during shotgun season, except for on Sundays (when hunting is prohibited).

ETA: Springfield Sportsmans Club, Monson.

The other 2 clubs don't list the restriction on their websites.

Last edited:
That would be so wrong and would get you in big trouble. Let's start with hunting within 500 feet of your neighbors house. Shooting within 150 feet of a road while hunting. Failure to wear orange during deer season. Your neighbor would love that to happen now right.

...What constitures a range? a table, a backstop and some signs?

I was wondering that too. Probably a dugout area ("pit"), or berms, with target stands and a firing area with benches or rests. After reading some more posts, adding some signs is a good idea.

(-:

so, according to what you guys are saying, i could set up a "range" (table and target) near my neighbors house (but in my property) just where there happens to be a deer trail, and if a deer happens to walk by (while im sitting still on my table "sighting my gun") i can shoot it. so technically i could hunt deer, wihtout hunting. He just happened to walk by my "private range", lol and wouldnt have to worry about the 150' or 500' rule.

ps: I wont do this.

Worcester Pistol and Rifle club used to have a woodchuck who lived right behind the pistol range. He was there for quite a while. Must have been the luckiest rodent alive!

Last edited:
Both the clubs I'm a member of have very specific "do not shoot any animals while on club property. Violation is grounds for expulsion." rules.

Worcester Pistol and Rifle club used to have a woodchuck who lived right behind the pistol range. He was there for quite a while. Must have been the luckiest rodent alive!

There's a similar woodchuck at No Leominster. I saw it one day, as did the range director. He told me he'd turn around while I did the deed, if I wanted.

That's interesting... I've been members of 3 clubs near Springfield, and all 3 of them post signs saying that all outdoor ranges are closed during shotgun season, except for on Sundays (when hunting is prohibited).

ETA: Springfield Sportsmans Club, Monson.

The other 2 clubs don't list the restriction on their websites.

Could the reason for the closing be more about fear of spooking game?

I suppose it depends on how close the ranges are to huntable land.

you know I think getting a big shipping crate, like ones from lord of war that he had his business set up in. that'd be indoors, could muffle the sound, and the pretty safe/easy to set up a backstop. echo would be a bitch though

you know I think getting a big shipping crate, like ones from lord of war that he had his business set up in. that'd be indoors, could muffle the sound, and the pretty safe/easy to set up a backstop. echo would be a bitch though

Why not line it with fire-retardant acoustic foam?

Back
Top Bottom