Boston murder-suicide

Boston Herald link

A 61-year-old computer consultant who police say shot his wife to death and then turned the gun on himself apparently changed his personal Web site to eerily announce the couple’s demise before the murder-suicide last night.

Police have identified the shooter as Christian Mogensen and his wife, 60-year-old Sharon Glassman, as the victim.

This morning, Mogensen’s Web site, www.mrmogensen.com, featured a photo of the couple on their wedding day, Christmas Eve 1996. Next to the photo are the couple’s names, individual birth dates and the same death date: “Sept. 28, 2008 R.I.P.” In the photo, the well-dressed pair is standing on City Hall plaza.

The couple’s bodies were found late last night or early this morning after a police SWAT team made their way to the 20th floor of the high-rise apartment building at 10 Emerson Place, which is part of the Charles River Park apartments.

Boston police spokeswoman Elaine Driscoll said the initial investigation indicates the couple died in a murder-suicide.

“At some point, officers entered the apartment and located a deceased male and female, apparently husband and wife, suffering from gunshot wounds,” she said. “The preliminary investigation suggests that it is a murder-suicide and that it was the husband that committed the suicide,” as well as the murder.

She said police are still investigating.

“It’s all unfolding,” she said.

A neighbor said the pair had lived in the building for about 10 years. Mogensen was a “computer geek” who helped out neighbors with their personal computer problems. Glassman worked at a Boston hospital, she said.

Mogensen is a self-employed Web developer/IT consultant, according to his resume posted online.

“It’s just overwhelming. I just can’t get over it. He was such a talented, funny guy. I can’t believe this happened,” said the woman, who didn’t want her name used.

The neighbor said she knew the couple casually, and never heard them argue.

“They seemed like a very, very compatible couple,” she said. “They were both computer types.”

The couple’s marriage certificate indicates it was a first marriage for both of them.

The neighbor described Glassman as “just delightful, always with a smile.”

The woman said although others in the building were evacuated while a SWAT team entered the building, she was told to stay inside.

“The police said, ‘Don’t open the door no matter what happens,’ ” she said.

Despite being just a few doors down from the couple, she said she didn’t hear gunshots.

Boston police said last night that a man called 911 at about 9:30 from Emerson Place saying he’d killed his wife and would commit suicide if police entered his apartment.

nope, i can see it

By John R. Ellement and Andrew Ryan, Globe Staff

A man who Boston police say was responsible for an apparent murder-suicide last night in a West End high-rise announced the couple's deaths on his own website.

The man was identified by police today as Christian Mogensen, 61. His wife was 60-year-old Sharon Glassman.

Mogensen was a computer engineer who ran his own business out of their Emerson place apartment. He updated his website recently so it had an all black background and a sepia photograph of the couple in which they appear to be standing in City Hall Plaza on their wedding day, which is listed as Dec. 24, 1996.

On the website, he lists his name, his date of birth -- and his date of death of Sept. 28, 2008.

The same information is posted for Glassman -- her date of birth, her name, and the date of death of Sept. 28, 2008.

Glassman worked for the last two years at Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston, where she was an administrative assistant in the burn center.

"Sharon was a vibrant and beloved member of our community -- we offer our support and our prayers and extend our sympathies to her family and friends,'' hospital spokesman Peter Brown said in a statement.

Between 2004 and 2006, she held similar support staff position in the radiology department at Massachusetts General Hospital, an MGH spokeswoman said today.

Mogensen did not use his Web page to explain his homicidal actions. The couple did not have a divorce action pending in Eastern Massachusetts probate courts, according to a court official.

According to a law enforcement source, Mogensen made a 911 call around 10:30 p.m. and told the dispatcher, "Just killed my wife. When you come to the door, I am going to shoot myself.''

Police called in their SWAT team and evacuated portions of the high-rise on Emerson Place, near Massachusetts General Hospital. Police eventually entered the Mogensens' apartment on the 20th floor.

"When officers entered, they first observed a white female lying unresponsive," police said today in a statement. "Officers also observed an unresponsive white male in the apartment. Both victims were pronounced on scene.''

Damn. His site does have the information listed...

Christian Mogensen
January 8, 1947 - September 28, 2008
R.I.P.

Sharon Glassman
October 26, 1947 - September 28, 2008
R.I.P.

cityhall2.jpg

on their wedding day, December 24, 1996

Well...it does make for an easier investigation and BPD gets a stat for a cleared homicide.[wink]

On a serious note may they R.I.P.

just block cookies from Boston.com in your web browsers tool section and you won't get the annoying you must register page.

God rest both of their souls, and pray for their family and friends.

[sorry, I forgot about the BGlobe registration]

I hope this news story doesn't drop from sight, though I fear it will.

It seems such an outlier that I'm curious about the circumstances.

Could it be that the home was a condo, and it was foreclosed? Was his life savings invested in Lehmann Bros.?

And even, did he have an LTC (assuming a handgun)? In Boston?

[sorry, I forgot about the BGlobe registration]

I hope this news story doesn't drop from sight, though I fear it will.

It seems such an outlier that I'm curious about the circumstances.

Could it be that the home was a condo, and it was foreclosed? Was his life savings invested in Lehmann Bros.?

And even, did he have an LTC (assuming a handgun)? In Boston?

I believe that all the units in Emerson place are rental apartments. The print version of the Globe yesterday indicated that the couple was several months past due on rent and that eviction was immanent. They also reported that neither of the people had license of any kind.

Sad story.

Back
Top Bottom