• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Breaking in the new Dillon 550

Finally got the new reloader all set up and running smoothly. Made up a batch of 40 S&W and .223 and headed to the range. All went well so now I am looking forward to some long and enjoyable sessions in the reloading room.

Finally got the new reloader all set up and running smoothly. Made up a batch of 40 S&W and .223 and headed to the range. All went well so now I am looking forward to some long and enjoyable sessions in the reloading room.

Congrats on your purchase. I think the 550 is the best machine for the money on the market.

PS I have two.

Long reloading sessions? It was my experience when I set up my Dillon that reloading sessions were greatly reduced in time! My wife asked me, "Honey, why don't you reload as much anymore?" My answer was that I can now do in a few hours what used to take me all day.

I don't touch the Dillon unless I'm going to load up a few 100 of something and usually load in bulk 1K at a time, but I'm pretty set on my loads and run the same thing over and over. For small batch, low volume loads I still use my turret press.

I am very methodical when reloading. Always checking for powder, etc. Unlike me posting this in the wrong section. Meant to post in" What did you do in the reloading room recently?". For Christmas my son gave me an Inline Fabrication Ultra Mount and the LED light that goes in the tool head. Just bought a TSC mat for the floor and next will be to order a stool.

I only reload pistol ammo, so I bought a square Deal-B about 25 years ago, or so. I couldn't tell you how many rounds I've loaded in that machine; 10,000 at least, probably more. I'm a huge Dillon fan. That thing just keeps on ticking.
I've been shooting one of my Marlin Camp Carbines in 9mm lately. I just put 200, Berry's 124 grain bullets with mixed, range-scrounged brass through it without a hitch.
What surprises me is how accurate their powder systems are. You wouldn't think that sliding powder charge bar would be accurate to within a tenth of a grain consistantly, but it is. Hats off to Dillon for making a quality product.

Congrats!!!!!! I have 4 of them and all run flawlessly.

Last edited:
You Sir are very well organized! Today I tried to find a receipt for an AR 15 handguard that I bought 14 months ago and could not find it.
Really love the Dillon 550 and it so good to go downstairs and reload. Any time away from the TV is time well spent.

I like reloading about as much as I do shooting, sometimes more. With the 550, that means ammo storage has become an issue now. I'd long given up on those neat tidy plastic reloaded ammo boxes and now just put large batches in gallon size zip-loc bags and keep buying metal ammo cans.

I like reloading about as much as I do shooting, sometimes more. With the 550, that means ammo storage has become an issue now. I'd long given up on those neat tidy plastic reloaded ammo boxes and now just put large batches in gallon size zip-loc bags and keep buying metal ammo cans.

Those smaller plastic ammo cans are perfect for 1000 rounds of 9mm or 500 rounds of .45, well I guess I can put about 650 in them but I like keep round numbers for inventory control :) Love my 550 as well but I haven't started loading for rifle calibers yet, just 9 and 45 so far.

I still keep a few nice boxes around for reloads that have a little more scrutiny into them, usually those are matching/weighed brass, trickle charged, and runout measured loads for my bolt guns.

+1 on the zip lock bags. I set my 1050 to drop the loaded rounds right into the bag. Quart bags hold 200 rounds of 9mm. When the bag is full, I just drop in a slip of paper with the pertinent data and seal it up. This is for practice ammo only. Match ammo gets drop checked in the appropriate gauge.

Back
Top Bottom