Boston LTC-A range requirement

I tried to find information on this but I was unable to. Does anyone know if you have to get qualified at the Moon Island range for a Boston LTC-A? I took my test a few months ago at the Boston Firearms Training Center in Everett, I'm hoping that I can use that "certificate" and not have to do it all over again.

sadly you still do have to go to moon island but Boston Firearms has the same pistols that moon island uses so i think you can go back and they let you shoot them

I tried to find information on this but I was unable to. Does anyone know if you have to get qualified at the Moon Island range for a Boston LTC-A? I took my test a few months ago at the Boston Firearms Training Center in Everett, I'm hoping that I can use that "certificate" and not have to do it all over again.

This is where I did my class. The instructor was very thorough and included live fire at the end. Im surprised he didn't mention Moon Island to you and whether or not it's required. Seeing how it's Boston you're looking for, I'm pretty sure it's required.

Has anyone taken their multi state course?
http://www.bostonfirearms.com/class...est-39-state-carry-license-ma-ut-fl-me-nh-ct/

Boston PD and Brookline PD both require the Moon Island test with a .38Spl revolver. Only difference is that Brookline lets you take it with any BFS Certified instructor at your own expense (instead of "free" at Moon Island) and if you fail, Brookline makes you wait x months (I think it's 6 months, haven't checked in a while) before you can do a re-do. Boston lets you try again whenever you are ready and there is a slot available.

I see. I took the test in Everett because I was in Brookline at the time and was told I could do that. Was gonna move to a more gun friendly town but...obviously I didn't and that's a whole nother story

Yes I took the test last April; very easy to pass

Easy for some people.

I had a woman student who lived in Boston. She was older and was in the midst of stage 4 lung cancer. She had a couple guns from when she used to target shoot with her late husband. She didn't shoot anymore, but wanted to keep them as a memory of her husband.

It was a brutal winter and she was scheduled to take the test in February. Standing out in the cold was simply not something she could manage. Add to that the fact that she didn't have the hand strength to manage a double-action trigger.

She gave up her license instead. It was a damn shame.

The guys at Moon Island were great when I went there. Aside from it being a 14 degree January morning, the test wasn't difficult.

Easy for some people.

I had a woman student who lived in Boston. She was older and was in the midst of stage 4 lung cancer. She had a couple guns from when she used to target shoot with her late husband. She didn't shoot anymore, but wanted to keep them as a memory of her husband.

It was a brutal winter and she was scheduled to take the test in February. Standing out in the cold was simply not something she could manage. Add to that the fact that she didn't have the hand strength to manage a double-action trigger.

Not to be crass but she is a dead woman walking anyway. (My wife is a BC survivor so I'm up on this stuff, and the stage 4 - 1 year survival rate is less than 10%.) Why even bother with an LTC. Tell her to save the $100 and have some fun. Its the perfect time to exercise some civil disobedience. How's that song go? Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose. There is literally NOTHING they could do to her.

She's got a few months to live. She should do whatever she wants to do. Very sad.

Easy for some people.

+1. I can't stand the range test apologists (no one in this thread). Yeah, it's easy if you're young, strong, don't have arthritis, there's not a 20 MPH wind blowing freezing salt water in your face, and you didn't have to take an unpaid day off and hire a babysitter.

Not to be crass but she is a dead woman walking anyway. (My wife is a BC survivor so I'm up on this stuff, and the stage 4 - 1 year survival rate is less than 10%. Why even bother with an LTC. Tell her to save the $100 and have some fun. Its the perfect time to exercise some civil disobedience. How's that song go? Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose.

Yes, she was dying.

But it was her wish to keep her guns while she was alive. Is that too much for her to ask?

At some point, we will all be old, have bad eyes, arthritic hands, and such a test will also be too much for us also.

Why couldn't she keep her guns? (I'm sorry officer, I sold them out of state. Done) I dont' want to argue. Its a heart wrenching situation.

Some people just don't have it in them to break the law. If she was my friend or relative, I'd tell her to lie and just keep them. And to carry if she wished.

One thing I noticed when my wife was going through treatment (Stage 1, clean for 15 years and 2 gorgeous children since the diagnosis) is that she was pissed, angry and determined. I met other women who it seemed to take all their fight out of. They did not want any conflict. I guess it depends on the wperson.

I'm not feeling the whole "shoot with one hand" bit either. I'd rather leave that kind of practice and training for the range and not for a test, easy as it may or may not be. But I don't know if that's actually a requirement or if they just let you shoot with two hands the whole way through

For a qualification test, being able to demonstrate that you can shoot with reasonable accuracy with one hand makes sense. The part that I don't agree with is the requirement for passing a qualification test to exercise your 2nd Amendment rights in the first place.

