BPSK63 contact.

quincy

NES Member
After about a month of tweaking, learning and just listening on HF, I made first contact with a BPSK63 ham in AL on 15m. Amazing considering I'm using an indoor loop antenna and 30 watts. Anyone else using digital modes on HF?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very cool. I have no idea what any of that means, but MAN...I love HAM! [grin]

Still learning...

I've done some playing around with JT65 and WSPR and have made contacts with operators South Africa (aboard a ship off the coast) and New Zealand, very cool but pretty dry and regimented. I have monitored PSK31 and think I have the adjustments right, but I haven't jumped in and made any contacts yet.

I upgraded to General earlier this year and my goal now is to get up to speed on ssb and digital comms. I have the gear, now I need to grow a pair and get my hands dirty on the bands.

Check out pskreporter.info and pskreporter.info/pskmap.html

20 m was loaded with bpsk31 sigs yesterday but I didn't try to return any cq's.

Today I added a 10ga ground wire from antenna tuner to copper water pipe about 5 ft away. Now I'm able to easily tune my indoor loop from 80-10. Also made chokes for all plug warts and it lowered my noise floor on all bands by couple of S units. Still experimenting.

I've been listening to JT65 for a couple of days now and I'm addicted. There are signals everywhere. Most are not even strong enough to get through the s-5 noise floor but full copy, -20dB and lower. I'm totally amazed. I'm working on another antenna that faces more NE to try and capture European stations. There was a ZL on 15m earlier but very weak.

I listened to waterfalls for a little while this summer and I was a bit overwhelmed by the number of modes. I was using FLDigi and the combinations of modes and bands made my head spin. Is there a method to which mode to use for what? I was looking for people to chat with but every time I sent CQ all I got were people trying to make contacts. That wasn't fun for me so I stopped.

I've tried a few of the digital modes. I was only moderately successful but it's just not for me. I enjoy SSB. That being said I do see why people enjoy it.

Back
Top Bottom