• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bought a Ruger SR22 for the wifey and my daughter to shoot at the range with me but..

but after shooting it today I think I may have to keep this one for myself. I've never shot a .22 semi pistol before. This thing is a blast, and after shooting about 50 rounds of .22 I shot my shield 9mm like a sniper.

Do people train with a .22 or is it just too different? The trigger is so easy on this thing I thought I had a couple of ftf's. Nope shot went off.............damn that's a much lighter pull than either of my M&P's and I had both of those done. [smile]

SR22 is a great pistol period!

I have a Ruger Mark III .22 but it cuts up my hand every time I shoot it. I acquired a Mark II but haven't shot it much, don't think it cuts my hand up like the III. If I get another 22 pistol, I'd definitely consider getting the SR22. 22s are a great way to introduce people to shooting.

I have both the SR22 and the MkIII. Like the SR22 but LOVE the MKIII.

The SR22 a super fun shooter and a great little gun to teach a new shooter the ins and outs of a semi-auto. Easy to use with highly visible manual safety and double and single action. Also, simple to take down.

The chrome, bull barrel-ed MKIII I have, is just awesome. Looks great, has nice heft to it and is a stupid accurate tac driver at 50ft. Lots of ways to pimp it out if you so choose. The one drawback is that to the first time owner/shooter, its kinda bitch to take down and harder to re-assemble. Especially a new one. Even with videos and practice, it'll take you some time to master getting the hanging thing-ie in the right position to get that bolt stop back in. But once you get it and the parts loosen up, easy peasey!!!

One interesting note... side by side... with the same ammo, I noticed the MKIII knocks down the steel plates at my club. One shot, one plate where it might take 2 - 4 rapid shots to do the same with the SR22.

Also if you shoot .22, you shoot A LOT of .22, so this invention for the MKIII is a MUST HAVE!!!! McFadden Ultimate speed loader!!!! It saves your thumb, but it'll costs you in the wallet, because with one of these you spend all your time slinging lead and very little reloading. They NEED to make one for the SR22 and if they do.. point me to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wFM9YFbKak&nohtml5=False

I have both the SR22 and the MkIII. Like the SR22 but LOVE the MKIII.

The SR22 a super fun shooter and a great little gun to teach a new shooter the ins and outs of a semi-auto. Easy to use with highly visible manual safety and double and single action. Also, simple to take down.

The chrome, bull barrel-ed MKIII I have, is just awesome. Looks great, has nice heft to it and is a stupid accurate tac driver at 50ft. Lots of ways to pimp it out if you so choose. The one drawback is that to the first time owner/shooter, its kinda bitch to take down and harder to re-assemble. Especially a new one. Even with videos and practice, it'll take you some time to master getting the hanging thing-ie in the right position to get that bolt stop back in. But once you get it and the parts loosen up, easy peasey!!!

One interesting note... side by side... with the same ammo, I noticed the MKIII knocks down the steel plates at my club. One shot, one plate where it might take 2 - 4 rapid shots to do the same with the SR22.

Also if you shoot .22, you shoot A LOT of .22, so this invention for the MKIII is a MUST HAVE!!!! McFadden Ultimate speed loader!!!! It saves your thumb, but it'll costs you in the wallet, because with one of these you spend all your time slinging lead and very little reloading. They NEED to make one for the SR22 and if they do.. point me to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wFM9YFbKak&nohtml5=False

If you want a target gun over a plinker, get the S&W Victory!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Mklll also... I'd likely be in the same boat, my wife would take over the SR22 in a nonosecond. She has commented on how much she liked my daughter's SR22.

I was on the range with my wife yesterday and a guy next to us had a MKIII , he let my wife shoot it and actually helped her out quite a bit with her sight lines (It's tough
when you're the husband sometimes).
Pretty awesome gun, I may have to pick one up. she loved it.

bumping thread to see what's been the experience w the 22 victory?

I was marginally interested until seeing that the upper/lower are held together by a screw, which requires either loctite after each takedown or a tension washer to keep from backing out. The pistol looks sharp but I'm too content w my 22/45 to go experimenting unless I can be convinced by some 22 victory owners.

is that high for copper plated CCI .22?
what's a good price per round for .22lr? and to you other SR22 owners , no issues using lead round nose ammo?
federal champion auto match Target seems to be pretty popular. I don't mind spending a little more if I can avoid jams etc.

- - - Updated - - -

I didn't notice that when I was there, if this is good through the SR22 will have to grab a couple of boxes.
for general range plinking fun i try to stick to 7 to 8 cents a round max. American eagle runs me 2.99 for a 40 round pack. 325 round bulk packs of auto match are 20 bucks and is the beat deal going for general range ammo. Ive been through 3 bulk packs of auto match with only one ftf! Its good stuff for plate shoots and plinking. I hunt with a 22lr in the fall for squirrel and rabbit on occasion and go for winchester super x at abput 12 cents a round.....but only that high fornme for hunting.

I have owned a SR22 for about 3yrs I love it even though it has a sloppy fit slide to frame My wife shoots 1" groups @5 yards constantly. It never jambs it eats everything I put through it. I highly recommend it to anyone.

I have the 22/45 and recently got a SR22 for my wife. My 22/45 had a few issues with FTF but I think it was ammo related as it's been flawless since then. My wife's SR22 has one FTF per magazine. I am in the process of trying different ammo to see if it cures it, but it might have to go back if it doesn't.

another option you might want to consider is a Browning Buckmark. it's a lot like the MK III and S&W discussed and I've read good things about them.

cq5dam.web.500.500.jpeg

Last edited:
I am in the process of trying different ammo to see if it cures it, but it might have to go back if it doesn't.

Perhaps the ammo isn't seating fully in the magazine? After loading the magazines, I put tension on the magazine spring, and shake them a bit with the rounds facing upward. I do the same with my Mark III mags. Seems to help. Haven't had any problems with various ammo in the SR22, other than the odd Golden Bullet misfire.

I usually pull the spring down a few times to make sure they are seated well, I will try some shaking as well. I have 2 boxes of the golden bullet and Winchester super X to try next.

CCI Chootems copper plated and CCI Ar tactical. I've shot several thousand rounds of both these through my SR22, zero issues.

Back
Top Bottom