• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

one contact and then nothing

got my general in summer. got a kenwood ts-480, a mfj auto antenna tuner, and some wire. I have made one contact in spain within the first week of getting the radio. I thought it was going good and then nothing. could use some advice on where to start on checking problems

I am limited on antenna options. I have a 2nd floor deck off the back of house that is next to woods. I have a pulley up in trees about 30’ off ground and about 100’ of wire. That is attached to a mfj random length wire auto tuner. I have also a 35’ mast I can run a wire up on but doesn’t seam to work.
I was able to make a couple contacts in MD yesterday during winter field day so it was a little bit of feedback of knowing it is sending out.

Personally, I'm not a fan of random length wire antennas. All the tuner is going to do is show the radio a good match. You could have a perfect match but a 100 foot long dummy load. There are a number of different companies that make good multi band wire antennas. All the antennas at my station are band specific and are so well tuned I don't need a tuner to transmit.

I understand you are just starting out, I would ask how the end of the antenna is attached to the support pulley in the tree. Is the wire through the pulley then tied to an attachment point or is it threaded through an insulator then a rope through the pulley to the attachment point? The wire is your radiating element and should be hanging in free space and not grounded.

How is the wire attached to the mast? It needs to be insulated there too.

How does it leave your house?

Do you have a RF ground? Usually, antennas have a radiating element and a ground plane (not trying t get too complicated here).

Also what band you were in would.be useful.

I frequently had 40meters just go dead on me after a few hot spots at different times of day with my antenna orientation. I'd always switch to 20 and then 10 until I ran out of time.

The advice above is good basics. What is your grounding situtation? Got other rf sources near the lines? (WiFi router, Roku or something chatty printer with wireless on even if you ain't using it..etc)

Personally, I'm not a fan of random length wire antennas. All the tuner is going to do is show the radio a good match. You could have a perfect match but a 100 foot long dummy load. There are a number of different companies that make good multi band wire antennas. All the antennas at my station are band specific and are so well tuned I don't need a tuner to transmit.

I understand you are just starting out, I would ask how the end of the antenna is attached to the support pulley in the tree. Is the wire through the pulley then tied to an attachment point or is it threaded through an insulator then a rope through the pulley to the attachment point? The wire is your radiating element and should be hanging in free space and not grounded.

How is the wire attached to the mast? It needs to be insulated there too.

How does it leave your house?

Do you have a RF ground? Usually, antennas have a radiating element and a ground plane (not trying t get too complicated here).
i have insulated ends then rope then pulley. The the tuner is grounded on a 6’ ground post I put in. The tuner is outside, I have coax going out the house from radio to tuner then wire goes out to woods, wire is in air off ground.

Try running a wire from your ground rod out in the woods. I suspect the soil conductivity is your problem. The wire can be burried or just lay on the ground. This would ideally be as long as your radiating element but is not critical.

I'm not sure what bands you're working, but if it's contacts you're looking for, try checking in to some nets. Google up ECARS Net and MIDCARS Net (both on 40 meters) and the Maritime Mobile Service Net on 20 meters for times and frequencies. Listen in for a bit and when the control op calls for any check ins, have at it.

Contact me and we can talk about getting an antenna up that will work for you in the space you have. I have a lot of experience with end fed wire antennas and have used one for years. I have made contacts around the world on 100 watts and an end fed wire. End fed wires will work great if built and configured correctly. Check me out on QRZ.
John N1HM

Back
Top Bottom