Building a Gun Range on your own property

Does anyone know if there is a law against this? I'm looking for real facts. I know that the hunting laws say that you must be xxx amount away from a street and xxx amount away from a house. Now this I question for ranges as there are some that are right on the street like in Rutland Ma. and others that border streets and houses like in Leicester Ma. Can anyone shed any light on this subject. Again I am looking for real facts here. A friend on mine is planning on building a range for personal use on his property. I may also do the same on mine. There are four of us now with hangun permits and we need a place real close by to practice.

I'm assuming he means MA since he's talking about towns. I'd imagine as long as your x away from houses and x away from the streets you might be able to do it until the PD has an issue with it (or neighbor) but IANAL

Mass law has a specific exemption to the 500' rule for bona-fide ranges and indoor ranges. Which is to say, it's legal.

Having said this, you damn well better have good baffles, backstops, etc. or the law won't matter, if the neighborhood weenies decide they don't like what you're doing, they'll make your life hell if you can't prove that your range is legitimate.

Why do you need somewhere "real close"? Thought about joining a club?

Technically legal...

M.G.L. c.269 s.12E

Whoever discharges a firearm as defined in section one hundred and twenty-one of chapter one hundred and forty, a rifle or shotgun within five hundred feet of a dwelling or other building in use, except with the consent of the owner or legal occupant thereof, shall be punished by a fine of not less than fifty nor more than one hundred dollars or by imprisonment in a jail or house of correction for not more than three months, or both. The provisions of this section shall not apply to

(a) the lawful defense of life and property;
(b) any law enforcement officer acting in the discharge of his duties;
(c) persons using underground or indoor target or test ranges with the consent of the owner or legal occupant thereof;
(d) persons using outdoor skeet, trap, target or test ranges with the consent of the owner or legal occupant of the land on which the range is established;
(e) persons using shooting galleries, licensed and defined under the provisions of section fifty-six A of chapter one hundred and forty; and
(f) the discharge of blank cartridges for theatrical, athletic, ceremonial, firing squad, or other purposes in accordance with section thirty-nine of chapter one hundred and forty-eight.

...also subject to any municipal ordinances (discharge of firearms, noise, etc.)

Make very nice-nice with your neighbors... that doesn't just mean the next-door neighbors, but all of them within the sound of your rifles!

i have allways wanted to dig out a big portion of my yard and make my own underground 50ft range the sad thing is i havent hit the mega millions yet so thats not happening.

"(c) persons using underground or indoor target or test ranges with the consent of the owner or legal occupant thereof;"
How deep is a legal underground? My basement has 2 small awning windows at eye level, the floor being about 5' below grade.

Also, Lowell has this ordinance:
"§ 222-3. Firearms.
A. No person shall fire or discharge any gun, pistol or other firearm within the City, provided that this section shall not apply to the use of such weapons at any military exercise, review or funeral, or in the lawful defense of the person, family or property of any citizen."
Does the city ordinance trump the state law?

"(c) persons using underground or indoor target or test ranges with the consent of the owner or legal occupant thereof;"
How deep is a legal underground? My basement has 2 small awning windows at eye level, the floor being about 5' below grade.

Also, Lowell has this ordinance:
"§ 222-3. Firearms.
A. No person shall fire or discharge any gun, pistol or other firearm within the City, provided that this section shall not apply to the use of such weapons at any military exercise, review or funeral, or in the lawful defense of the person, family or property of any citizen."
Does the city ordinance trump the state law?

In MA, cities/towns can add as many additional restrictions on our behavior as they can think of.

I have a range I built for .22 it's 150 ft from the road (wood backstop and target trap filled with rubber landscape material). The 500ft rule does not matter as there is an exception for a formal range setup. If there is a town ordinance against it you are screwed. My pd suggested calling them before shooting to prevent needless visits.....I only shoot .22 and use CCI SV so the road noise is louder than the shooting.

I am in a generally gun friendly rural area....YMMV (especially as you go east).

not to hijack the thread, more to open it up...

how about in NH, lets say I wanted to build a small indoor range (15 yards we'll say) for me and my friends to use, and maybe to teach the range portion of a class.
does using it for business use (teaching a basic pistol class) change the laws even if the range itself is not a business?

I took my class to get my LTC with a person that had a 7 yard range in his basement. He said that it is legal but involved zoning and the correct venting, soundproofing and lead protection for the floor above it. He is using it for business so I'm not sure if it was easier for him to get approval. This is in a red town about 20 min. outside of boston.

not to hijack the thread, more to open it up...

how about in NH, lets say I wanted to build a small indoor range (15 yards we'll say) for me and my friends to use, and maybe to teach the range portion of a class.
does using it for business use (teaching a basic pistol class) change the laws even if the range itself is not a business?

Zoning, plus all the OSHA (workplace safety, etc) BS, at the very least.

I called my local police station after I got my license. Basically, you'll need a few acres to shoot on your own property. Make sure you have a good enough back stop for the bullets too. Your neighbors may complain but as long as you are X feet away from a house and street you're good.

