Buckshot

Is a smoothbore with rifled slugs good to go for deer or will you be really limited on range? Unfortunately rifled barrels for my nova almost cost as much as the entire gun.

I've used a smoothbore with sabot slugs before, accuracy is OK to 50 yards (150 feet), would probably still be OK to 100 yards (300 feet). Using a rifle is OK here, but when in the woods, most deer I've seen were less than 100 feet.

I've used a smoothbore with sabot slugs before, accuracy is OK to 50 yards (150 feet), would probably still be OK to 100 yards (300 feet). Using a rifle is OK here, but when in the woods, most deer I've seen were less than 100 feet.

Using a sabot in a smooth bore is just wasting money. They shoot no more accurately then rifled slugs If anything the sabot would be less accurate out of a smooth bore then rifled slugs.

Using a sabot in a smooth bore is just wasting money. They shoot no more accurately then rifled slugs If anything the sabot would be less accurate out of a smooth bore then rifled slugs.

Have you ever tried them? With a decent shotgun with decent sights?

I have, my experience tells me they're more accurate, shotgun was a Ruger Red Label with rifle sights mounted on the rib.

Have you ever tried them? With a decent shotgun with decent sights?

I have, my experience tells me they're more accurate, shotgun was a Ruger Red Label with rifle sights mounted on the rib.

Was at the range a few weekend ago with a buddy to sight in our shotguns for deer season.
I brought Mossberg 500 rifles and ported barrel and he had a nice older Winchester smoothbore slug gun.
He was shooting Hornady sst and Remington rifled slugs. With the sst he was getting 4" groups at 50 yards and 7" groups at 100 With the Remington's he was getting 4" groups at 50 and 6/7" groups at 100"

He ended up giving me his last box of sst because they shot so well out of my gun and his gun didn't shoot them any better then the Rifled slugs Just his POI was about 5" lower using the rifled slugs compared to the sabots.

Was at the range a few weekend ago with a buddy to sight in our shotguns for deer season.
I brought Mossberg 500 rifles and ported barrel and he had a nice older Winchester smoothbore slug gun.
He was shooting Hornady sst and Remington rifled slugs. With the sst he was getting 4" groups at 50 yards and 7" groups at 100 With the Remington's he was getting 4" groups at 50 and 6/7" groups at 100"

He ended up giving me his last box of sst because they shot so well out of my gun and his gun didn't shoot them any better then the Rifled slugs Just his POI was about 5" lower using the rifled slugs compared to the sabots.

Remington slugs aren’t the best to use out of smoothbore barrels. They're also not the best to use in terms of actually being slugs.

http://www.brennekeusa.com/cms/h_products.html

http://www.dixieslugs.com/products.html

Sometimes you'll have that. I've got a Winchester 52B that prefers Eley Target over Eley Match. And, that isn't the only one.

The bottom line is to try and see. 7 MOA isn't bad for a shotgun, as it's not like you're going to be making 300-400 yard shots with it.

Where I grew up, buckshot was the only thing allowed. No slugs, no rifles. Land was too flat.

That being said, it makes a mess of things. It was my first deer and it is not as humane as a bullet. I had hoped to drop it on the first shot, being it was only 25 yards away. Ended up having to shoot him 3 times. Pretty much resolved any interest I had in deer hunting.

Back
Top Bottom