• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

First DX HF contact last night

jim/boston

NES Member
I watched as Darkgriffin got on 20 and 40 meters and was making DX contacts all over europe (with his antenna strung all over his attic). I didn't have an antenna set up for HF until Tues when I went to HRO in Salem, NH and bought a G5RV dipole (44.99). I then had the fun of stringing this up in my trees in the backyard (in the rain, using a fishing pole... I might add). I had to tweak it a bit to get the SWR under 2:1 on 20 meters and last night I got home from work at 11pm and ran down to the radio shack to see what the bands sounded like. I heard some DX coming in (but not booming) on 20 meters....spun the dial a bit and heard a station callin DX with clearly a German accent. I figured 'what the heck, give it a shot and answer him' and much to my amazement he answered me. My first HF DX contact (QSO)! My contact was with OE6KDG in Spielberg Austria...a distance of 3995 miles on probably about 75 watts actual power output. He gave me a signal report of 5/6. I felt like a kid again; having a ball. I highly recommend trying HF...it adds a whole new dimension to the hobby.

Last edited:
Congrats Jim.... The past week has been great on 20m at night. My first ever contact on 20m was DX and it was from the Czech Republic. 3 minutes after that Poland. It has been a great week. Since I only have my G5RV Jr in the attic and pushing 75 watts and getting 5 by 9 reports I can not be any happier.

Back
Top Bottom