Bought my first safe

basscatfrank

NES Member
3910204_A3

Bought it this morning at Tractor Supply and will pick it up tomorrow. I told my wife that gun safes are like refrigerators, they need to be full to run efficiently.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp...ory_rn=&top_category=&urlLangId=&cm_vc=-10005

Last edited:
Looks like a great safe, decent price too. USB/Ethernet, only thing I can see it for a camera system.

Camera and/or security computer (that records video from your IP cameras to a local device, as opposed to FTPing over the WAN.)

Anyway, congrats. They are a good deal. The only thing that wigs me out about the Winchester/Cannon safes at TSC is the fact that they only come with an electronic lock.

You could charge a device via the USB port.

nice price and capacity... I just don't like electronic locks.

Exercise caution when you see a safe advertised as "heavy gauge steel" rather than a specific gauge. It probably means this is 12ga (about right for the specified weight), which is on the low end of gun safes and relatively easy to breech.

Also, the Cannon "lifetime warranty" does NOT cover electronic locks. When gunwriter Michael Bane had one fail he was given a new lock and told "opening the box is your problem, not ours".

I went to tractor supply this morning and picked up the Winchester 24 for $549. Nice safe and plenty of capacity for my needs right now. When I grow the collect, I'll keep it and use it for only ammo and get a bigger one for the pistols and rifles.

- - - Updated - - -

Exercise caution when you see a safe advertised as "heavy gauge steel" rather than a specific gauge. It probably means this is 12ga (about right for the specified weight), which is on the low end of gun safes and relatively easy to breech.

Also, the Cannon "lifetime warranty" does NOT cover electronic locks. When gunwriter Michael Bane had one fail he was given a new lock and told "opening the box is your problem, not ours".

Gotta love the honesty.

Quick question for folks. The Winchester does not have the usb, power, ethernet set up the cannon has or other bigger safes. If I want to add one on to the Winchester, what is the penetration in the cannon like? Just drill a small hole to run the wire, then seal it with some firestop caulking or foam? Thanks.

Quick question for folks. The Winchester does not have the usb, power, ethernet set up the cannon has or other bigger safes. If I want to add one on to the Winchester, what is the penetration in the cannon like? Just drill a small hole to run the wire, then seal it with some firestop caulking or foam? Thanks.

Easy. You drill a hole - 12 gauge steel is not hard to penetrate, but I'd suggest punching a dimple first so the bit does not wander.

Oooh it's on sale again. How are you guys moving it into the house? Any moving companies recommended? [grin]
This can be my temporary safe while I'm on the list for a Zanotti Armor safe

I didn't have the need for the Canon, so I went with the Winchester

io1w.jpg

It's only a temp location until I clean out a room in the basement to make into a gun work room.

The hardest part about getting it in the house? Pulling the forklift back onto the pavement because it doesn't have brakes (driveway slopes down towards walk-out basement)

I didn't have the need for the Canon, so I went with the Winchester

It's only a temp location until I clean out a room in the basement to make into a gun work room.

The hardest part about getting it in the house? Pulling the forklift back onto the pavement because it doesn't have brakes (driveway slopes down towards walk-out basement)
If that isn't the nicest moderately-priced gun safe out there, I'll eat my hat! [wink]

Glad to see you got it indoors okay. Hmmmm. Brakes would be good here! Very good, in fact! [grin]

That 48 gun cannon is a nice safe ... I know someone who has one ... as I helped him move it in his basement ... It helps if u know someone with a front end loader to help it down the bulkhead .

Back
Top Bottom