• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Brother is leaving for basic!

ddp335

NES Member
My brother is leaving for basic in a few weeks. I wanted to get him a watch before he goes. Is there a particular one that is known to hold up through training and deployment?

if he's going to Parris Island, those MF'rs are on 'recruit time' for the first 2.75 months they're there…send him one during the crucible, and he'll get it after he gets his EGA.

get him a cheap casio digital that tells time so he doesn't waste his hard earned recruit pay dirt on a ****ing G shock or whatever the **** those things are. he doesn't need to know the sea level, temperature, or know his ****ing god damn heart rate at boot…

for those of you that might be reading this…Marine recruits are told what to do and when to do it…if it's after mid day chow, it's afternoon…if it's after evening chow, it's evening…if a god damn DI whispers into your ear at 0200 and tells you to meet him in the laundry room…you're gonna get ****ed up!

-Iron Mike

He joined the Army as a medic. So hold off and give it as a graduation gift?

In the meantime while he is in basic, be sure to send him a G.I. Joe [STRIKE=doll]doll[/STRIKE] action-figure and a big thick envelope full of USN, USMC and USAF recruiting materials. [thumbsup]

Cheap watch for basic, anything fancy will attract the attention of the DS. Once he graduates, the G shocks are popular and do well. Look for something with an easy to read face. As a medic, they will need something to count seconds easily when taking vitals and such.

No watches allowed in USMC boot, not sure how the army does it... I know they have different standards for boot for different MOS's.

The timex 20 dollar watches have always been the best for me. Small, light, durable, cheap.

Mike

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

When I was at Fort Benning in 1998, no watches were allowed except for the platoon leader. May be different now, but may not want to take the chance. I guarantee you he won't need a watch till after graduation

Edit: you can get a really nice G shock for about a c note. I have a lower end one that I have worn daily for 7 years and never had a problem with it.

Last edited:
When I went through Army BCT in 03 at Fort Leonard Wood, watches were required. You need to know when to wake up your relief for fire watch, be on time for formation, etc. We had 8 man squad bays so there wasn't a clock in every room.

A $25 Timex from Walgreens will get them through basic no problem.

Back
Top Bottom