Browning Ends Hipower Production

I was reading something on this last year when this started to come up in the news. Seems that machines they use to make the Browning are shot as they are the same ones used from WWII. The cost to retool is not worth the market share the Hi-Power has, so away they are going. Though Browning did surge production some and according to the article I read there are somewhere in the area of 15,000 models in inventory that will be used for ongoing orders. With that many in stock it will be a while before the pricing starts to skyrocket. Well, maybe....

I was reading something on this last year when this started to come up in the news. Seems that machines they use to make the Browning are shot as they are the same ones used from WWII. The cost to retool is not worth the market share the Hi-Power has, so away they are going. Though Browning did surge production some and according to the article I read there are somewhere in the area of 15,000 models in inventory that will be used for ongoing orders. With that many in stock it will be a while before the pricing starts to skyrocket. Well, maybe....

It won't. There's not a huge demand with regards to a semiauto pistol that hasn't been updated in 9000 years. They couldn't even be bothered to put a safety lever on the things that wasn't crap, or get rid of the mag safety, etc. They're cool for "collecting" and amongst older guns I wouldn't completely hate owning one, but I ain't going to go out of my way to waste cash on one, but if someone gave one to me, I wouldn't sell it, either.

These days it's also hard pressed to compete with things like CZs, Tanfoglios, etc... which basically took the best ideas/concepts from the BHP (eg, like low bore axis, OK ergonomics, high reliability, putting weight on the front of the gun, etc) and cast it into much more modern renditions; where Browning dropped the ball others picked it up and ran with it. Even a cheap CZ or a Tanfo makes a BHP MKIII look derelict and ancient in comparison. A BHP will always be regarded as a classic, though, no taking that away from it.

-Mike

Well maybe if they weren't so freaking overpriced they would have a higher market share....

If they had updated the gun to produce more models and variants the price being whatever it is wouldn't matter so much.

-Mike

If they had updated the gun to produce more models and variants the price being whatever it is wouldn't matter so much.

-Mike
I hear what your saying and agree. But.....it's just not what browning does....or has ever done. They sold the auto 5 shotgun unchanged for 90 years. It was THE best selling shotgun among hunters for decades......till the 1100 remy came out and took over the market as a softer shooting just as reliable gun that cost less. Other companies made technological improvements (Remy 1100) and killed the auto 5 in sales to hunters. Same with the "new" shotguns they make.......quality gun.....but they expect the model to sell unchanged for decades. The high power was no different......it's way past the time for it to it to go the way of the auto 5.

All that said......my favorite shotgun in the woods is my 1969 auto 5.....but I ain't spending thousands on a "brand new" early 1900s technology!

It won't. There's not a huge demand with regards to a semiauto pistol that hasn't been updated in 9000 years. They couldn't even be bothered to put a safety lever on the things that wasn't crap, or get rid of the mag safety, etc. They're cool for "collecting" and amongst older guns I wouldn't completely hate owning one, but I ain't going to go out of my way to waste cash on one, but if someone gave one to me, I wouldn't sell it, either.

These days it's also hard pressed to compete with things like CZs, Tanfoglios, etc... which basically took the best ideas/concepts from the BHP (eg, like low bore axis, OK ergonomics, high reliability, putting weight on the front of the gun, etc) and cast it into much more modern renditions; where Browning dropped the ball others picked it up and ran with it. Even a cheap CZ or a Tanfo makes a BHP MKIII look derelict and ancient in comparison. A BHP will always be regarded as a classic, though, no taking that away from it.

-Mike
as much as i like my HP this could not be more correct.... the only thing that keeps the "1911" going is all the crap put on them and up dated.
I was handed a nice condition 1917ish 1911 about 25 years ago and it almost felt ike it would fall appart but that pistol is still going strong as the owner uses it for steel plate shoots at his club... times do change

Always sad to see an icon fade away, that being said, they were produced for so many years and in such great numbers that for a long while anyone feeling nostalgic for one should have no issue laying hands upon one at a reasonable cost. Also don’t discount some small manufacturer somewhere picking up the ball and making a copycat.

Here's hoping mine will be worth more soon. LOL Counting the first time I shot it, I've shot it. . . . . once. ROFL!

The Belgians made a fine gun - accurate, reliable, durable, ergonomic...I love mine. Before there were so-many 'plastic' guns, Browning was THE 9mm to have. If polymer isn't for you, and you're a 'Colt guy', a Browning probably found its way into your safe. I have a genuine MK. II from Belgium, and really no interest in the Colt 1911 - too big, and too expensive. The Browning Italian high-cap mags with the springs eject faster than Glock mags, would like to get a few more of those somewhere...

Raymond Reddington still carries his.....and he has options. Dig the horizontal holster.

A couple years ago I really wanted a Browning Hi Power. After some searching I decided to instead by a WWII Inglis Browning. For those that don't know, Inglis is a Canadian gun maker that started making Browning Hi Powers for the war effort when Germany overran the Browning factory. One of the engineers snuck out the blueprints for the Hi Power and Inglis received them and started manufacturing for Browning. The Inglis had a wood holster/stock that makes it a very fun gun to shoot.

inglis.jpg

CZ took the HP design and kept updating it. I can only hope that Browning allows the IP to lapse and that other companies will take up producing variants similar to how everyone makes a flavor of 1911s now.

I've always wished that someone would make a striker fired HP based on JMB's drawings before it was monkeyed with by Saive.

It’s redesigned. It’ll never be a “true” hi power.
I have had the chance to shoot a high power one time. Guy at rhe club let me shoot his for a bit. They really are a fine shooting pistol......and the fit and finish on the one I tried was outstanding. His was manufactured in the 1970s.....can't see this being anywhere near as good quality wise but......I'd like to see one up close.

Not from FN, it's not. Whole new design, no compatibility, and proprietary plastic magazines.

If you want a new Hi-Power, you can try SA, or wait for EAA to import the Girsan-made models.

It’s redesigned. It’ll never be a “true” hi power.
I have had the chance to shoot a high power one time. Guy at rhe club let me about his for a bit. They really are a fine shooting pistol......and the fit and finish on the one I tried was outstanding. His was manufactured in the 1970s.....can't see this being anywhere near as good quality wise but......I'd like to see one up close

Browning hi-power one of the worst guns ever built. It has been around for ever. Extremely long reset and poor trigger pull. This was a perfect gun for the Candian and British Military and British Police so they wouldn't shoot themselves

Back
Top Bottom