I will try to answer all the replies here. Yes this is in Ma. There are no zoning laws prohibiting a personal gun range. A business related range would be against the law here as it is zoned residential/farming. The information in this post is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you very much for it. As for joining a club. I don't have the time to dedicate to one like they would like nor to take the time driving back and forth to one. I use to belong to Hamilton R&G in Sturbridge, Ma. I spent many days there shooting for 3 - 4 hours a day at least every few weeks or better. I had many police visits at the range due to the new neighborhood beyond there complaining about all the shooting going on. The police would just stop in to see who was shooting (only me) and what I was shooting. Hell I was only shooting bolt actions. My friend and I thought the Leicester range was closer to the road than that. Thanks for straightening that out. I will inform him tomorrow at work. I believe he is a member there still. I know the Rutland range is damn near in the road and much too close for my likings to the road. My thoughts were for building this about 100 feet from the road, shooting parallel with the road into a man made banking as a back stop. I have plenty of room for a 200 yard rifle range here if I snip a few trees in the line of sight. I could also build a 50 foot pistol range going away from the road without any problem and have another man made hill at the end for a stop. I guess the next thing is to talk with my local chief to see what he thinks just in case he has a problem with it.

Technically legal...

...also subject to any municipal ordinances (discharge of firearms, noise, etc.)

i have allways wanted to dig out a big portion of my yard and make my own underground 50ft range the sad thing is i havent hit the mega millions yet so thats not happening.

This would cost a lot less than a million

In NH you have to be outside of a heavily populated area...such as a downtown. They have a name for the zone but I can't recall what it is. Your PD can explain that better. Other than that if it is a personal range a quick ok by the PD and you should be good to go.

In Mass if you allow people to use your land for sporting purposes without a fee you have no liability, I'm sure with some limits. That particularly pertains to hunting and fishing access but extends outward. The people using your property can't sue you but anyone hurt by their actions might be able to. I'd say you had some exposure for the downrange disposition of stray bullets.

I've shot trap on my friend's farm in Hubbardston which is pretty much within view of the town hall. His brother-in-law shoots rifles off his back deck a little ways down the road.

IIRC the trap range at the Auburn Sportsman's Club is almost on the road.

I will try to answer all the replies here. Yes this is in Ma. There are no zoning laws prohibiting a personal gun range. A business related range would be against the law here as it is zoned residential/farming. The information in this post is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you very much for it. As for joining a club. I don't have the time to dedicate to one like they would like nor to take the time driving back and forth to one. I use to belong to Hamilton R&G in Sturbridge, Ma. I spent many days there shooting for 3 - 4 hours a day at least every few weeks or better. I had many police visits at the range due to the new neighborhood beyond there complaining about all the shooting going on. The police would just stop in to see who was shooting (only me) and what I was shooting. Hell I was only shooting bolt actions. My friend and I thought the Leicester range was closer to the road than that. Thanks for straightening that out. I will inform him tomorrow at work. I believe he is a member there still. I know the Rutland range is damn near in the road and much too close for my likings to the road. My thoughts were for building this about 100 feet from the road, shooting parallel with the road into a man made banking as a back stop. I have plenty of room for a 200 yard rifle range here if I snip a few trees in the line of sight. I could also build a 50 foot pistol range going away from the road without any problem and have another man made hill at the end for a stop. I guess the next thing is to talk with my local chief to see what he thinks just in case he has a problem with it.

Ahh yes, good old Hamilton R&G... had many a police visit during my membership there. Most times like you, I was all by myself.

It's pretty sad when you cannot shoot more than a handfull or rounds down range before the police show up to look over your weapons. They were always nice, but still... come on!

Keep in mind for indoor ranges (basements mainly) what it will do to resell value of your home. Lead contamination would be pretty pricey to deal with if you ever sell your home. Even if you live there for the rest of your life, your estate will have to deal with it.

Our old headquarters had a nice indoor range, the whole building was coated in lead residue from years of shooting indoors. They ended up tearing it down in stead of remediation.

I took my class to get my LTC with a person that had a 7 yard range in his basement. He said that it is legal but involved zoning and the correct venting, soundproofing and lead protection for the floor above it. He is using it for business so I'm not sure if it was easier for him to get approval. This is in a red town about 20 min. outside of boston.

I did my class with the same person. Nice setup he has.

It is legal to shoot in your basement, providing your basement is in fact, underground. From street footage is not applicable to underground! Eastern rifle and revolver in Lynn borders a playground, and its front door is right at a busy intersection of walnut street, with a house to the left separated by a driveway.

It is legal to shoot in your basement, providing your basement is in fact, underground. From street footage is not applicable to underground! Eastern rifle and revolver in Lynn borders a playground, and its front door is right at a busy intersection of walnut street, with a house to the left separated by a driveway.

What if you're like almost every other person in the world, and the basement in your house isn't 100% underground? ie...the top foot or so is usually above ground, with windows and whatnot.

That's where the backdrop comes in. If you mount some steel plate on a downward angle to deflect the bullets. I asked the licensing officer in my town about it. He said technically its legal, but we all know the neighbors will complain. That's where the quiet time rule comes in to play I guess.

It is legal to shoot in your basement, providing your basement is in fact, underground...

What if you're like almost every other person in the world, and the basement in your house isn't 100% underground? ie...the top foot or so is usually above ground, with windows and whatnot.

I don't believe it matters...

(c) persons using underground or indoor target or test ranges with the consent of the owner or legal occupant thereof;

Even if your basement is not completely "underground", it most certainly is "indoor".

Back
Top Bottom