Boston to allow licensed gun owners to register their guns

Really? Do they have a database of barrel/bullet fingerprints that the search against? Will every gun owner be required to submit a sample bullet?

I believe the Feds (BATFE) have a database of both case/shell markings by various manufacturers as well as the actual ballistic markings on the bullets recovered from crime scenes. I'm not sure it's available to all departments or even if all departments submit info to it.
It also allows "tracing" a firearm from manufacture through any "recorded" transfer. Manufacturer - dealer - buyer -etc.
https://www.atf.gov/firearms/national-integrated-ballistic-information-network-nibin

And keep in mind that EVERY firearm is test fired at the manufacturer. How long do you think until they start mandating the manufacturers to recover, digitize, store and transmit that info to a federal agency? You know, for our safety.

Last edited:
Here's a thought - let's say you have an 'illegal' gun. You're a PP, underage, felon/gang-member, etc. You have a gun you want to sell legally to a card-holder, but have no avenue to get the gun 'legal' so a proper form can be generated for the transfer. If there is an 'amnesty' situation where 'illegal' guns can get registered, then sold on the legal market to a card-holder, then I'd fully support it.

Otherwise, I'm not seeing any benefit to this program whatsoever.

Here's a thought - let's say you have an 'illegal' gun. You're a PP, underage, felon/gang-member, etc. You have a gun you want to sell legally to a card-holder, but have no avenue to get the gun 'legal' so a proper form can be generated for the transfer. If there is an 'amnesty' situation where 'illegal' guns can get registered, then sold on the legal market to a card-holder, then I'd fully support it.

Otherwise, I'm not seeing any benefit to this program whatsoever.

I will NEVER support a registry for ANY reason. Keep in mind that "illegal guns" don't exist in free states.

And keep in mind that EVERY firearm is test fired at the manufacturer. How long do you think until they start mandating the manufacturers to recover, digitize, store and transmit that info to a federal agency? You know, for our safety.

Even AR barrels?

I will NEVER support a registry for ANY reason. Keep in mind that "illegal guns" don't exist in free states.

Noted, but I shoot at a gun-range that has presence, and visibility, by LEOs. I'm not getting jammed-up by owning/shooting an unregistered gun. You wanna 'carry the flag'? Be my guest, the State would be more-than-happy to open your gun safe the HARD way. Guns stay 'underground' because the wrong people have them, but have no 'legal' avenue to sell them for cash. Gun buyback is a total joke, anyone can visit GunBroker.com and find-out that their Tec-9 is worth FAR more than what any buyback program would offer.

f2ca949fb62de943aeb8464f89590e5c.jpg

Spitting image. Someone please photoshop a police cap on it so I can use it in my Facebook trolling

Noted, but I shoot at a gun-range that has presence, and visibility, by LEOs. I'm not getting jammed-up by owning/shooting an unregistered gun. You wanna 'carry the flag'? Be my guest, the State would be more-than-happy to open your gun safe the HARD way.

In that case I hope you carry all your FA-10 copies with you and go up to each officer and show him your paperwork along with the gun before you shoot it. [tinfoil] [laugh2]

Noted, but I shoot at a gun-range that has presence, and visibility, by LEOs. I'm not getting jammed-up by owning/shooting an unregistered gun. You wanna 'carry the flag'? Be my guest, the State would be more-than-happy to open your gun safe the HARD way. Guns stay 'underground' because the wrong people have them, but have no 'legal' avenue to sell them for cash. Gun buyback is a total joke, anyone can visit GunBroker.com and find-out that their Tec-9 is worth FAR more than what any buyback program would offer.

In what situations do you see a cop running your serial numbers at the range?

The same ones who would ask to see my SBR tax-stamp if I pulled-out a 'shortie'.

How many of your guns are unregistered in the State? Put-up or shut-up.

If I had any, (which I don't) I wouldn't be telling you about it on the internet. Your argument is therefore invalid as nobody is stupid enough to prove you wrong.

There are also lots of guys that moved to MA with guns and are not required by law to "register" them

The same ones who would ask to see my SBR tax-stamp if I pulled-out a 'shortie'.

ALL guns do not have to be registered in MA. If one moves in with their guns, there is NO legal requirement to register them EVER. I had to embarrass and educate an ignorant ADA from the witness stand on this wrt a criminal case a few years ago.

Some cops are aware of this, most aren't and 99.99% would never think to check/ask.

If I had any, (which I don't) I wouldn't be telling you about it on the internet. Your argument is therefore invalid as nobody is stupid enough to prove you wrong.

There are also lots of guys that moved to MA with guns and are not required by law to "register" them

Just what I thought - no stones whatsoever. Encourage others to break the law, while you secretly comply with it. ALL of my firearms can be transferable via eFA-10.....can yours?

Just what I thought - no stones whatsoever. Encourage others to break the law, while you secretly comply with it. ALL of my firearms can be transferable via eFA-10.....can yours?

WOW! This certainly is not a forum you want to be associated with. We can only educate the willing here and what I posted above has been posted many times. Even Chief Glidden explains this in his book for law enforcement.

WOW! This certainly is not a forum you want to be associated with. We can only educate the willing here and what I posted above has been posted many times. Even Chief Glidden explains this in his book for law enforcement.

Every posting in the Forum Classifieds section state: "Statement of Legal compliance:
I will comply with all Federal and State Laws. If the firearm is to be shipped, you must provide me with a signed copy of your dealer's FFL (or your 03FFL if this is a Curio and Relic). For private party face-to-face transactions (only permitted by Fed law when both buyer and seller live in same state), I will meet all applicable state and federal laws.
"

or

"FTF on a FA10, or your dealer (you pay for xfer)."

