• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Boulder CO banning "assault weapons" NEW update post 89 people are saying FO

mikeyp

NES Member
Boulder approves ban on sale, possession of assault weapons

After much conversation, the council seemed to agree to a paper registration system gun owners would have to get certificates for their weapons from the Boulder Police Department and keep their assault weapons and certificates together at all times.

Police would keep no formal record through registry, however.

Um...what?

It will become effective as soon as it's adopted. At that point, according to rules the council has agreed on, citizens who own bump stocks will have to get rid of them within 30 days of adoption. They'd have to get rid of magazines with the capacity to hold 10 or more rounds by Dec. 31.

So now it’s 9 round magazine limits? Good luck with that.

Ugh, my home town. I grew up walking around my neighborhood in E. Boulder with all sorts of firearms and nobody thought a thing of it.

Boulder politico circle jerk. This will not pass legal muster. Colorado has state pre-emption, basically local governments cannot pass/enforce laws that are more restrictive than state laws. Typical out-of-state Boulder lefties.

655AB8A8-E6FD-47BD-84A5-AB5CCF4CF7F9.jpeg . WTF a made up word in the last 10 years. I may have a AR15 or not but it is not rapid fire , does that mean it’s not a a assault rifle?

Last edited:
CO has become incredibly polluted by CA whack jobs escaping the hight taxes, traffic and smog.

Now, CO has high taxes, traffic, and smog. :-/

View attachment 232787. WTF a made up word in the last 10 years. I may have a AR15 or not but it is not rapid fire , does that mean it’s not a a assault rifle?
Time to be pedantic.

The term "assault rifle" dates (in my reading) to the STG44, so at least WWII. It quickly became a technical term of art that defines a firearm by its tactical use. My understanding is that it's better described as a select-fire, shoulderable arm chambered in an intermediate cartridge.

"Assault weapon" started as an advertising phrase in the 80s, and was quickly co-opted in the 90s by antis who created an entirely asinine law that was enacted in 1994 - almost a generation ago.

It's fine to argue words and meaning; if you're going to, do us all a favor and be right about it. I feel your pain, but please take a breath before saying these things.

No one is any safer, the People of Boulder are now weaker, but the antis are basking in Glory having persecuted their political rivals.

with all this anti crap going on where is Trump protecting 2A like he promised in his campaign....

States should not have the right to step on the individual freedoms guaranteed in the BOR.

I’m hoping that all these insane local and state laws spurs SCOTUS to take a case and throw this BS out and stop future BS. It took time with the lawsuits but we got Defense of Lawful Commerce, hoping this FR stuff will yield the same.

And as always - DO NOT COMPLY.

Illegal to pass this, sure, but they will go to bed tonight and claim yes, we made a difference tonight.

They are politicians, these are typically the differences they make, utterly useless.

They will be sued.
"
During the public comment period for the legislation, the nonprofit Mountain States Legal Foundation promised to sue the city for "violations of the Second, Fifth, and Fourteenth Amendments," as well as the Colorado Constitution, Fox's KDVR-TV reported.

A staff attorney for the group, Cody Wisniewski, said that individual councilmembers would be named in the lawsuit, according to the network.

Lawsuits generally cannot be directed personally at individual lawmakers for their official actions in legislative sessions, but naming elected officials in civil actions against the government is often acceptable as long as plaintiffs are not seeking to hold lawmakers personally liable for allegedly unconstitutional conduct.
he nonprofit's threat of legal action apparently did not come as a surprise to members of the city council, who said they anticipated complications.

"We're going to see a lot of court cases coming before us," Councilwoman Mirabai Nagle said despite voting for the ordinance, according to Colorado Public Radio. "I think that we're going to spend a lot of time and money. It's not that lives aren't worth that, but I think that there was a better way of going about this.

"I don't agree with this ordinance in many ways," Nagle added. "It's not perfect."

The proposed ordinance led to protests last week, with some pro-Second Amendment activists carrying long guns openly in the streets, according to local reports."

with all this anti crap going on where is Trump protecting 2A like he promised in his campaign....

States should not have the right to step on the individual freedoms guaranteed in the BOR.
Not sure what you expect him to do in this case.

Maybe hold a presser and say the "Boulder City Council acted stupidly"?

Not sure what you expect him to do in this case.

Maybe hold a presser and say the "Boulder City Council acted stupidly"?

That sounds just like something he would do. I don't feel he is keeping to his 2A promises.

I also think that states should not be allowed to restrict constitutional freedoms. They should be able to expand on them but not restrict them.

The Miranda law was passed because people were too stupid to know their rights. Now cops have to read people their rights for an arrest like a bed time story.

No love like that for 2A.

That sounds just like something he would do. I don't feel he is keeping to his 2A promises.

I also think that states should not be allowed to restrict constitutional freedoms. They should be able to expand on them but not restrict them.

The Miranda law was passed because people were too stupid to know their rights. Now cops have to read people their rights for an arrest like a bed time story.

No love like that for 2A.
I hit unlike by accident. What do you expect him to do? Unlike the Dems, Republicans don't all fall in line with a subject. Even with the Presidency and both Houses we can't get the Reciprocity bill up for a vote, never mind passed.

I hit unlike by accident. What do you expect him to do? Unlike the Dems, Republicans don't all fall in line with a subject. Even with the Presidency and both Houses we can't get the Reciprocity bill up for a vote, never mind passed.

yup...exactly. gotta just keep up the good fight...

Back
Top Bottom