For a qualification test, being able to demonstrate that you can shoot with reasonable accuracy with one hand makes sense.
I totally agree with you on that, in a self-defense scenario chances are you'll be shooting one handed. But why .38? I know quite a few decent shots who haven't fired a revolver in years. It's like requiring you to take a driving test in a 40's car with unsynchronized manual transmission.

The reason behind the revolver is it's safer on the range,and they are not there to teach you.

I totally agree with you on that, in a self-defense scenario chances are you'll be shooting one handed. But why .38? I know quite a few decent shots who haven't fired a revolver in years. It's like requiring you to take a driving test in a 40's car with unsynchronized manual transmission.

Because that's the way they've always done it.

Yes, she was dying.

But it was her wish to keep her guns while she was alive. Is that too much for her to ask?

At some point, we will all be old, have bad eyes, arthritic hands, and such a test will also be too much for us also.

This is the truest fact of life that younger, stronger and healthy people just can't wrap their heads around. Few have empathy for the aging. If the unsympathetic are lucky, they will live long enough to find out how awesome the aging process can be and how annoying it is to have "young whippersnappers" speak so coldly about "senior citizens."

Best regards.

The guys at Moon Island were great when I went there. Aside from it being a 14 degree January morning, the test wasn't difficult.
The best thing about the test is that Boston has to pay for it! I get satisfaction out of that.

The other fact that pleases me is the first time I went out there (a cold March day) I was the only one. The second time, there were three of us. And the last time: all the lanes were filled, including a number of minorities and three women. All but two passed, and it was clear they'd barely handled a pistol before.

With the demands of domestic and imported terrorists, large public events, drugs, gangs. etc, BPD is not very enthusiastic about doing these tests. Nothing will change in Walsh's first term, but if he gets reelected, I can see it being on the table as a cost reduction: maybe one out of four.

I agree that it is particularly difficult for elderly people in the winter. If you know someone who is facing that situation, pm me and I can offer some advice.

The way I see it is that yes it does make sense to have those one-handed shots for a qualification test, but making that a mandatory part of the process to carry concealed is a bit overboard. Should let me worry about off-hand or one-handed shots on my own time without worrying about hitting a certain score. And for what? Because I might need to use one hand in a real life scenario? Well, I may have to shoot with my toes too if both my arms are disabled but I don't see them asking me to practice shooting with my feet.

Anyway, I don't mean to make a big stink about it. It is what it is

The test is not hard,and I see nothing wrong with it. The problem I see is that you have to take the test even for a restricted LTC,or even like stated before just to be able to keep the guns at home.

The test is not hard,and I see nothing wrong with it. The problem I see is that you have to take the test even for a restricted LTC,or even like stated before just to be able to keep the guns at home.

What's wrong with it is that it exists in the first place and stands between a citizen and his ability to exercise a RIGHT.

For a qualification test, being able to demonstrate that you can shoot with reasonable accuracy with one hand makes sense. The part that I don't agree with is the requirement for passing a qualification test to exercise your 2nd Amendment rights in the first place.

Perfectly said.

If my club wants to insist on qualifications for the use of certain ranges. Fine. I can join another club if I don't like it.

I can't work with an alternate Government.

Do I believe that training requirements and proficiency qualifications make people safer? Yes. But that isn't a judgement that society gets to make when it comes to firearms RIGHTS. As such, I think people should get some "ab initio" instruction as well as recurring training. But it should not be required.

Last edited:
Moon Island usually does not require the one handed shooting anymore. Just 12 double action up close and 18 your choice single or double at long.

Try to grab the bucket with the blued SW 586 featuring novak sights if you can. Much better than the other tired revolvers.

Last edited:
Easy for some people.

It's also a shame that she didn't pull the ADA card! I doubt that the Boston test would withstand that sort of challenge. I'd love to see someone fight it by using that federal law.

Over the years I've trained >50 people to take the Moon Island test. All but one passed on the first attempt. The one failure had failed once before seeing me, was super nervous, kept saying that they were going to deny him the whole time I met with him, was sweating profusely and didn't take to the instruction (most rounds never hit the paper and I have them shoot 30 rds on the same target and same course of fire that BPD uses) and failed once more after that. He was a young guy too.

My Wife has arthritis in her hand and wasn't able to pull the hammer back on her S&W 64. Luckily we don't live where she has to test with a revolver.

It's also a shame that she didn't pull the ADA card! I doubt that the Boston test would withstand that sort of challenge.
Attorney Karen MacNutt argued limited hand strength in court regarding the range test and lost, however, I think that was because it was heard in marsupial (ie, state) court. The outcome might be different if it was brought as an ADA focused case in federal court.

Attorney Karen MacNutt argued limited hand strength in court regarding the range test and lost, however, I think that was because it was heard in marsupial (ie, state) court. The outcome might be different if it was brought as an ADA focused case in federal court.

IIRC that case was before ADA became law. Different battlefield today.

Back
Top Bottom