Have you FA-10'd a gun not registered, with no penalty? What part of the above statements are you advocating I ignore 'in-protest'?

Every posting in the Forum Classifieds section state: "Statement of Legal compliance:
I will comply with all Federal and State Laws. If the firearm is to be shipped, you must provide me with a signed copy of your dealer's FFL (or your 03FFL if this is a Curio and Relic). For private party face-to-face transactions (only permitted by Fed law when both buyer and seller live in same state), I will meet all applicable state and federal laws.
"

or

"FTF on a FA10, or your dealer (you pay for xfer)."

Have you FA-10'd a gun not registered, with no penalty? What part of the above statements are you advocating I ignore 'in-protest'?

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make, but having a firearm that hasn't been FA-10's is not illegal. People move into MA with their guns all the time and follow the proper procedures to become licensed. These guns do not need to be eFA-10'd, nor, in my opinion, should they be. They can still be sold in MA legally. Not having an FA-10 on a gun in no way alone makes it an evil scary killy illegal gun.

ALL guns do not have to be registered in MA. If one moves in with their guns, there is NO legal requirement to register them EVER. I had to embarrass and educate an ignorant ADA from the witness stand on this wrt a criminal case a few years ago.

Some cops are aware of this, most aren't and 99.99% would never think to check/ask.

That's great advice, in-spirit. I'll remember it when I get stuffed into the back of a squad-car on a Felony Weapons Charge, and have to shell-out $$$$$$ for legal council for you to have an opportunity to 'educate' the other 99.99% on MY dime.

I really encourage all of us to take-up this opportunity 'for the greater good'.

LOL. I love the blame other states for all of your problems excuse. MA has a violent crime rate 3X that of VT, NH, and ME. 3 states that either border or are within a 20-minute drive of. Three states that are 3 of the 5 SAFEST IN THE NATION.

If gunz were bad as suggested, why is the crime rate out of control in MA with its strict gun laws relative to its neighbors? Shouldn't VT, NH & ME have violent crime rates 3X MA if what they said was true?

Can you please stop making sense, that doesn't fit with the BS they are trying to sell us.

Random thought...lets assume you move here with a few super evil Glocks.

A few months go by, life is great and then someone breaks into your house and steals them.

When you report them as stolen, do you have to have the serial number of the gun?

Now, let's assume you don't have the serial number of the gun, but just report them as stolen. Then those guns are used to kill someone 6 months later. What kind of legal issues can you have?

Random thought...lets assume you move here with a few super evil Glocks.

A few months go by, life is great and then someone breaks into your house and steals them.

When you report them as stolen, do you have to have the serial number of the gun?

Now, let's assume you don't have the serial number of the gun, but just report them as stolen. Then those guns are used to kill someone 6 months later. What kind of legal issues can you have?

Don't expect to get anything back w/o S/Ns. A bill of sale from whomever you bought it suffices, FA-10s aren't needed for the purpose. Police can't add a stolen gun to NCIC w/o a S/N either.

If ANY gun gets traced to you and it was used in a crime, expect a query as to whether or not you still own it or where it went off to. A stolen gun report even without S/Ns should suffice assuming you knew that a gun was stolen and the model matched that used in the crime. Think about what happens in any FREE state where their state isn't their keeper!

The fact that it wasn't registered especially if you moved in with it is irrelevant to any legal action. There is a specific legal reason why you do not (and can not) register a gun within 7 days of moving in with it . . . it isn't possible to do so. I discuss it in my Mass Gun Law Seminar but I'll leave it as an exercise for the reader here.

Keeping your own database of guns purchased and disposed of is a good idea, but you don't need the gov't to do it for you.

nowhere in that article did i see it mention "gun owners registering their firearms" ????

LOL. No. This is for criminals to go register their weapons so they can be tracked during later crimes. Seems legit, don't it??? [rofl]

In what situations do you see a cop running your serial numbers at the range?

Are you kidding? I'm pulled over 3x a day to check my serial #'s. Aren't you??? Maybe I should stop driving the truck with the M60 on the back.

The state already has a portal called the EFA10, why does thecity need another one ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's not really the question - let's say I buy a 'private-party' gun and attempt to do an EFA10 as the buyer. The gun is actually an 'underground' gun with no MA registration or paperwork whatsoever, and I'm the first citizen attempting to bring it 'above-ground' with the EFA10....does that 'work', legally, or do I get a knock at the door later when my EFA10 application doesn't cross-reference to any-other database?

What I'm NOT hearing is the following: "Yes, this is In-State-legal and I have first-hand experience with this transaction."
What I AM hearing is: "I've been a witness for the defense during a jury-trial prosecution"

I dunno about you, but I'd rather stay out of a courtroom. Things get expensive and life gets complicated in there.....

That's not really the question - let's say I buy a 'private-party' gun and attempt to do an EFA10 as the buyer. The gun is actually an 'underground' gun with no MA registration or paperwork whatsoever, and I'm the first citizen attempting to bring it 'above-ground' with the EFA10....does that 'work', legally, or do I get a knock at the door later when my EFA10 application doesn't cross-reference to any-other database?

What I'm NOT hearing is the following: "Yes, this is In-State-legal and I have first-hand experience with this transaction."
What I AM hearing is: "I've been a witness for the defense during a jury-trial prosecution"

I dunno about you, but I'd rather stay out of a courtroom. Things get expensive and life gets complicated in there.....

The situation you outlined happens all the time. Someone from a free state moves in with their guns and isn't required to FA10 them, then sells them in a face to face transaction. It's one way to get an off-list gun in this state.

Your trolling to get people on a forum that we know is monitored by the AG's office to post that they may have violated state law?
Go play in traffic.

Back
Top Bottom