Boston Police Officer hit by ricocheting bullet

Why would you contact the news media in the first place? Maybe it was a "Fast & Furious" linked firearm!!!

Because it shows that even in the hands of aTrained Law Enforcement Professional, guns are exceptionally dangerous, and as likely to injure you as your inended target. [rolleyes]

either that or, "If it bleeds, it leads."

Getting hit by a jacket is not 'getting shot'. [rolleyes]

Not to single you out, but it sounds to me like lots of people don't know how bad ricochets can be. The bullet doesn't always fragment. A bad bounce off of steel or a rock in the backstop and send the whole bullet intact.

At another gun forum, a local meetup ended with a participant taking 200gr of lead from steel target at 15 yards. It penetrated several inches into his chest, and punctured a lung. I've seen the X-rays, and the .45ACP bullet is only slightly deformed.

Bullets at high speed need to be respected, even when they bounce.

At another gun forum, a local meetup ended with a participant taking 200gr of lead from steel target at 15 yards. It penetrated several inches into his chest, and punctured a lung. I've seen the X-rays, and the .45ACP bullet is only slightly deformed.

In my opinion, shooting at steel target from that close is just asking for problems and/or confirming Darwin's theory.

In my opinion, shooting at steel target from that close is just asking for problems and/or confirming Darwin's theory.

15 yards is plenty of distance. 15 FEET, on the other hand, is asking for trouble.

ETA: That's assuming, of course, that the steel can move (swing, pivot, etc.) when hit, which will dissipate a lot of the energy instead of sending it back at you.

Last edited:
15 yards is plenty of distance. 15 FEET, on the other hand, is asking for trouble.

ETA: That's assuming, of course, that the steel can move (swing, pivot, etc.) when hit, which will dissipate a lot of the energy instead of sending it back at you.

It was 15 yards on a spinner. Presumably, the round simply hit the steel frame, or a rock in the background, or....?

The point is that not all ricochets are jackets.

... but it sounds to me like lots of people don't know how bad ricochets can be. The bullet doesn't always fragment. A bad bounce off of steel or a rock in the backstop and send the whole bullet intact.

Fully agree with you, wasn't making any comment on how 'bad' it was, simply how BAD the journalism (or lack thereof) was. Getting SHOT would be having a gun pointed at you, trigger pulled, bullet connecting.

No matter how bad the ricochet was (bullet, jacket, fragment, etc), it's not 'getting shot by a ricocheted bullet'.

They should charge him with a crime. -Just like a civilian. Would WE be under more scrutiny? I think So. Let the cops be under the same laws as us. Until then, piss on 'em. I'm sick of cops getting special treatment.

Maybe when cops are under the same duress as civilians for every firearm related incident things will change. -Something tells me he won't be declared "unsuitable."

What crime would that be? Having a ricochet come back at you doesn't seem to fit any requirement for criminal activity.

Years ago (Many) my dad was shooting crows with a '97 Winchester, and a defective primer shot a piece into his eye (past the hammer, out the back of hte action).

John Law showed up at the hospital to investigate as it was a firearms-related injury.

And this was so long ago, he was at a piggery in Concord, Mass!

Back
Top Bottom